Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Problem description: My new build doesn't boot up, or at least doesn't give me any graphics signal. I was using it with the stock AMD cooler for the past few days waiting for a FUMA 2 to show up. After I installed that, the computer starts to boot, all the fans and LEDs turn on, then the GPU LED turns off (with fans still spinning), and I get a white QLED labelled VGA. Sometimes this LED turns off, and then I get the yellow Boot QLED, and sometimes both come on. My monitor acts like it's plugged in and gives me a "no signal" message instead of the "cable not plugged in".

My assumption was I somehow got too much thermal paste on something, so I cleaned everything and reseated CPU first. Everything else is listed below.

Attempted fixes: I have tried reseating RAM, CPU, CPU cooler, GPU (twice), M.2 SSD, all cables, swapped VGA power cables that came with my PSU, tried my DVI cable in both ports, and an HDMI cable. I also tried using the the BIOS flashback to reinstall the latest version (2407) and one previous stable release (2403).

No onboard graphics on this CPU, so I can't try booting without the GPU.

Recent changes: Like I said, the last thing I did was install the CPU cooler.

--

Operating system: Win10

System specs: Here is my build list from PCPartPicker

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 1070 Ti
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact TG Dark Tint ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

The GPU and my monitor are the only things reused from my old build.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

If all else fails, I can post some build pictures and someone can idiot check me, because I feel like it must be something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Some initial things to try:

-Try using only one stick of RAM.

-Disconnect non-essentials like HDDs and SSDs, keyboard, mouse etc.

-Try another GPU.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

So I tried everything except the new GPU, and didn't get anything different. I also tried switching PCIe ports and tried using a different boot drive other than the M.2. No change. Instead, I plugged the GPU back into my old computer, and now I don't get any signal on that either.

Does this mean my GPU is dead?

Quick edit: Plugged in a different DP cable to a different monitor. I get a black, but backlit screen, same as the original monitor, so it must be putting out some sort of signal.

Deeters fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 22, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Deeters posted:

Instead, I plugged the GPU back into my old computer, and now I don't get any signal on that either.

Does this mean my GPU is dead?

Sounds like a good chance it is dead.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
If you have good eyes or a magnifying solution check the capacitors on the edge of the GPU near the pci-e connector. I've seen these get knocked off. A competent repair shop could fix that. Also inspect the board, did your screwdriver slip at any point you can remember?

Ebay cpus with on board graphics can help diagnose too.

As an aside, Isn't the LED for BOOT generally green?