Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Problem description:
When it's focused, the FPS of one single program (PCSX2) won't exceed my monitor's refresh rate (75Hz) even though I'd told the emulator to go as fast as possible. BUT, when I switch focus to another program, whatever's causing the limit goes away and the FPS pushes up to the emulator's internal cap (120fps). When I click on the windows again the 75fps limit kicks back in.

Attempted fixes:
Vsync is app-specific off in the nvidia control panel, there's no FPS limits in there either. Afterburner/RTSS FPS limit is app-specific off. Toggled gsync on and off.

Recent changes:
Changed from ATI to NVidia Gpu. Yes, I did a full DDU.

Operating system:
Win 10, 21H1, 19043.1165

System specs:
3700x/NVidia 3800/Asus X570-P Prime

UK
I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
PCSX2 and other older emulators in windowed mode can exhibit odd behavior with desktop composition in modern OSs. Take a look at this. I've dealt with something similar before myself and the fix definitely involved a restart. You may need global vsync off because it's actually the desktop that is limiting your refresh rate. Try forcing triple buffering on as well, if you can that will stop the flipping from being gated by the OS readying for refresh.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 21, 2021

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Ta for the advice. Somewhere between flipping stuff on/off from the NV control panel and installing the newest drivers, it went away and I've got no idea why.

Windows, eh? :shrug: