Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

So, didn't know where on here to talk about this stuff, but we've all gotta have thoughts on it I'd figure. I know we've got rules against asking where to get copyrighted files and stuff like that, this is just a discussion of the topics.

Long story short, Verizon is blocking the main popular anime manga torrent tracker (recent forks of it anyway - the original closed in 2017), at least its main mirrors. And at least one other site mentioned in articles. I was pretty surprised to read about that, I know net neutrality is dead, but I wasn't ready for this un-anime dystopian future. It just isn't right.

I have a Crunchyroll subscription, and I also use netflix/hulu/prime, and I've bought many an anime DVD in my time. But as we know, you've still gotta have cool groups fansubbing ancient and unloved by licensors in the west series. Plus there are cool blu-ray versions of stuff that doesn't get released here etc, as connoisseurs we deserve this stuff. Plus not all countries get the licensed stuff.

Also, Sony bought Crunchyroll recently, and owns most of the anime streaming sites, Funimation etc, maybe that's a topic worth noting too.

Either way, I understand that they try to shut down these sites, and I read some hacker news article that says nyaa was hosted by a russian cloudflare type of host thing that apparently is pro piracy and ignoring governments like US saying to close stuff. I'm not sure how sourced the article was. But at least I get it when say a what.cd gets closed, the people running it took risks, and they closed it. But an ISP invisibly just not letting you connect to a site, making you think it might just be down unless you google and find articles about an ISP blocking it etc, that's just shady stuff.

Apparently you can use a VPN to get on those sites anyway, and there is still at least one mirror that works for me at the moment. But this is a questionable direction for the future of art/entertainment preservation.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i think this fight has been long lost

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I would like to formally endorse the cool techno crime of anime piracy.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pay for your hobbies, coward

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

You can't pay for the fansub of some unlicensed gem! And I shouldn't have to watch my blurry DVD of a thing that has a cool bluray in Japan, I've got rights. I own all eight boxsets of Maison Ikkoku. I own more anime than you can possibly imagine, to quote Obi-Wan.

America has not seen fit to release every Lupin the Third outing. What kind of life would that be, not seeing every Lupin? And the ones they did release are often a zillion years later. It's unspeakable quite frankly. Not to mention the toku that won't see the light of day in the states. These poor Kamen riding bastards are supposed to just stop riding, a life with no Kamen Riding at all?

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 21, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Well, to be fair, most of them don't ride these days.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

"Get Ride: Am Driver", that's what I always say.

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010
Buy Golden Kamuy and Dungeon Meshi volumes. Pirate everything else.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
do what you want cuz a pirate is free, you are a pirate

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Davincie posted:

i think this fight has been long lost

As long as legal subs still do things like fail to subtitle songs or take the product placement out of Tiger and Bunny, the war is not yet lost.

Though I'm quietly horrified that we have a whole new generation of Madoka watchers who know nothing of Morning Rescue.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

do you think edward snowden likes dragonball or dragonball z more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Heavy Metal posted:

Long story short, Verizon is blocking the main popular anime manga torrent tracker (recent forks of it anyway - the original closed in 2017), at least its main mirrors. And at least one other site mentioned in articles. I was pretty surprised to read about that, I know net neutrality is dead, but I wasn't ready for this un-anime dystopian future. It just isn't right.

As I've posted elsewhere, Verizon isn't blocking nyaa and mangadex specifically, they are blocking the shady DDOS protection provider that both of those sites (and a bunch of malware sites) use. It sucks, but I guess that's the only working DDOS protection those grey-area sites were able to get and Verizon just has a blanket block on that company's IPs to protect their customers from clicking malware links whilst trying to help a Nigerian prince or buy embiggening pills or whatever. Nobody at Verizon gives a rat's rear end if you pirate anime or manga, unless one of the 5 giant American media conglomerates owns the rights to it.

Any VPN gets around it. Pain in the butt though.