Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My computer is doing weird poo poo and rebooting on mouse clicks, or just after 40 minutes of playing low end games like The Long Dark ,Total War Rome 2. These games will crash when clicking on the mouse for any reason, or just fail after 40min.
The computer just clicks, cuts power, and then reboots as if nothing happens. The mouse takes about 20 seconds to get full sensitively afterwards.

But has no problem running Metro Exodus, Horizon Zero Dawn for hours. I can run these games forever, put them in pause mode and walk away, for just let them sit idle. No crashes or reboots.

I suspect this is a usb shock/grounding issue since my mouse is the newest piece of hardware but that doesnt make sense. What do I do to diagnose this problem further?

Windows
CPU: INTEL i5 7600k
RAM: oof 16 gigs DDr something something Corsair
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z270-A
VCARD: Gerforce GTX 1080
an SSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd try these steps in this order:

-Make sure W10 is fully updated.

-Run DDU https://www.wagnardsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3711 and then install the latest GPU drivers again.

-Use onboard video temporarily.

-Run http://hdsentinel.com/ to check SSD health.

-Run http://memtest.org/ overnight to check RAM health.

BTW what is your PSU make/model and how old is it? If it was failing it could cause reboots.

Gaj posted:

I suspect this is a usb shock/grounding issue since my mouse is the newest piece of hardware but that doesnt make sense. What do I do to diagnose this problem further?

Your motherboard has a PS/2 port so you could try another older mouse temporarily if you have one. They also make USB to PS/2 port adapters.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Yeah check all your ports too, make sure none are damaged. Cord frayed on any USB device? Check both ends.

Generally a short will shut the computer off without attempting to restart itself but not always. To be sure it restarts by itself yeah? Set bios to defaults. Reset cmos... Save your game often.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
SSD clear, drivers cleared, mem test fine.

I have fiddled around with moving the mouse to a new usb socket. The crashing went away for how long its been since I posted this thread. But now all games are crashing after 5 minutes. Its def a weird short and I think Imma just rebuild the system, keeping the vcard until they become non-extinct.

Last post, then I guess mods can lock or let one more piece of advice in. In frustraion I reinstalled the nvidia drivers and changed mouse ports. No more crashes, at least for now.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 26, 2021

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Good plan to rebuild. Take the whole board out even, gently clean it, then boot it on cardboard boxes to see if it restarts still. Take the power supply out to do that. You can quickly short the power on pins so nothing but power, mouse/kb and video are connected.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Another thought. Did you install mouse software for it? Maybe that's crashing?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
What mouse and what software? Mouse software is all garbage and any of them instantly rebooting a system would not shock me at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
The delay of dpi adjustment is the tell. Its as bad as "free DVD player" programs on prebuilts.