Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Problem description:

I've recently received a message that my Windows isn't up to date and I went to Windows Update and was greeted with the following message: "Your device is missing important security and quality fixes." I clicked the check for updates button but was not presented with a way to update my computer.

I downloaded the windows update manually from this link and attempted to run the installer, and after running through some of the installation the application showed a page with the title: " What needs your attention" that tells me to manually uninstall VirtualBox.

I uninstalled VirtualBox and tried the installation again, but I received the same message that I needed to manually uninstall VirtualBox.

I eventually stumbled onto an article that showed how to find update logs and found the logs that showed what drivers were causing the issue. One was a Windows print to PDF driver that I disabled and the other that I found in the file oem81.inf is SAMSUNG Escape USB Diagnostic Serial Port driver. I can't figure out how to remove the Samsung driver and I need help with that.

Howtogeek article that I found about the issue.

I found the log file for the manual windows update installer, and it had the following entries.

<DriverPackage Inf="oem80.inf" BlockMigration="True" HasSignedBinaries="False"/>
<DriverPackage Inf="oem15.inf" BlockMigration="True" HasSignedBinaries="False"/>

The oem15.inf was a windows print to pdf file, which I disabled temporarily. I then looked at the oem81.inf file and found in the comments that it's function is "Install SAMSUNG Escape USB Diagnostic Serial Port driver"

I could not find any mention of Samsung in Device Manager or Add or Remove programs. I found the .sys file location. It's at c:\windows\system32\drivers\ssudserd.sys. Can I just safely delete this file to "uninstall" the driver or are there any toher steps I can take. I found some diagnostic files with more info that I'll paste down at the bottom.

Attempted fixes: I've tried removing the driver through add or remove programs and device manager but I couldn't find in either of those places.
Recent changes: No recent changes

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

System specs:

CPU: Intel i7-4820K
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 16GM

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

I found this in diJbpJpnlUWSbLEh.4.0.0.29.66.3.6.0.0_APPRAISER_HumanReadable.xml

<PropertyList Type="Inventory">
<Property Name="AssetType" Value="DriverBinary" Ordinal="1" />
<Property Name="DriverCheckSum" Value="226396" Ordinal="16" />
<Property Name="DriverCompany" Value="DEVGURU Co., LTD.(https://www.devguru.co.kr)" Ordinal="8" />
<Property Name="DriverId" Value="000023bca6dad98ae0ee70725c2aff68240747331098" Ordinal="3" />
<Property Name="DriverInBox" Value="0" Ordinal="10" />
<Property Name="DriverIsKernelMode" Value="1" Ordinal="12" />
<Property Name="DriverLastWriteTime" Value="06/16/2014 06:01:38" Ordinal="13" />
<Property Name="DriverName" Value="ssudserd.sys" Ordinal="4" />
<Property Name="DriverSigned" Value="1" Ordinal="11" />
<Property Name="DriverTimeStamp" Value="1402365232" Ordinal="15" />
<Property Name="DriverType" Value="8650826" Ordinal="14" />
<Property Name="DriverVersion" Value="2.11.10.0" Ordinal="5" />
<Property Name="FullPath" Value="c:\windows\system32\drivers\ssudserd.sys" Ordinal="2" />
<Property Name="ImageSize" Value="197120" Ordinal="17" />
<Property Name="Product" Value="SAMSUNG USB Mobile Logging Device Driver (MSS Ver.3)" Ordinal="6" />
<Property Name="ProductVersion" Value="2.11.10.0" Ordinal="7" />
<Property Name="Service" Value="ssudserd" Ordinal="9" />
</PropertyList>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Terebus posted:

I found the .sys file location. It's at c:\windows\system32\drivers\ssudserd.sys. Can I just safely delete this file to "uninstall" the driver or are there any toher steps I can take. I found some diagnostic files with more info that I'll paste down at the bottom.

You could try moving the file out of there temporarily and seeing what happens. Possibly in safe mode.

You could also just try installing W10 updates in safe mode and see if it lets you run it.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Hey, it was two things. I found some old VirtualBox files on a drive I was just using as storage and deleted them, but that didn't solve it. I then tried basically what you suggested, I renamed the file to have a .old extension, restarted, then ran the installer and it worked. Thanks for the reply!

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Man, sometimes thinking way *inside* the box helps too.