Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Felt like the old thread could use a reboot.

Here is a a chill chat for LGBT folk to talk about their day and people to discuss queer manga and what have you.

This is NOT a shoujo thread replacement.

Be mindful of oversharing personal details the could get you into trouble.

Also be mindful of the content of anything you share or link here.

Allies are banned after too many bad takes in the previous thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
wait did you just completely delete the old thread / remove it from public view

did something really serious happen in the thread in the few hours since i last looked at the forums or what

lih fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 26, 2021

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Nothing serious happened. I just felt it was a good idea to make sure no Personal Information was lingering around when the thread got rebooted.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
uh, if someone asked then i get why you wouldnt want to call attention to it but then they or you would have just edited their posts so i cant imagine why this was necessary unprompted. people read archived threads. it's... why the site keeps them around. is the choice to share or protect personal information not up to the posters?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, because it seems to me that there's so very very little anime and manga that feature bisexual characters?

I know, demographically speaking, we probably make up the smallest percentage - but it seems if there is a bisexual character in a manga, it's at best a friend of the protagonist or something similar, and they never seem to actually end up with someone.

Not that I in any way, shape or form don't like reading gay, lesbian, transgender, queer, or straight manga - I just wish there was more that included bisexual characters.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if you're just looking for bi chars who are featured at all i can really say is i think you encounter them a lot in the wild, so to speak. but while i'd call it common there's absolutely a shortage of introspectives on the subject; it's rarely a character focus and even less so crucial to the main plot. so it's hard to find a lot of anime/manga to go into for its bisexuality specifically and i just end up latching onto random character moments like the aoki ume contribution to an azumanga daioh guest anthology with a pun on the japanese meaning of 'viking' (it's what they call a buffet)

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, because it seems to me that there's so very very little anime and manga that feature bisexual characters?

I know, demographically speaking, we probably make up the smallest percentage - but it seems if there is a bisexual character in a manga, it's at best a friend of the protagonist or something similar, and they never seem to actually end up with someone.

Not that I in any way, shape or form don't like reading gay, lesbian, transgender, queer, or straight manga - I just wish there was more that included bisexual characters.

time to recommend Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku again. the main characters are two bi disasters and a trans lesbian (also a disaster)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

This is kind of a function of the bl/yuri 'genres.' On one hand them being genres allows for way more works in their field and an inbuilt audience that can follow the beats and tropes, and a very solid history to play around with, crib from, and reference, which are all healthy things for art to have, but on the other hand them being 'the gay' and 'the lesbian' genre means that they don't get into the 'gray areas,' as it were, much.

like space said this is something that's more common in stuff that isn't specifically about 'being gay/gay romances.' a ton of fate/ and type moon characters are bi, for instance, like alexander and gil from fate/zero. heck, theres an argument to be made that shirou, the protag of f/sn, is bi, given some of his interactions with his male best friend and a few bits in spinoff material, but obviously that isnt a major component of fsn itself. fate/grand order actually does get into it a little bit, medb's bi arc is one of the more subtle bits of characterization in the game, but you and i both have better things to do with our lives than play a gacha game for bi representation, even if it is kinda cool.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Space Flower posted:

if you're just looking for bi chars who are featured at all i can really say is i think you encounter them a lot in the wild, so to speak. but while i'd call it common there's absolutely a shortage of introspectives on the subject; it's rarely a character focus and even less so crucial to the main plot. so it's hard to find a lot of anime/manga to go into for its bisexuality specifically and i just end up latching onto random character moments like the aoki ume contribution to an azumanga daioh guest anthology with a pun on the japanese meaning of 'viking' (it's what they call a buffet)

I mean, sure, that's an excellent example of it being a minor trait - and in so far as it doesn't really change who the character is, it's good.
I do think you're onto something, though - I think what I want is more introspective stuff.
Though since I also really like puns, that one is definitely very good.

Thuryl posted:

time to recommend Himegoto: Juukyuusai no Seifuku again. the main characters are two bi disasters and a trans lesbian (also a disaster)
I guess I'd also kinda prefer it to not be disasters, and have the characters have a happy end.
I guess it's a lot to ask.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if prism werent cancelled it wouldve delivered us the drunken bi teacher content

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Space Flower posted:

uh, if someone asked then i get why you wouldnt want to call attention to it but then they or you would have just edited their posts so i cant imagine why this was necessary unprompted. people read archived threads. it's... why the site keeps them around. is the choice to share or protect personal information not up to the posters?

Yeah that's a good point, I'll ask an admin to move it back. If anyone has anything they want removed from the thread, they can edit it out themselves or ask me to do so.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

if prism werent cancelled it wouldve delivered us the drunken bi teacher content
prism being cancelled was homophobia

blue flag has some bi characters but i didnt really like blue flag's ending. shame cause some of the chapters early on were good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also I don't need to be the thread OP, if everythingwasbees want's to make their own thread OP they can, and I'll close this one.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think there's bi characters often enough in yuri these days, but their bisexuality is usually not much of a focal point even if it's a major character

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

there is the genderswap thing that reverses the genderswap and just becomes a gay dudes story later that has the two bi characters who end up together im forgetting the name of

room for two has a side character but they make a deal out of her being kinda slutty so i can imagine people being bothered by that but i like her and she ends up making up one of the main side couples

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

lih posted:

i think there's bi characters often enough in yuri these days, but their bisexuality is usually not much of a focal point even if it's a major character
There really isn't, unless you're talking about the platonic love portrayals that sometimes gets tagged as 'shoujo ai'.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i mean it does pop up but its often like something that gets mention about the character like once initially. there was just a character in whispering you a love song but she showed up like 2 chapters so didn't felt worth mentioning but it wasn't really a minor thing with her and she was in a relationship. for an on going thing i would argue for Ise-san and Shima-san which had a whole chapter dedicated to the one lady being into a dude but i guess people would call the main relationship subtext even though the author is posting tweets of her gnawing on the lady character when drunk.

i think it pops up way more in like, stuff trying to depict the actual reality of being lgbt then the typical romance thing. also i get the impression i see it more in korean stuff too for whatever reason? like the initial premise of It Would be Great if You Didn't Exist is the two ladies end up dating each other after their discover their lovely boyfriend has been cheating on them with the other and both realizing they find the other hot.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Aug 26, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
anyway i believe bees is still going to want the old thread closed even when it comes back. i can make an OP for a new one if Julia plans to close this one too, probably be best to have the OP by someone who posted in the thread regularly and I posted way too much so...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

anyway i believe bees is still going to want the old thread closed even when it comes back. i can make an OP for a new one if Julia plans to close this one too, probably be best to have the OP by someone who posted in the thread regularly and I posted way too much so...
oh yeah having a new thread is fine, the old ones been around for like two? years?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

:ninja:EDIT: Actually, I'll respond to this conversation in the new thread once it gets created.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: same ^^^

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

:ninja:EDIT: Actually, I'll respond to this conversation in the new thread once it gets created.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3977589&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post517254982

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

renessia
Mar 25, 2020

everybody's big sister
I like girls and manga about girls :)