Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Champloo is more heavily slanted towards comedy which unfortunately ends up making the more dramatic episodes land with a thud. And when Champloo's comedy is off like the zombie episode or the Christian cult with six shooters it can quickly turn to cringe.

I think one of the unsung heros of the Bebop production staff has to be Keiko Nobumoto. People tend to look at Bebop and focus on Watanabe's directorial style or Yoko Kanno's music but not as much on Nobumoto's hand in writing the screenplay. While I don't care too much for Wolf's Rain her other stuff tends to be stellar especially when she collaborates with Watanabe. The dialogue as written feels really removed from typical anime dialogue and its especially amplified when you throw the solid voice performances on top. It's sounds a lot more like natural casual conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Champloo is more heavily slanted towards comedy which unfortunately ends up making the more dramatic episodes land with a thud. And when Champloo's comedy is off like the zombie episode or the Christian cult with six shooters it can quickly turn to cringe.

Yeah, it's weird. Both series are very episodic but Champloo feels - and I don't even even mean this in a bad way - kinda pointless? It just doesn't have the same character moments as Bebop and it definitely feels not as engaging.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Champloo is a vibes anime. Its more about vibing with the sick soundtrack and the cool action. It is mostly pointless! The trio never quite reach the same interpersonal connection that you feel the Bebop team has.

In my personal opinion the first episode of Champloo is one of the best, and I probably wouldnt put the first episode of CBB in the top 5. I think thats a problem because it starts off really strong but then has a really uneven run after.

I think the a lot of the 2 parters are pretty good like Mugen's backstory 2 parter (the drum track that plays as he walks towards his ex and brutally destroys her new squeeze is amazing) and the final one. I also liked the baseball episode and the one where Mugen gets caught up with a ninja.

Overall it is a tier below cowboy bebop but I have a soft spot in my heart for Champloo.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Champloo is nowhere near as thematically rich as Bebop, but the animation is beautiful, and the soundtrack is fantastic (RIP Nujabes), so I still have a soft spot for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And it is funny. It's really funny. The baseball episode alone is funnier than almost anything in Bebop.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Y'all talking about Samurai Champloo when Michiko To Hatchin and Ergo Proxy are right there.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bebop is a successful amalgamation of like 7 genres, not sure there will ever be anything like it. Also due to that and inevitable Netflix budget constraints I’m doubtful the live action can do it justice but I guess we’ll find out.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Netflix Space Dandy when

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

algebra testes posted:

Netflix Space Dandy when

Depends on if the fridge is in the show.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Ballz posted:

Finished my rewatch of the show last night, it was as good as I remembered it. Going to watch the movie tonight and when I went to pull the DVD out of my box set (the original set from the early 2000s) I had forgotten at one point I printed out a custom cover that was in line with the TV series DVDs:

Good news, everyone! I found a CD-R I burned in 2004 that contains this (and other) fan-made DVD covers.

I actually had three variations of the movie's cover, so if anyone is keen on making their long out-of-print DVD of the movie look more in line with their long out-of-print original DVD releases, click here to go hog wild.

Ballz fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 31, 2021

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ballz posted:

Good news, everyone! I found a CD-R I burned in 2004 that contains this (and other) fan-made DVD covers.

gently caress me, there's a blast from the past. I come across stacks of CD-Rs and CR-RWs I burned 15/20 years ago every now and again, with episodes of poo poo like Witch Hunter Robin or Trigun on them, along with albums pulled from Limewire or Napster. Ah, memories...:sigh:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

tsob posted:

gently caress me, there's a blast from the past. I come across stacks of CD-Rs and CR-RWs I burned 15/20 years ago every now and again, with episodes of poo poo like Witch Hunter Robin or Trigun on them, along with albums pulled from Limewire or Napster. Ah, memories...:sigh:

We’re now old enough to tell “Wild West” stories about the early internet... :corsair:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

We’re now old enough to tell “Wild West” stories about the early internet... :corsair:

"I saw a music video that combined music with ANIME! You kids might call it an anime music video! In fact, it was the popular series Cowboy Bebop and The Cure simulacrum VAST's song I'm Dying! It only took me an age to download but boy, when you did, you'd have yourself some fun! And of course I had an onion tied to my belt as was the style at the time."

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Dawgstar posted:

"I saw a music video that combined music with ANIME! You kids might call it an anime music video! In fact, it was the popular series Cowboy Bebop and The Cure simulacrum VAST's song I'm Dying! It only took me an age to download but boy, when you did, you'd have yourself some fun! And of course I had an onion tied to my belt as was the style at the time."

Oh man, I found multiple CDs I burned of old AMVs, among other things. Part of me feels obligated to upload this all to the Internet Archive or something, it’s a small sliver of Internet history that’s mostly forgotten.

Also found: fansubs of Martian Successor Nadesico. In RealMedia format. :v:

If nothing else I’ve been copying them off their CD-Rs, because who knows how much longer those things will last.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Downloading Evangelion-Engel in high quality MPEG-1 format at 56K, it takes up an incredible 55MB, which is the size of an entire anime episode in ASF or RM format

https://vimeo.com/327841102

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I've been watching this as well. I was never that crazy about it but re-watching has made me realise how good it really was at its best. Speak Like A Child definitely stands out to me as a truly great half hour of television, the peak of the show in my opinion

It seems like all my favourite episodes are mostly comedic. I think that's what it does best, this strange sometimes wacky comedic tone slightly disinterested in this much wider complex world they've made up. Little casual bits in the lives of these bored characters. I don't really like the movie much for that reason, I think. It's played more like a straight action movie and I don't find it representative of the show's best stuff (that's also probably why I don't like most of the episodes that similarly just try to be like standard action/sci-fi).

Space Dandy I basically like every episode of, or almost every episode. Just extremely whimsical and stupid comedy with proper in-depth animation. We may not look upon its like again...

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Are they going to brave enough to let Spike shoot a child in the head?

Edit: oops, wrong thread

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 31, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Putting The Real Folk Blues only at number 5? Interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXHrw28Sw34

Vagabong posted:

Are they going to brave enough to let Spike shoot a child in the head?
Are you talking about the live action adaptation?

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 31, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The gender stuff in Space Dandy can get pretty yikes at times. The Space Hooters recurring gag is loving terrible, and blatantly an excuse to shove decollitage on the screen.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Just finishing the rewatch of the show in anticipation of the anime, I agree with what previous posters have said in that there is nothing that really sticks out as a favourite episode as much as it being a character story throughout. It's the only anime I've particularly enjoyed all the way through and its largely the music that's the biggest part of it.

It looks like the anime adaption is going to be pretty on the nose and I for one am all for that, it's certainly got the style, can't wait till November 19th!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE60dIn6gCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcOguR_PdrY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWd9GhoRGy4

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Sounds like the anime will remain unsurpassed, and the live action remake marketing blitz will be the best thing to introduce new fans to the anime

https://twitter.com/CharlesPulliam/status/1459255434016083970
https://twitter.com/mistermainevent/status/1459179658449014784
https://twitter.com/clintworthing/status/1459177940550356995