Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Problem description: I have a hard disk with an NTFS partition on it and, amongst other things, 170GB of unallocated space. I want the NTFS partition to be 170GB bigger but for some reason I don't seem to have that option and I don't know why.

Attempted fixes: I started by shrinking the Ext4 partition to free up that 170GB and that worked fine, as far as I can tell. But when I try to resize the NTFS partition I can only make it smaller, not bigger.

Recent changes: N/A.

--

Operating system: Linux Mint 20.2 MATE 64-bit.

System specs: I can't remember any of this, but if it's relevant then I can probably find out, I guess?

I have Googled and read the FAQ: I did try googling it, but I don't see a FAQ anywhere here so I guess I didn't read that (if it still exists).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oprah
Nov 26, 2015
I think you can easily move the partition in the program gparted. Its graphical and simple to use, and it should be in the Mint package repositories. There are also a variety of live CDs that include gparted.
You really, really, really want to back up that partition first though (if anything important is located on it). An adverse event like a loss of power could mean data loss.

I dont think you can really "grow" a partition to the left, because a bunch of important information sits at the head of the partition. But all of the data can be copied left ("moving").

This FAQ might be relevant to you: https://gparted.org/faq.php
If this is a windows install, it should be ok being moved, since the install is GPT. If it was an older MBR style install, then there could be some issues with booting after moving the partiton.
Have fun, and be careful with your data.

Oprah fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 5, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oprah posted:

I think you can easily move the partition in the program gparted.
Yeah, this looks like it'll work. Thanks. :)

Oprah posted:

You really, really, really want to back up that partition first though (if anything important is located on it). An adverse event like a loss of power could mean data loss.
It's not important and it is backed up! 👍