Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
in more of an actual critique, do people vote comedy characters best gimmick? I feel like even the greatest comedy gimmick of all time (Mei Saint-Michel of NEO B) wouldn't top my list over Miro or Hanger because it just wouldn't occur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

in more of an actual critique, do people vote comedy characters best gimmick? I feel like even the greatest comedy gimmick of all time (Mei Saint-Michel of NEO B) wouldn't top my list over Miro or Hanger because it just wouldn't occur to me.

Recently it has been happening more and more.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

karmicknight posted:

Disco Inferno won Best Gimmick in 1995. Does that count?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Pylons posted:

Disco Inferno won Best Gimmick in 1995. Does that count?

Considering it was 1995, not really.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

MSM is drat near perfect as a character wrestler and it was a definite coinflip between her and pissboy Kenoh because both bring me so much joy whenever they're on screen

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

It got pointed out to me there is one contender to Miro for Best Gimmick and they have a real shot that had just completley slipped under the radar

"The Billion Dollar Man" Cameron Grimes

Not even the best gimmick in WWE this year (that's homeless Baron Corbin)

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

karmicknight posted:

Just going through recent history of the votes, here are the Top 10 Best Gimmick finishers that I would consider a firmly comedic gimmick

2020: Orange Cassidy (1st)
2019: Orange Cassidy (3rd), The Question Mark (8th)
2018: Elias (6th)
2017: Hiromu's stuffed cats (2nd), Rusev Day (7th), Broken Hardys (8th)
2016: Broken Matt Hardy (1st)
2015: The New Day (1st)
2014: Damien Mizdow (4th), Rockstar Spud (8th)
2013: Fandango (10th)
2012: Joseph Park (1st)

There's some gray areas like The Elite and Jericho/Owens who did lean heavy on schtick, but were ultimately portrayed as serious main-event acts. The Broken Matt stuff was always meant to be intentionally funny, and 2015 New Day was the peak of their heel trolling act, so I included those for posterity.

In general, there's actually pretty strong precedent for a more silly gimmick doing well in the voting if it gets over. Though I don't really consider Miro The Redeemer a comedy character (certainly not compared to Rusev Day, which was largely built around Aiden English's mugging), he should win this year regardless.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Rarity posted:

If you don't vote Miyu Yamashita's turnbuckle rebound kick for best move then do you even like wrestling?

I could see it going to Daniel Garcia's bridging scorpion

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
My picks for best gimmick after the Redeemer are

Matt Cardona as the Deathmatch King/Delusional WWE Superstar

And

Brandon Cutler as the Greatest Stooge.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Brandon Cutler should get the 'Brandon Cutler' Best Stooge Award

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Rookie of the Year is Bron Breakker

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
*tears up her entire voting slip*

I don't even loving know any more

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Lid posted:

Lets get the easy ones out of the way

Worst Gimmick is between Nikki ASH and Fiend Alexa

gently caress YOU JOE GACY gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

gently caress YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Joey Gacy is just concentrated Bruce Pritchard and Kevin Dunn isn't he?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

gently caress YOU JOE GACY gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU

gently caress YOU

How is African Warlord Apollo not even in the top 3? :psyduck:

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
gently caress it, I'll fill one out. WWE is going to be more absent from the "Worst" lists than it probably deserves because I didn't fuckin' watch it this year.

Category "A" Awards: You vote three times for these.

Lou Thesz/Ric Flair "Wrestler of the Year" Award:
1. Kenny Omega
2. Roman Reigns
3. Shingo Takagi

Most Outstanding Wrestler:
1. Shingo Takagi
2. Bryan Danielson
3. Rey Fenix

Tag Team of the Year:
1. The Young Bucks
2. Lucha Bros
3. Dangerous Tekkers

Best on Interviews:
1. Eddie Kingston
2. CM Punk
3. MJF

Promotion of the Year:
1. All Elite Wrestling
2. Game Changer Wrestling
3. Impact Wrestling

Best Weekly TV Show:
1. AEW Rampage
2. AEW Dynamite
3. Impact Wrestling on AXS

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:
1. Young Bucks vs. Lucha Bros, All Out
2. Bryan Danielson vs. Kenny Omega, Grand Slam
3. Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shingo Takagi, New Beginning

Category "B" Awards:
US/Canada MVP: Kenny Omega
Japan MVP: Shingo Takagi
Mexico MVP: Psycho Clown
Europe MVP: WALTER, I guess
Non-Heavyweight MVP: Rey Fenix
Women's Wrestling MVP: Deonna Purazzo
Best Box Office Draw: CM Punk
Feud of the Year: Hangman Page vs. Kenny Omega
Most Improved: Matt Cardona
Most Charismatic: Eddie Kingston
Bryan Danielson "Best Technical Wrestler" Award: Zach Sabre Jr.
Bruiser Brody Memorial "Best Brawler" Award: Tomohiro Ishii
Best Flying Wrestler: Rey Fenix
Most Overrated: Will Ospreay
Most Underrated: TBH I couldn't think of anyone whose placement on the card I felt was a terrible injustice, probably would if I watched more WWE - Emi Sakura, maybe?
Rookie of the Year: Dante Martin
Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis
Best Television Announcer: Excalibur
Worst Television Announcer: Matt Striker
Best Major Wrestling Show: AEW Full Gear
Worst Major Wrestling Show: Triplemania Regia II
Best Wrestling Maneuver: Double springboard moonsault (Dante Martin)
Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE's relationship with Saudi Arabia (this should be winning every year until it stops - distant second is every promoter that keeps employing people named in Speaking Out, followed by the Evander Holyfield "fight" they held in Florida)
Worst Television Show: WWE Raw (though among shows I actually watched, it's gotta be Heels, which was fun but dumb as hell)
Worst Match of the Year: Nia Jax vs. Charlotte (I'm tempted to give it to the 30-minute Toru Yano vs. Chase Owens match just on principle, or the Toru Yano vs. EVIL blindfold match because it was a loving blindfold match, but objectively this complete breakdown of the "professional" part of "professional wrestling" is the correct choice. Also I still like Toru Yano in spite of everything.)
Worst Feud of the Year: Toru Yano vs. EVIL (DM goes to Matt Hardy vs. Orange Cassidy - unlike Yano/EVIL nothing particularly bad or stupid happened in it, but it went on for way too drat long, nothing stood out as particularly entertaining in it, and both guys came out of it colder than they were before)
Worst Promotion of the Year: WWE
Best Booker: Tony Khan
Promoter of the Year: Tony Khan
Best Gimmick: Matt Cardona
Worst Gimmick: Joe Gacy (How does your "hipper, sexier" rebrand end up attracting an audience of retirees & pop lower demo ratings than Sunday night SVU reruns? This kinda poo poo).
Best Pro Wrestling Book: MOX
Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Streaming Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring, "The Plane Ride from Hell"

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 15, 2021

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
random thinkpiece but is worst gimmick just worst gimmick in a vaccuum or do we take into account how damaging it is? I ask because after the BoSJ finals i'm thinking maybe a dark horse could be House of Torture due to being something that is actively damaging a company by existing where interest is low and no interest in getting into it whereas the other nominees are just insulting, offensive or no buys.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The Fiend went from winning best gimmick one year to worst gimmick the next

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
I actually really liked both Dexter Lumis and Billion Dollar Man Cameron Grimes in NXT, but not enough to make me watch NXT every week. Matt Cordona, Deathmatch Legend had me buy some GCW shows I wouldn't have before though.

It's still too early in Bronn Breaker's career to consider him the Rookie of the Year (2022 he's a shoe-in) but Dante Martin blew up out of nowhere and put on some really great matches and some super memorable spots

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

Lid posted:

random thinkpiece but is worst gimmick just worst gimmick in a vaccuum or do we take into account how damaging it is? I ask because after the BoSJ finals i'm thinking maybe a dark horse could be House of Torture due to being something that is actively damaging a company by existing where interest is low and no interest in getting into it whereas the other nominees are just insulting, offensive or no buys.

I think damage to the promotion is something you've gotta take into account. Like, in a vaccuum the Fiend winning over Retribution last year was objectively wrong, but the Fiend was all over the drat product while Retribution were ultimately just a bunch of geeks who never got a PPV match. Similarly, I think this year Joe Gacy, while also terrible in a vaccuum, is also a central figurehead in the failure of the NXT 2.0 rebrand as a whole.

But the damage HoT has done makes them a strong contender. Also anything involving EVIL deserves consideration for any "Worst" category just on principle.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 15, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Tampa Bae posted:

It's still too early in Bronn Breaker's career to consider him the Rookie of the Year (2022 he's a shoe-in)

There's a big brick wall in front of him with HOOK painted all over it

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Every dumbshit thing Evil, Sho and Dick do makes Yuj look better by comparison

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Alexa Fiend, Nikki ASH and Joe Gacy didnt really hurt tyemselves from their potential.

HoT ruined SHO. Thats a crime.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Joe Gacy is toxic for NXT 2.0, he drives away the very demographic they're trying to chase

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I have a median of 62 reasons why Joe Gacy is the winner but who cares when the real question is:

Why are some (wrong) people not voting for Death Triangle vs Young Bucks for Feud of the Year?

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I voted for Nakajima Vs Kitamiya, because even when the booking was weird there was such intense hatred between the two whenever they were on opposite sides of the ring and it was awesome

But to answer your question, it's because I very rarely watch aew

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Tampa Bae posted:

It's still too early in Bronn Breaker's career to consider him the Rookie of the Year (2022 he's a shoe-in) but Dante Martin blew up out of nowhere and put on some really great matches and some super memorable spots

I don't think Dante is eligible because he worked AEW matches in 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lid posted:

I had EVIL as worst gimmick whenever this thread started. Seems fair extending that to the rest of his team.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

I don't think Dante is eligible because he worked AEW matches in 2020

The rule is generally signed to a major promotion September of the previous year or later. (Or if people just want to vote for someone who wouldn't meet that eligibility like some indie guys who have won it.)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Im not inclined to vote Dante because I voted for him last year as Top Flight and they placed like sixth because voters are stupid. He might win anyway but the real eligible ones are Jade Cargill, Anthony Ogogo and Bron Breakker.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lid posted:

Im not inclined to vote Dante because I voted for him last year as Top Flight and they placed like sixth because voters are stupid. He might win anyway but the real eligible ones are Jade Cargill, Anthony Ogogo and Bron Breakker.

HOOK :colbert:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It should be Rok-C who's a way better wrestler than anybody mentioned above, but nobody watched ROH in 2021 which is why ROH is dead now

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Rok-C is a way better wrestler than anybody mentioned above, but nobody watched ROH in 2021 which is why ROH is dead now

Like 500,000 people per week watched ROH but the median age of an ROH viewer is higher than the average American lifespan.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Benne posted:

It should be Rok-C who's a way better wrestler than anybody mentioned above, but nobody watched ROH in 2021 which is why ROH is dead now

True theres always likely some rookie in puro who is a world beater but its very a tree falls in the forest situation.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

See if you still feel that way after Yuki Arai Vs Miyu on Saturday

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

NutShellBill posted:

Feud of the Year:

Adam Page vs. Matt Hardy

Short, resolved, tied into other stories. Perfect.

this was excellent

the best part was 75% of this subforum completely missing hangman throwing matt's contract under the bar and producing his own

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

graph posted:

this was excellent

the best part was 75% of this subforum completely missing hangman throwing matt's contract under the bar and producing his own

The only bad part about The Good The Bad and The Elite video thingie, was them totally disregarding this feud. It was the start of Hangman getting his confidence back.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
be sure to vote today using your lessons learned in FIGHT ISLAND's wrestling awards of the year! they are in this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3989454

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Category A Awards

Wrestler of the Year:

1) Shingo Takagi
2) Syuri
3) Kenny Omega

Most Outstanding Wrestler:

1) Syuri
2) Konosuke Takeshita
3) Bryan Danielson

Tag Team of the Year:

1) Dangerous Tekkers
2) Las Fresa de Egoistas
3) Lucha Bros

Pro Wrestling Match of the Year:

1) Syuri vs. Utami Hayashishita, STARDOM Dream Queendom
2) ASUKA, Syuri, Natsupoi, and Mio Momono vs. Oedo Tai (Kagetsu & Hazuki) and Tokyo Cyber Squad (DEATH Yama-san & Konami), Hana Kimura Memorial Show MATA NE
3) WALTER vs. Ilja Dragunov, NXT TakeOver 36

Best on Interviews:
1)Eddie Kingston
2)Chris Brookes
3)Syuri

Promotion of the Year:
1) STARDOM
2) AEW
3) TJPW

Best Weekly TV Show:
1) ChocoPro
2) AEW Rampage
3) That's JPW!

Best Show of the Year:
1) Hana Kimura Memorial Show MATA NE
2) STARDOM Dream Queendom
3) AEW All Out

Worst Show of the Year:
1) WWE Crown Jewel
2) NJPW Castle Attack - Night 1
3) WWE SummerSlam

Best Wrestling Maneuver:
1) Azure Dragon (Syuri)
2) Flipping Stunner (Dante Martin)
3) Last of the Dragon (Shingo Takagi)

Category B Awards

US/Canada MVP: Kenny Omega

Japan MVP: Shingo Takagi

Mexico MVP: Psycho Clown

Europe MVP: WALTER

Non-Heavyweight MVP: El Desperado

Women's Wrestling MVP: Syuri

Best Box Office Draw: CM Punk

Feud of the Year: Syuri vs. Utami Hayashishita

Most Improved: Sonny Kiss

Most Charismatic: Syuri

Best Technical Wrestler: Zack Sabre Jr

Best Brawler: Tomohiro Ishii

Best Flying Wrestler: Saya Kamitani

Most Overrated: Will Ospreay

Most Underrated: Christian Cage

Rookie of the Year: Yuki Arai

Best Non-Wrestler: Don Callis

Best Television Announcer: Milano Collection AT

Worst Television Announcer: Corey Graves

Most Disgusting Promotional Tactic: WWE's partnership with Saudi Arabia

Worst Television Show: WWE RAW

Worst Match of the Year: Toru Yano vs. Chase Owens, NJPW Castle Attack - Night 1

Worst Feud of the Year: Kazuchika Okada vs. EVIL

Worst Promotion: WWE

Worst on Interviews: Will Ospreay

Best Booker: Kyoko Kimura

Promoter of the Year: Sanshiro Takagi

Best Gimmick: Miro the Redeemer

Worst Gimmick: House of Torture

Best on Social Media: Nyla Rose

Worst on Social Media: Tony Khan

Best Wrestling Book: MOX

Best Pro Wrestling DVD/Documentary: Dark Side of the Ring - Brian Pillman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just a heads up before you send your ballots to Dave, Box Office is no longer a voting category.