Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hippo

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

i read no country for old men because of the movie and i loved it so then i read the road and i loved it so then i read blood meridian or the evening redness in the west and i loved it too but it was a far more challenging read and would somebody please explain the ending to me

anyway post about cormac mccarthy or his books or how he has the perfect masculine name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Imrereading blood meridian so I'll let you know
What a good book
Def one of my favorite authors
The road movie was terrible

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
https://yelpingwithcormac.tumblr.com/
This owns

alnilam

lol that's good

ty manifisto

biosterous

i read the road without having seen the movie (although tbf i picked it up because my brother had enjoyed the movie). iirc i liked it but this was over a decade ago so idk! maybe i'll grab it next time i visit my folks and read it again

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Manifisto

:jerry: corman!

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

I read No County For Old Men years ago. The Road was crushingly bleak.

nut

since 2014, Cormac McCarthy has been a Trustee at the complex systems/cybernetics focused think tank, the Santa Fe Institute. He's the only Trustee with no scientific background at the time of his joining and, incredibly, essentially is working PR. I'm weirded out by all think tanks under capitalism and the SFI has some sus members (co-founded by, among others, a Colgate heir and some of the Manhattan Project/domestic nuclear arms testing researchers; Valerie Plame joined post-outing). But even if u don't wanna be fun and suspicious of nexuses of scientific power supported under the american imperial state, then it's at least its good and bizarre 2 see mccarthy writing and talking about them imo.

https://www.santafe.edu/people/profile/cormac-mccarthy

https://vimeo.com/384584129

https://sfi-edu.s3.amazonaws.com/sfi-edu/production/uploads/ckeditor/2018/04/24/cormac-sfi.pdf

Oprah interviewing McCarthy about SFI: https://www.oprah.com/oprahsbookclub/cormac-mccarthy-on-lunches-at-the-santa-fe-institute-video

Escape From Noise

Nothing good ever came out of Santa Fe (I'm including myself in this statement)

alnilam

I read the road and didn't even know there was a movie til recently. It was bleak af. I love no country the movie and might read the book some day but i think I'd rather read Blood Meridian, I've heard it's great

Happy Hippo

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

alnilam posted:

I read the road and didn't even know there was a movie til recently. It was bleak af. I love no country the movie and might read the book some day but i think I'd rather read Blood Meridian, I've heard it's great

no country reads as easily as the road but blood meridian is a whole other beast. i was reaching for a dictionary every other sentence

it does own though, and is worth the effort. just don't expect another easy breezy read like the road

take the moon

by sebmojo
nice thread op. youre the spiderman guy u cant fool me even with that hat

i love mccarthy thoooo

blood meridian and suttree were my two faves. all the pretty horses and the crossing were p good (didnt read the 3rd). i thought the road was the only one that wasnt so hot

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

take the moon

by sebmojo

Happy Hippo posted:

i read no country for old men because of the movie and i loved it so then i read the road and i loved it so then i read blood meridian or the evening redness in the west and i loved it too but it was a far more challenging read and would somebody please explain the ending to me

it turns out the judge is gay

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
The song "Old Black" by Earth always makes me think of the part where they join the militia and ride through the desert towards Mexico and it's fuckin miserable

alnilam

Earth's entire ouvre fits pretty well with what i know of ol' cornan mccarthy's vibe

ty manifisto

Escape From Noise

I saw Sunn O))) once live and I could see them working as well.

I also saw Earth once.

I love drone metal, but is it really a genre when it's basically just two bands? I know there are a few other drone bands, but all of them have a member of Sunn O))) in them?

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
That would be cool. I saw Boris play their "Flood" album live and it was heavenly.
But yes I think everyone else is basically Black Sabbath but really slow

Kinda like how stoner metal mostly is Black Sabbath b-sides

Escape From Noise

Oh yeah, I forgot Boris had a couple drone albums. They're good live. Haven't seen them for a while.

Escape From Noise

Sorry. I got really excited about weird metal. I keep thinking of watching The Road, but it looks like the consensus is that it's not very good.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
It was a nice detour.

Do not watch that movie if you enjoyed the book at all.

Sarah Cenia

Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
Oh hey I found out today that the Earth album "Hex" was inspired by blood meridian and all the song titles are found in the book

Rad

Happy Hippo

Achtane posted:

Oh hey I found out today that the Earth album "Hex" was inspired by blood meridian and all the song titles are found in the book

Rad

thats badass

i just looked at the titles and am sad theres no song called "Before man was, war waited for him"

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Bringing a lot of milkshakes to the conman macaroni thread because I heard a guy wants to drink em

take the moon

by sebmojo
i watched the cowman mankarthy screen-written ridley scottt movie the counselor. it was p good. i liked this one scene where the dude did a bit on how he ate dog food for weight loss

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

take the moon posted:

it turns out the judge is gay

he also cuts a rug

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
Bilirubin

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Blood Meridian is one of the best books I have read. Its evocative, majestic, and horribly, horribly violent (although that is the point). There are gnostic elements to it too, and it is well served by continued contemplation.

The Road was bleak and good but not of the same level. I have No Country on the "to read" shelf but have no yet done. I really want to read Suttree and The Pretty Horses

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you have the money and the patience, you can Hello Kitty anything

Thank you deep dish peat moss!
alnilam

thread title keeps making me think about Ruby Rodd saying "Corman? Corman my man?" and instead of Corban Dallas it's Corman McCarthy

alnilam

Come to think of it they're not that far apart :thunk:

https://youtu.be/OsJKdxPwZdk

Has anyone ever seen Corban Dallas and Corman McCarthy in the same room

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Corban McDallas

Post apocalyptic Twinkie mining multipass

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

Gorgor MaGurgur

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Escape From Noise

Mormon Nailer posted:

Corban McDallas

Post apocalyptic Twinkie mining multipass

Mül tea pass?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Crabman McCartney, Paul's little known twin who replaced him when he was killed in a car accident in 1963 :tinfoil: