Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Having read all of them it gets weird as poo poo towards the end. They end up going on a jaunt to the lower plains, blow up the god of those lower planes by slamming a moon(?) into Kelewan, destroying that, Nakor turns out to be Banath, and I think Thomas ends up stuck in some kind of other plane fighting Draken Korin for all eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Just binge read this LP, it's interesting to see how the game approaches the story considering I never beat it (or got very far in) as a kid.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Having read all of them it gets weird as poo poo towards the end. They end up going on a jaunt to the lower plains, blow up the god of those lower planes by slamming a moon(?) into Kelewan, destroying that, Nakor turns out to be Banath, and I think Thomas ends up stuck in some kind of other plane fighting Draken Korin for all eternity.

As weird as the series gets toward the end, at least it never ends up as bad as Rise of a Merchant Prince, a novel about the least likeable former-criminal-turned-soldier and his rise to becoming absurdly wealthy. That's the low point, though the whole Talwin Hawkins arc got pretty close.

Also, Nakor wasn't actually Banath, he just had a fragment of Banath inside him. So did Macros.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
He has a sad tendency even in the earlier novels to forget lovable characters. For example, Suli is such a well-done character in Prince of the Blood, then Nakor and Ghuda show up, Suli dies and we are expected to be sad when he's been ignored for a long time. Then, in Buccaneer, I was so happy to see Ghuda back, they ignore him for the whole book, and then his death is flat because he's been ignored. I don't know if there were too many characters and he got lost in the shuffle, or if the author was trying to bury him (literally and figuratively).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Roo being a dumb jerk who starts option trading is a low point in what is otherwise an excellent 4 book series.

The Super Sword fighting Chef was very bad, and worse. The one where the guy is dragging the body of a dead magic robot warrior was good though.

After that they all blend together and I stopped after two major characters are reborn and demons or whatever that book is.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I've always found that Feist's work is better when it's focused on more humanistic plots involving politics, war, scheming and character conflicts. When he goes full 'high fantasy', it loses something for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

JustJeff88 posted:

I've always found that Feist's work is better when it's focused on more humanistic plots involving politics, war, scheming and character conflicts. When he goes full 'high fantasy', it loses something for me.

I think part of it is that while Feist generally knows how to describe stuff like a battle or a city, he's actually really really bad at making magic sound exciting. Like for the most part it's either performed with such little fanfare that it's completely unimpressive or the description that Feist clearly thinks is very cool just fails to ignite my imagination at all.