Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
I have an Epson GT-X970 scanner, which is the Japanese version of the V750 that I bought new when I lived there 10 years ago. It's worth the hassle because it has a transparency scanning unit in the lid for doing negatives up to 8x10, and would cost $500+ to replace.

It got banged around in transit on its way over to me, however this afternoon I was finally able to get it physically working again.

The downside is that I have had no end of grief trying to get the software to work on my "new" Windows machine along the way - it was always a minor pain in the arse to get the Japanese scanner driver working on my old Macbook, but now I can't get either of the official Epson drivers (Japanese GT-X970 one or the global V750 version) to recognise that I have the scanner plugged in. There's a third party scanning programme called SilverFast that similarly pretends there's no scanner connected when I try to initialise it.

I was finally able to get a working driver through a third-party program called VueScan, which includes drivers for a bunch of legacy devices. When I check the scanner in Device Manager, the manufacturer shows up as Hamrick (VueScan's company) rather than Epson, so I'm sure this is the one that the system is now using. Anyways, the scanner now works in VueScan, but I'd have to pony up AU$130 for a full license.

Am I stuck with this? I don't really see how the driver could be locked to a piece of software, but that's what seems to be the case. I'd rather go back to using EpsonScan (the free one that came with it) as I'm most familiar with it and don't want to throw more money at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU