Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

"the pied piper of ham joints" always makes me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Computer viking posted:

Good, good. I'd consider those more of a dessert / museum café / sunday lunch deal than a normal breakfast, but they're never wrong.

Now I'm curious about the other ones.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
This is reminding me of a dish of bottarga and lardo I ate in Sardinia ten years ago, delicious but you definitely get the meat sweat effect from that much fat and salt.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Salo, or the 120 Grams of Sodium

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Devils Affricate posted:

lmao

also I'm curious about pickled lard honestly

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
TELL ME ALL YOUR THOUGHTS ON LARD
CAUSE I'D REALLY LIKE TO EAT IT
AND FRY SOME MOZZARELLA

TELL ME ALL YOUR THOUGHTS ON LARD
CAUSE I'M ON MY WAY TO EAT IT
SO TELL ME AM I VERY FAR
LET ME CHECK MY PHONE NOW

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Now I'm curious about the other ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svele . There are two problems with making them in the US: The sour milk and the rising agent.

I've seen recipes with several different styles of bacteria fermented milk - cultured milk, sour milk, and kefir. Kefir is by far the most tart of those, but it's also the one I think you're most likely to find in the US? It's apparently acceptable, so use Kefir.

The other issue is that traditionally you make them rise with equal amounts of baking soda (which presumably reacts with the acid in the sour milk) and salt of hartshorn (ammonium carbonate; baker's ammonia, E503). The latter decomposes into ammonia and CO2 when heated, and as long as you're not using it in anything too thick, the ammonia will evaporate away. A traditional svele should smell slightly of ammonia when fresh out of the pan, but adjusting the soda/salt of hartshorn ratio can get rid of that. However, I imagine it's a whole project to get hold of in the US, so you can probably skip it entirely and use baking soda alone. I'm sure that makes them a bit less fluffy, but it should be fine?

This recipe is a scaled down version from a ferry company recipe - but it's still a good 4.5 lbs or so of floppy waffle pancake things; you may want to halve it again. It's also from just around when Norwegian recipes shifted from volume to weight, and there's a lot of variation both from the conversion and personal taste. I see varying opinions on if margarine or butter works better in this. This is my attempt at averaging a bunch of different recipes:

4 eggs
2 dl sugar
75 g margarine or butter, molten
1 L kefir
1 L fine wheat flour
1 heaped teaspoon baking soda

Whip the sugar and eggs together until fluffy and light
Stir in the butter, then the kefir
Stir in the flour, some at the time. Sifting probably helps.
Finally, stir in the baking soda
Let rest for a few minutes, then fry in a pan or on a griddle.

e: I may as well try to americanize this. This is ... roughly right, but rounded differently to make for clean measurements:
4 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter, molten
4 cups of kefir
4 cups of flour
1 heaped teaspoon of baking soda

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 14, 2021