Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
List of mod nominations--if I missed any or you think of any others, please PM me to let me know!
  • Smythe
  • Epic High Five
  • comedyblissoption
  • Rasklinovo
  • AnimeisTrash
  • a Loving Dog
  • Marzzle
  • Peneer
  • dead gay comedy forums
  • Paul-soccer12
  • Tiler Kiwi
  • paranoid randroid
  • Ash Crimson
  • Slanderer
  • (Wildcard/"get weird with it" suggestion)
  • the_steve
  • Plinkey (self-nom lol)
  • Pick people from the hobby threads like games/cooking/fitness/UFOs
  • Alec Eiffel
  • Loquacious
  • gradenko_2000
  • Probably Magic
  • Lib and Let Die
  • Fizfashizzle
  • bruce hussein daddy

And my own personal nominations not in the above list:
  • Yinlock
  • Ylatlya
  • twoday
  • poo poo there were like 2 or 3 others but I've forgotten. shoulda wrote those down, well I'm sure I'll remember later. hopefully

This is a bit off from the beaten path, but IK nominations that were brought up:
  • comedyblissoption (glenn thread)
  • someone for doomsday economy but no nom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Hello everyone, sorry for the delay in posting this wrapup. Son of Thunderbeast was taking point on it but it happened to coincide with the tiny toes incident and got left by the wayside as a result. Honest thanks to some plague rats for reminding me that we never followed up on this.

Here are the major discussion themes that SOT identified from the feedback thread:

quote:

• Free larry
  • Better representation in mods & less opacity in mod selection process
  • Better ways of removing mods the community has rejected
  • Take time zones into account when expanding the mod roster
  • Take context into account when addressing language issues/euphemism treadmill concerns
  • Moderate for ableism, not specific words (related to previous point)
  • re-IK gradenko
  • A perception of insularity from/for certain megathreads (it appears various groups accuse at least one or two other megathreads of being insular and never posting anywhere else)
  • Unnecessary aggression/cruelty towards posters
  • can we get a joecopter to cheer up the cspam threads
  • Twitter embeds (gonna be honest I doubt this will change but we'll chat)

I will try to give a sense of how each of these things is being addressed at the moment and going forward. I know everybody here values transparency and I do too. The nature of the beast means not everything can be transparent but that doesn't mean we can't try to be better. If you have questions about this, feel free to PM me or another mod - if there are a lot of questions, I might reopen the thread for a bit, or if they're all on similar themes then I or another mod can post an answer publicly here.

Larry: I'm sorry to those who will be disappointed by this, but his forumban won't be lifted any time soon. Jeffrey explained why earlier in this thread, so if you want to see his rationale go here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3980066&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post517970434

Mod representation and transparency: Since this feedback thread, we have been going through the process to appoint new CSPAM mods, working primarily from the list of suggestions made in this thread. This has been a slow process for a few reasons. One is that other forum drama immediately took a lot of attention away and killed momentum. Two is that the first like three or four people we asked all said no, so we've had to go through a few rounds of internal talks and each one takes time. This also means we might end up appointing a mod or two whose name wasn't specifically raised in this thread, but we are trying to still do this based on the rationale behind the suggestions made itt.

Mod removal: this is an ongoing discussion and something that isn't going to change overnight, sorry. Ideally I think people should not treat being modded as a reward or being demodded as a punishment. That would both remove some of the unwarranted feeling that there's some kind of prestige in being an internet janitor and remove the stigma about a mod stepping down. At the moment, a mod leaving is up to them and/or the admins. On the general topic of choosing mods, I will also say that personally I don't like the idea of modding being a popularity contest because it's possible to be both a bad poster and a popular poster, just look at [insert your least favourite poster here].

Mod time zones: this is something we agree on and time zone diversity is a big plus for adding new mods.

Take context into account and moderate for ableism rather than word filtering: I think we agree with the general CSPAM consensus here. We're far more interested in going after bigotry than playing word police, but as I explained upthread, bigotry includes (but is not limited to) the use of slurs. You can read my thoughts in more detail here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3980066&pagenumber=28&perpage=40#post518008371

re-IK gradenko: for now we're not going to make gradenko an IK again, partly because we're in the middle of a new IK rotation and they probably would have rotated out anyway.

megathread insularity: this isn't really something we can do much about! I encourage everybody to :justpost: wherever they want to and to welcome new posters into big threads when they arrive. CSPAM is a big enough forum that nobody is going to know everybody and some insularity is bound to develop when the same posters are posting together in the same threads, but I hope we can all also be open to new faces

aggression and cruelty: this is also something that is primarily up to how the community chooses to post, but we are trying to be more proactive about going after unnecessary personal attacks, bigotry, or bloodlust without crossing the line into stifling discussion. we aren't going to get it right every time and you can preemptively call us idiots for the times we get it wrong

joecopter: astral has been stalling us on this but the end goal is to make it so that the longer you spend in the succzone the more your screen fills up with joecopters

twitter embeds: are here to stay

in summary: the main thing we are working on right now is to get more mods on board who will offer broader coverage across the forum and across world time zones, and we have started from the suggestions made itt - several names posted here have already turned us down. this has unfortunately been a slow process but we are still moving it along.

- we are also doing an IK rotation so there will be some current IKs going back to being regular posters and some current posters getting bumped up to IKs. in general we are trying to reduce reliance on forum-wide IKs as mini-mods and actually just have more moderators, so that IKs can go back to being for fun or for expertise in threads where there aren't many mods posting, we can have more mod viewpoints discussing things to stop it from being just a couple people making important decisions, and so that the giant list of mods and IKs at the top of the forum can get a little shorter

- we are trying to be more attentive to people posting bigotry, making GBS threads up threads, or being overly aggressive or cruel, without getting so interventionist that discussions are shaped by what mods want to read instead of what posters want to post

I hope that this provides some transparency about what's been happening over the last month. Again, feel free to PM questions or suggestions to me or any other current CSPAM mod