Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Aertuun posted:

If you give Starbase a year more of development (they're currently in early early access), that game ticks all those boxes. The only issue they have at the moment with your criteria is that there is excessive grind with their "research" system.

Lol and lmao

The lead dev of starbase has made several posts about how considers any pvp "griefing" and won't listen to any feedback around pvp because he won't "play into the griefer agenda"

Games actually dead for pvp if he stays on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
A modded Minecraft server ticks 100% of your boxes, OP.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Simon Numbers posted:

Lol and lmao

The lead dev of starbase has made several posts about how considers any pvp "griefing" and won't listen to any feedback around pvp because he won't "play into the griefer agenda"

Games actually dead for pvp if he stays on.

To be fair, not every game needs pvp, and games with PVP need anti griefing systems. Otherwise you just end up with some dude racing to end game then going back to the noob zone and kills everyone because he's having fun.

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013
When you advertise and sell your game as a pvp game it needs to have pvp.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The fundamental problem with PvP is that people think PvP is "fair" if they win 70+% of the time.

Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004

central dogma posted:

A modded Minecraft server ticks 100% of your boxes, OP.

are there any well known decently sized mcmmos?

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Dik Hz posted:

The fundamental problem with PvP is that people think PvP is "fair" if they win 70+% of the time.

Look at games with long term success using PvP. Some games avoiding the PVP or dodging the killer is a win for the non hostile person. Its also a rush. BUT most games dumb it down to making escape and evasion hard. You can have a 30% kill rate as a player killer and still have a good time (since the other guy 9 times out of 10 try's to run).

So you want systems where:

30% the attacker wins
60% the target gets away if they play right (Draw, target calls this a win)
10% the target kills the attacker.

Adjust those numbers a bit and you can build a healthy PVP based game.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
uh, hello? real pvp, not the GRIEFER AGENDA

can you even 1v1 at the sun in starbase? probably not

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking

gently caress Man posted:

are there any well known decently sized mcmmos?

I haven't played any Minecraft mmos since 2018, but probably! Used to hop on servers with 100 simultaneous players all the time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you want a pvp game why not just bite the bullet and play counter strike or any number of identical games and skip the RPG side?

It'll be "more fair" right?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

chess: the original GRIEFER AGENDA

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

chess: the original GRIEFER AGENDA

Nah I can't win 70+% of the time, it's clearly a terrible game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
What we really want is basically just regular minecraft only with cutting edge modern graphics. None of that blocky low res poo poo.

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Hey OP, like someone else posted, you are looking for Foxhole. The thread is in Games but is described as "A persistent world war simulator." The game is $30 for 'Early Access' and was previously $20 while in earlier development. The developer is avowedly against micro transactions and has stated that once you buy the game you're set, no in game shops and no subscription. Also is accessible for not current gen PCs while being a clean bright war game visually.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3893821

https://discord.gg/VcHhUgdE7G
Goons in Foxholes

https://discord.gg/x5SeWDxpvr
Foxhole the Game - Developer official discord

Under Community Resources is a discord server called Foxhole Onboarding. Great if you like to read info on a game. I can't get a link but I highly recommend.

Or YouTube tutorials by Freerk I think the guys name is? Great bite sized pieces in his videos, all meticulously time stamped.

Mindisgone posted:

:ughh:

Anyone else seen videos similar to the above, endlessly searching for something to :swoon: over but not happy with anything you try?

Me too and before I set more money on fire :retrogames: I thought I would take a moment to define what the :airquote: perfect :airquote: multiplayer game would look like to me and I came up with some interesting criteria:

Also even though this is an MMO post I am considering private server or non MMO games that fit this criteria

Multiplayer, at least 10 man teams minimum

Games such as Destiny2, Deep Galactic Mining, and Super Mecha Champions :dafuq: all feature 3 man teams. While playing games with my friends is exactly like herding cats :catte:, I have more than 3 friends :bravo: and a team limit less than 5 at minimum (10 preferably) is unacceptable. Understandably this limitation normally doesn't apply in MMO games but I mention it because certain game modes (and sometimes PVP modes) have a team or squad size limitation that can be annoying. Also I personally prefer larger scale PVP over smaller scale.

The game has a healthy worldwide population with activity in all time zones. Everyone is on one shard* with a war between the 'Colonials' aka collies and the Wardens (dunno what our nickname is). Vehicles typically need 2, including using man portable push field guns, artillery and tanks are usually 2 or 3 and it's common to have a 3 tank push (6 players in 3 tanks, etc)of some clan saving a counter attack.

You are locked to the faction you pick for the duration of the current war. Each war is numbered consecutively, we're on War 85 I think? Each war can last from 30+ days on before one side has captured enough of the Towns etc to hold a majority. Can switch freely between wars.

Regiments are the guilds and the Goon one is quite active. However you are most likely going to use the in game voice chat which is quite stable and useful but makes the Goon Foxhole discord look a little dead. Just get in game that's where it's happening. All the pub players are fairly helpful. Which is good because I use the local voice chat all the time when I drive like poo poo and run over friendlies.

*Shard 2 was around briefly to test new map layouts and potential changes but the population was always too low to support a real second server that was mostly empty so they've re merged for now

PVP

Speaking of PVP it is absolutely necessary for me. Eventually mass murdering NPC's gets boring and the ultimate battle of wits is against other players. I will again state that I happen to prefer larger scale PVP over smaller scale PVP. PVP specific modes can be cool but in an MMO setting I would prefer for everyone to be at risk of being ganked at any time.

this is all the game is built around is two 'modes', first is supplying the war or Logi; the second is fighting the war. Some people like just building and supplying and delivering. (Oddly satisfying even as a pvp player to deliver RPGs to a bunker base under tank attack and see it turn around). However it's common for people to be loading up vehicles in big hubs near the front and be asking for more people to come 'Partisan-ing' and raiding backline logistics and ganking unprepared folks.

Player driven economy

Games that have a well developed player run economy are preferable. EVE obviously comes to mind here. Being able to participate in a player run market is more exciting than just grinding NPC daily's for flurbos :nexus:.

There are only guns, ammo, bandages, trucks, artillery shells, binoculars, gas masks etc if players have built those things. This gives early in Wars a very infantry feel, lots of hasty trenches and WW1 charges. As each war goes, each side is tech-ing and getting new mortars or tanks etc.

Also when you use materials to make war materials, it is all finished in factories and it will be your personal stockpile, for 20 minutes. After the last build order finishes, a timer starts, I think it all reverts to public war effort stockpile. Hoarding is hard and Wardens especially seem very communal and it makes it so we have more gear than the other side often. Hence the goonumnism

Player housing

It's 2021 and player housing should be a thing. The more I can customize it and really make it mine the better. If I can explore the world I play in and find my own plot of land to build my housing on is even better.

There is a drawback to player housing however which is the accumulation of abandoned player structures (SWGemu comes to mind here) and any game that can handle this issue is better than one that cannot.

Bunker bases have 3 tiers, and 3 upgrade levels. But every structure connected to your base is consuming a small amount of supply and once there is no more supply the base will start to decay and will be destroyed after awhile.
Trenches are just that, equip a shovel and dig holes in the ground. Then you use basic materials to build upgrades (barbed wire, garrisons, AI pillboxes). Finally you can use sandbags and concrete to build up stronger fortifications. (Concrete building hp even takes 24hr cure time for the concrete before it's set!)

. This keeps it fresh and clans have their meeting area bases where they will stockpile materials or vehicles for pushes when people are online and then the front lines are more communal Fortresses where everyone is helping build or repair under fire.

Clan system

Clans I feel are pretty standard and are a must. Also having a clan should enable easier communication and ease of play with your clanmates.

Regiments are clans or guilds, you'll see signposts in game marking "[FMAT] public gas station, don't take this truck." Or whatever clan built the base you're at etc, there's a robust community around having goals a group can achieve together.

The voice chat being in game make it easy to set a push to talk key for local chat ( friendly and enemy in close proximity can hear!) With a second push to talk for your squad.

Classless characters

I prefer not to have to put my character into a box at character creation, thus creating a need to create multiple characters to experience all of the gameplay. Instead I like games that let you shape your character into whatever you want and have the ability to experience every skill and/or playstyle the game has to offer through a single character. Both FF14 and again EVE come to mind here where my character at least has the possibility of training into a different playstyle or switching my skillset to whatever I want without having to take a penalty.

"Hey bruh are you getting D2 remastered???" :doit:
say all of my friends

Why so I can play an ice sorc or hammerdin for the billionth time. :drat:

Inventory is simple but very effective at making you decide what you want to do. There is an item slot for an outfit. Equip Medic outfit, now bandages and blood plasma stack. Equip Padded Boiler suit for tanks, something bonuses your ammo reload speed or makes it so you don't die from tank fires or something I don't know. .
My favorite though was the blizzard in game a couple weeks ago. There is a parka item, and it will keep you alive longer in the cold. I figured this out by dying by freezing to death trying to outflank trenches on foot in a blizzard with basically light fatigues on. Supposedly, we were in far better supply of parkas and the colonials offensive pretty much stopped as there was snow across the whole front line.

You also have a weight amount you can carry, which is well balanced to where I can grab a rifle, ammo, gas mask, 2 grenades and a bandage and that's about all I could fit before character is over encumbered and moves slower. If I grab an anti tank rifle and ammo, it's larger ammo that doesn't stack so I can't grab all the extras. Carrying a medic kit let's you load it with blood plasma to pick up down guys. Bandages will stop you from bleeding out.

There's a huge variety of play styles contained in some simple looking but effective inventory system.

Some sort of crafting

People love to craft, myself included. Crafting should be integral to the game in that the best gear should come from player crafted items, not from grinding the same raid over and over again until unique gear X drops that literally every other player will be grinding for and eventually using. Again both SWGemu and EVE come to mind.

I've mentioned it already but the crafting in the game is the only avenue to get materials. I'm just learning the Logi side and there are a lot of different ways to do this. There's gathering materials thru salvage or mines. There's battlefield looting and bringing back good weapons to your bases so they don't rot or fall into enemy hands. There's production, using factories and mass production facilities to build crates of guns, containerized artillery pieces crates up trucks and motorcycles etc. Then there's the zen satisfaction of delivering to front lines. Figure out where the nearest supply stocked seaport and check the map for pins requesting specifics, like more Parkas, more Xyz artillery shell, need Anti Tank. Or shirts. Soldier shirts is the supply item that allows spawns at that base. So if too many people are dying and respawning there feeding the enemy then your base is going to run out of defenders real quick. Delivering a truck load of just bMats is huge when a base is getting hit by artillery and everything needs repairs.

There's also a period between wars called Resistance War where each side can stash small amounts of tech'd up weapons on the map for the next war while the devs get the next war map generated. The hexes controlled will change and the war will start after a brief interlude.
read this somewhere, no longer true.

Little to no grind

Not doing it sorry. I am not going to hours and hours playing a game, so I can START playing a game. I understand most games need a skill and/or progression system but I am not going to spend 5 hours killing 25 goats or whatever. :fuckoff:

Rank has no impact after I think rank 3, allows you to put map pins with a note on the global map. If some high rank Logi is asking you to do something, I would probably listen, but you could absolutely shoot them in the face of you are so inclined.

A Private can fire the same weapons anyone else can, and the way the game acts like military logistics means you simply go down to the nearest base, depot or seaport and draw whatever guns or vehicles are available. Maybe learn before wasting a tank but it's all fairly open from the moment you play.

Active player base

I do not want to play a game in a ghost town, that would be a single player game... Unfortunately this fact kills one of my favorite games, SWGemu (which luckily I can say I played pre CU back in the day and I will be chasing that gaming high down for the rest of my life).

It's been in development since 2017 I believe? Still listed as early access but is a full-fledged thriving game community. Right now there is a current and successful in-game player strike to unionize logistics players so that the developers make logistics less of a pain as far as tedium and making things arbitrarily hard.

Oddly enough (or maybe not so) EVE online :ccp: fits most of these descriptions the best from what my personal experience has been and I suppose that is what has kept me coming back again and again for years on end.

If anyone out there knows of any games that fit all of these criteria (or at least come close!) please post in here so I can check it out as I am looking for something new to play.

Also post what criteria would make up your perfect MMO/video game.

I really enjoy the game and based on your criteria you might too!

stackofflapjacks fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 4, 2021

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage

foxhole is honestly pretty fuckin cool and it's basically world war euro truck simulator for me

I've never fought an enemy player or even SEEN an enemy player but I know how to scroop, run a crane and a flatbed like whoa

I don't log in often but it is really chill when I do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
the biggest complaint ive seen about foxhole is a lot of battles tend to stalemate at bridges with everyone taking potshots at people they cant see but uhh welcome to WW2