Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
You can do either a best fry list or a worst fry list, or both. Your definition of what constitutes a fry may not line up with another person's. But please do not be surprised if someone calls you on your choice to put Panera's Zucchini Poppers #1 on your fry list.

Due to the extremely controversial nature of this subject, some bantering and flaming is allowed, although please remember we are all world-class athletes on our cheat day and the spirit of joyful competition fills our hearts and that we do not need to beat each other on the forum when we can do it on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Best Fries:
1. Rallys/Checkers - Will I drive two hours basically for fries? No. Will I drive an hour? Sometimes.
2. McDonalds - The "classic" fry to me. The only yellow fry to survive still tasting good after the loss of the original oils in transfatapocalypse.
3. Crisscut Fries - Carls' JR. crisscut fries are very good.
4. Wendys - The new Wendys fries bring it.
5. Freddys - The best shoestring style fries in the game.

Mid-Tier Fries
* Jack N' The Box
* Arby's crinkle
* Weinserschel
* Taco Bell
* KFC
* Del Taco

Worst Fry
5. Whataburger - I do not like their fries. They do come with spicy ketchup though and they are an adequate delivery system for that.
4. Burger King - They change their fries so much it's hard to keep up but the current thing of being halfway in the middle between normal fries and the big fries they had a few years ago is bad for all worlds.
3. Sonic - There really isn't anything at Sonic edible besides Conies and tots. There tots are good but tots are DEFINITELY NOT FRIES.
2. Jack N' The Box Curly Fries - These were good many years ago but now are just chunks of freezer burnt breading.
1. Regular Carls Jr. Fries - these suck.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Rick fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 27, 2021

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
i like costco fries the best i think. most fries are pretty good in poutine

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 47 hours!)

I hear that like asking for a round egg on your Sausage McMuffin, you can just request your fries "fresh" at the Arches, even that the POS just has a button to push and your order screen will say "made to order."

https://www.eatthis.com/news-mcdonalds-hack-fresh-fries/

I'm gonna try it.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Any seasoned fries typically rank above regular for me, but I don't get them as often as I should as often am looking for something cheap and fast at fast food and paying 4 bucks for a serving of fries when you can get a value meal for about the same price always puts a dampener on that idea for me. I love them and should just do it but making that split second decision in the drive through usually means it's something more like a treat.

With that said, I don't know if it's the location closest to me, but the Jack n the Box nearest to me used to have pretty good curly fries, but they seem to be at least mildly burnt about half of the time for years now, or at least a good portion of them are.

Arby's probably has my favorite seasoned fries of the chains, so I probably will never try their crinkle fries since I go there so rarely anyways. The same with why I have no strong opinion on Del Taco fries, one of the few reasons to go in that direction from my house is to go to Arby's or Del Taco, and you pass by a dozen other places on the way. It's not even that far driving, but it does mean I usually don't think about it unless I rarely happen to be right there and think about either of them while hungry. Speaking of Del Taco I usually substitute the chips and nacho cheese for fries because it feels more fitting, which is why I also have never tried the Taco Bell fries, are they good?

I know it isn't a thing most fast food places really have, but I can't stand steak fries. Just big mushy soggy garbage.

There's like one Rally's left around probably 20 miles away but I remember them being good a long time ago, specifically the seasoned curly fries.

I haven't tried the new Wendy's fries but the consensus seems to be positive on these forums.

Burger King's near me seem to be really consistent across the board and are mostly "okay I suppose".

I ate at 5 Guys like twice and I guess their gimmick is "way too many fries" and they seemed good but it's been a while.

Carls Jr. / Hardies fries I rarely get because their deals always seem to be by one get one on burgers or sandwiches, or promoting whatever new thing they have is. I remember liking their waffle fries though.

I appreciate In n Out doing the fresh cut thing, but, it doesn't really make them al that great in my experience. Probably the most middle of the road fry now that I think about it, not bad just unremarkable.

Sonic and Culver's don't count because then it's all about the tater tots and cheese curds, respectively.

I think I did a reverse aging thing for McDonalds fries, as I thought they were bad when I was a kid but as an adult I think they are pretty good, probably because I like them being a bit thinner and crispier. Typically I thought kids loved their fries and adults disliked them, but maybe that was just the adults I was around when I was a kid. Anyhow, they feel like the fries that all other fast food fries are judged by, which is odd as I would put them above average, which average is where you think the base line would be.

Okay that's a lot of words and I know I left a bunch of places out but again, that's a lot of words and more of a list of opinions then real ranking. Maybe I will put make a ranking list later, but honestly fries are almost never the prime motivation for going somewhere, just what you hope are as good as possible as a side, but I do love me some good fries!

e: I wrote so much because I told Rick to make the thread

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
The standard Sysco french fries, battered in some kind of unholy coagulation of starches, are better than any name-brand fast food fries. They did a science on a french fry , and it shows.

Like all other fries, they are garbage if not served and eaten fresh. In optimal fry conditions, they beat out all other competitors. Unless someone hosed up, they are always good.

Arby's curly fries are a close second. The quality is inconsistent. Sometimes you get perfect crispy spirals; sometimes you get soggy oily white whorls of uncooked potato flesh. The good ones are really good, but the bad ones drag down the experience.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

WITCHCRAFT posted:

The standard Sysco french fries, battered in some kind of unholy coagulation of starches, are better than any name-brand fast food fries. They did a science on a french fry , and it shows.

Are those the frozen sort of seasoned fries that are typically light and crispy with a dark red-ish batter that many bars and mom and pop places serve and are typically fairly consistent from place to place? Because if they are the ones I am thinking of, yeah they are better then you would expect, be it via science or magic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I didn't say anything about In N Out fries . . . I would have died in their defense in the 00s but I don't think anyone was hit by the transfat ban harder. Plus while they were able to keep the consistency of burgers + produce + shakes + lemonade up in their expansion but it feels like fry consistency and quality drops with each mile away you travel from the greater Los Angeles area. I still like them but I recognize it's nostalgia.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

I liked the Arby curly fries, especially with horseradish.

I used to defend the BK fries, but that was in the before times when I could get the zesty sauce with them. Plain they are just...meh.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

1.) Five Guys - especially if you get the old bay fries
2.) Wendys
3.) Popeyes
4.) Chic-fil-a fries if you get some of their BBQ to dip in
5.) Del Taco
6.) Burger King
7.) Burgerville
8.) Shake Shack
9.) Checkers
10.) KFC
11.) Mcdonalds - Not a fan! Way back in the day I was but now, not a fan at all!
12.) Whataburger
13.) Carls Jr
14.) Jack In The Box
15.) Culvers
16.) Sonic - Awful food, don't go here if you respect yourself
17.) In N Out - Disgusting fries, can be bumped to 12 if you get them animal style

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

1. Culvers - perfection while still hot, which is a surprisingly long time
2. Burger King - completely serviceable fry, consistent quality per order
3. McDonalds - six amazing fries per order, the rest go in the trash

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

McDonald's fries are solid but I like the crispy ones and my wife likes the soggy/greasy ones because she's disgusting so we usually both end up fairly happy.

Chick Fil A waffle fries are the perfect sauce delivery mechanism.

But the best fries are always the ones you get at your local/mom and pop burger joint, as long as they cut their own taters and season/fry them and don't just heat up frozen fries like some lovely doobie level operation.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

5 guys fries have such a large variance based on if they are crispy or not.

Usually they are soggy and suck. But on 5 guys I used to live by was the only I would get that came out kinda crispy and they were amazing.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I have never seen a crispy 5 guys fry

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arby's crinkle cut fries are extremely plain.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I respect plain fries.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

WEH posted:

1. Culvers - perfection while still hot, which is a surprisingly long time
2. Burger King - completely serviceable fry, consistent quality per order
3. McDonalds - six amazing fries per order, the rest go in the trash

You think culvers has good fries? Culvers are amazing but gently caress their fries man

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

It's been a while since I had Five Guys so I can't remember if they're good or not, but they do give you a shitload of fries. Respect for that

In n Out fries are the worst

Gregoire
Feb 3, 2014
KFC fries are excellently crispy.

Five Guys fries are top tier but must include the cajun seasoning.

New Wendy's fries are solid.

Chik-Fil-A fries are not always served hot enough.

Cook Out fries are lacking compared to a lot of their other offerings.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Good Fries

1. McDonalds -- the king

2. Smashburger -- more places need to put poo poo like rosemary and garlic on fries

3. Shake Shack -- only with cheese sauce. Won me over that crinkle cut fries could actually be good

OK Fries

1. Burger King

2. Every iteration of Wendy's Fries (haven't tried the newest)

3. Taco Bell fries (should probably be moved to Bad list just because they are obstructing actual Taco Bell Willy Wonka-esque creativity

Bad Fries

3. Carl's Jr/Hardees -- meh

2. Arby's curly fries.

1. In and Out -- literally don't understand the culinary science behind actually making fries. Just trash that would be better replaced with frozen fries off a Sysco truck

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Bad Fries

2. Arby's curly fries.

I will perform an murder on you'are famil

(you gotta dip 'em in the horsey saus)

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
My In N Out post was bait and just the right type of people took it that I was hoping for.

Ask yourselves, gentle reader, in a world where Jack N The Box is serving five year old frozen bread crumbs as curly fries, or Sonic is serving flavorless oil nuggets as fries, is something that is pretty much just a fresh potato with a bit of salt on it the worst representation of its genre in the universe? Of course not (especially when then going on to reference Five Guys or Shake Shack[!!!] which the people who opened those places admit how heavily "inspired" they were by In N Out). There is clearly something else going on with the type of people who would make such claims, if the fact they cheer for the Sixers and Celtics wasn't a dead giveaway on its own.

It's fine to dislike the In N Out fry or think it's too plain but in no way is it the worst fry on Earth and if you are thinking that you might want to assess how you are approaching your interests in life, in general.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It may be a disappointment reaction. My wife loved In N out in Tucson when she went to school there and hyped the hell out of it and when I finally went out to try it, it was bland and generally not very great. But also I’ll take a meh flavor over the no flavor at all which you’ll find with in n out fries.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You go to in n out for a double double and shake, not fries. Everyone knows this.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

ASAPRockySituation posted:

You think culvers has good fries? Culvers are amazing but gently caress their fries man

:flipoff:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

You go to in n out for a double double and shake, not fries. Everyone knows this.

but what about the animal style fries

I do not live where in n out lives, but I would very much like to order a food and request it "animal style" regardless of what the food is or what "animal style" means

it's just fun to say

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Culvers fries now the best since wendys hosed theirs up. They're consistently fresh, not over done, not under done. Crinkle-Cut = good.
McDonalds second best, especially if you get em nice n soggy. Which is super rare these days since they changed their grease.
Five Guys because most of them are soggy and you can drag them through ketchup easy
In N Out animal style, or well done. On their own they're kinda meh.
Arbys good if cooked right, usually too soggy, which is a good thing for any fry BUT curly fries.
Wendys meh
Burger King trash
Popeyes trash

RIP
KFC wedge fries
Wendys natural cut
Taco Bell buffalo chicken fries

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WITCHCRAFT posted:

but what about the animal style fries

I do not live where in n out lives, but I would very much like to order a food and request it "animal style" regardless of what the food is or what "animal style" means

it's just fun to say

Nah, just order another burg instead of fries if you're that hungry.

Or go 4X4 :getin:

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
McDonald's for pig out seshes, they're great but have a miniscule shelf life

Wendy's for a solid fry that's good alone OR with toppings

Five Guys for ketchup, something about em just works

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Nathan’s
Krystal
McDonald’s
Checkers
Chick-fil-a
Arby’s (but give me back my loving potato cakes)
Culver’s
Steak-n-shake
Taco Bell
KFC
Wendy’s (need to try new fries)
Burger King
Hardees