Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This thread only reminds me of how criminally rare it is to find splitscreen coop in today's major AAA games, especially for the PC platform. Off the top of my head, only some of the modern CODs and Gears 5 offers it when you're looking at the big mainstream offerings. Not even the upcoming Halo Infinite will have it. It's absolutely criminal.

Despite Blizzard's horrendous background I am looking forward to Diablo 4 just for the same screen coop.

Gauntlet: Slayer Edition is a recent one which does this, and I found it fun as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Flatout 2 MP Fun mode - it's hotseat and competitive, but very entertainting
Worms (Reloaded prob. the best) - Hotseat but newer are supporting 2 controllers. Can be both competitive and coop.
Ultimate Chicken Horse - competitive but in a very fun way

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I recently got Huntdown on Steam and it's a very fun coop game - even though it does take a bit of reflexes to play.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Overcooked 1+2 (but not AYCE), Tools Up, and Moving Out are on sale in the PS black Friday deal. I don't think the extra content in AYCE is worth waiting on the price, if you want to just jump in now.

Anyone tried shakes on a plane? Steam reviews are mixed, but some of the bad ones are "not made for 1 player" which is useless for me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Been playing River City Girls for the past couple of days, and it's pretty good.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I’ll shout out Outward as being an unlikely candidate for a couch co-op game, even on console. It’s a third person survival action RPG with crafting, immersive sim elements like having to dress for travel, a open world to explore, and Dark Souls-y combat where you need to put your backpack down before you fight. There aren’t many games that do these things while also being split screen co-op; I’m honestly pretty sure it’s just this one.

It runs not great but acceptable in split screen on PS4 and has some janky bits, like if you play on one player’s file the other player’s game timer keeps running for the quests they left in their own world. To keep your sanity, just assume you will always play on the same player’s file.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
My gf and I just played through It Takes Two, a couch coop game by the same devs that made A Way Out. We quite liked it. I was worried about it taking too long, and some segments kind of do feel like that, but the game varies things up quite a lot to keep any mechanic from feeling stale. Just as it feels something like that is about to occur, chances are good your abilities will be changed up as you reach a new area.

Anyway, I'd recommend it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

My wife and I have played a lot of Nintendo IP coop games on switch over the last few months; now we're looking for more.

Really enjoyed together:
- New Super Mario Bros
- Super Mario Brothers 3D
- Mario Odyssee

Didnt like as much, but fine:
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Goose Game

Looking for something that kinda hits these points:
- 2 Player coop; Prefer same screen experience over split screen where possible
- Story oriented, but not necessarily centric (e.g. not into dynamic levels and roguelikes)
- Levels (or at least save anytime) -> we're adults and sometimes only have a small bit of time before lift or sleep becomes a priority again
- Simpler controls; nothing too twitch-y
- Prefer an aesthetic thats clean and visually pleasing over OMG 4k ULTRA MAX GRAPHIX

Available:
- PS4 Pro, Switch, PC

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

STREETS OF RAGE!!!

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Walked posted:

My wife and I have played a lot of Nintendo IP coop games on switch over the last few months; now we're looking for more.

Really enjoyed together:
- New Super Mario Bros
- Super Mario Brothers 3D
- Mario Odyssee

Didnt like as much, but fine:
- Luigi's Mansion 3
- Goose Game

Looking for something that kinda hits these points:
- 2 Player coop; Prefer same screen experience over split screen where possible
- Story oriented, but not necessarily centric (e.g. not into dynamic levels and roguelikes)
- Levels (or at least save anytime) -> we're adults and sometimes only have a small bit of time before lift or sleep becomes a priority again
- Simpler controls; nothing too twitch-y
- Prefer an aesthetic thats clean and visually pleasing over OMG 4k ULTRA MAX GRAPHIX

Available:
- PS4 Pro, Switch, PC
Try out Pitfall Planet! https://store.steampowered.com/app/464900/Pitfall_Planet/ It's on massive sale right now and also on Switch!
It's a wonderful chill puzzler where you can grab and carry your buddy and throw them around to solve simpler puzzles. It has very low key simple story, but it hits all the other points you have. :)
I had such a nice time playing through it two times with different friends :3:

The video where I first learned about this game :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otLDSxkEvWw
It's so pleasant.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Rocket League is free, and has 2 player team play available on and offline. Minecraft, Animal Crossing, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (can be difficult!), Snipperclips, Monaco (not easy)

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 6, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

beer gas canister posted:

Rocket League is free, and has 2 player team play available on and offline. Minecraft, Animal Crossing, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime (can be difficult!), Snipperclips, Monaco (not easy)

Hell yeah, Monaco.

Portal and specifically Portal 2 are headed to Switch. I assume split screen co-op will be a part of 2.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

shout out for Heavenly Bodies, really great fun together in couch coop. Worth it especially if you already played and enjoyed Humans Fall Flat.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256758822/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1637310207

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum
Have been playing Dysmantle with my wife on PS5 coop. It’s pretty shallow, but fun to destroy things. She likes to collect stuff and there are many things around the map to collect…

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Bone's Cafe is amazing. Best coop couch cooking game by a landslide. The only downside is there's not enough of it.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
Gotta pop in to reccomend Guardian Heroes, on Xboxes. Turns out the 360 storefront still works, and it plays fabulously well. If you've still got an old console laying around, or a newer gen Xbox, it is backwards compatible! GH is the best beat em up I've played besides Streets of Rage 4, though it's quite different. I hope somebody makes a spiritual sequel or at least more modern port!

Protip: if you have a first gen style 360, it can connect to the internet without an adapter, by wiring the ethernet directly into a laptop or desktop. I was able to do it yesterday with a 2013 MacBook Pro

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Bone's Cafe is amazing. Best coop couch cooking game by a landslide. The only downside is there's not enough of it.

Something I'm concerned with with Bones Cafe is getting lost as the complexity increases. How legible is it for someone who isn't that great with that as it goes on?

Have you played Diner Bros? I expected it to be Just Another Overcooked, but we loved it. Also, the luchadores are the greatest customer in the entire genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The automation isn’t hard to setup at all. As far as legibility… yeah I could see there being some issues in a end game kitchen, but at that point you probably have minions doing all the work so it’s not too bad. My girlfriend and I definitely had some issues getting stuck slash our characters confused.

Thanks for the rec, I’ll check it out.