Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Has DND ever tried to forecast global events a la Tetlock's superforecasting book?

Seems like there are plenty of people here who get passionate about their views. Wonder if we can use that sort of thing for good by aggregating it and seeing if we can get a wisdom of the crowds effect going.

What kinds of predictions would you be interested in knowing the odds of?

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Oct 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

oliveoil posted:

Has DND ever tried to forecast global events a la Tetlock's superforecasting book?

Seems like there are plenty of people here who get passionate about their views. Wonder if we can use that sort of thing for good by aggregating it and seeing if we can get a wisdom of the crowds effect going.

What kinds of predictions would you be interested in knowing the odds of?

Could you elaborate on exactly what that is and why it'd be a better methodology than the Immortal Science?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

just let me take your money on predictit instead

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Epic High Five posted:

Could you elaborate on exactly what that is and why it'd be a better methodology than the Immortal Science?

Comprehending class gives you a huge edge, actually.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
so many people toxxed for Bernie Sanders that the mods banned election toxxes altogether because it was too much work to ban so many people

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I don’t thing any goon has ever predicted anything correctly ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There was the modern Nostradamus who watched Bush start a loving war

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Whatever, Bush started three wars.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's a bit overstated, but in general, yeah, the records of the people here who go around making predictions most prominently are not very good. Worse, some of them will twist their own words afterward to argue that the events that proved them wrong actually proved them right, so they avoid having to reevaluate the assumptions behind their predictions.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Silver2195 posted:

That's a bit overstated, but in general, yeah, the records of the people here who go around making predictions most prominently are not very good. Worse, some of them will twist their own words afterward to argue that the events that proved them wrong actually proved them right, so they avoid having to reevaluate the assumptions behind their predictions.

We could do something unambiguous. E.g., everyone give a probability that the US gets into a hot war with China or Russia within the next two years.

Or infrastructure deal that is currently going on:l. We could all assign probabilities to these outcomes:
1. No infrastructure bill
2. Infrastructure bill worth less than $1T
3. Infrastructure bill $1-2T
4. Etc

If someone says there's a 100% probability that the infrastructure bill will pass with $3T in spending then they can't turn around and claim to be right when it passes with $4T in spending.

Plus I think if this less as competition and more collaborative. Rather than trying to convince each other to change our minds, I'd like to see what average and median probabilities D&D comes up with. Is D&D smarter as a group than anyone individually?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you're confusing the infrastructure and reconciliation bills, but also here's the market you want

https://kalshi.com/markets/RECSZ-001

there's no better way to prove you're right than taking someone else's money

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oliveoil posted:

Is D&D smarter as a group than anyone individually?

there is extensive evidence that the answer is "no"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

there is extensive evidence that the answer is "no"

iraq invasion dot tee ex tee

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i say swears online posted:

you're confusing the infrastructure and reconciliation bills, but also here's the market you want

https://kalshi.com/markets/RECSZ-001

there's no better way to prove you're right than taking someone else's money

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7291/How-much-spending-in-the-reconciliation-package

this a clearer market (on a better site) that has good brackets

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i say swears online posted:

iraq invasion dot tee ex tee

that was GBS, they're the true prophets here

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I predict that everything will continue to get worse overall

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I predicted global just in time supply chains were unstable particularly relating to containership liners.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I predicted global just in time supply chains were unstable particularly relating to containership liners.

grats

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Goons pretty consistently back the wrong horse.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I see liberals' obsession with "data science" and I'm reminded of the apocryphal story of the barbarians storming the imperial palace in Rome, to see with shock that instead of preparing a defense, the courtiers were playing tarot cards and telling each others' fortunes.

Dems are hosed and they know it lol

https://twitter.com/ezraklein/status/1446479433825611785

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
David Shor is a racism dial guy who's convinced that the reason Dems are losing is because poor people and minorities hate things like labor rights, abortion, defunding the police, and letting immigrant enter the US. His prescription for Democratic success is that the Dems should stop letting wealthy billionaires drag them left, and instead embrace a new moderate right-populism based around welfare for white people, big tax cuts, and patriotic support of law enforcement and the military. In his eyes, issues like climate change, unions, and LGBT rights have no place in Democratic platforms, which should never even mention those issues until the Dems have attained a solid supermajority.

People have been debating various interpretations of that in USNews, and obviously my own interpretation of his stance is fairly uncharitable, but the thing that strikes me the most when I read anything he says is how much it reminds me of New Democrat ideology. The whole concept of "social issues are unpopular, so we have to pretend not to support them, and then try to sneak them in as part of other bills after we win" is straight out of the 90s Dem excuse notebook.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

David Shor is a racism dial guy who's convinced that the reason Dems are losing is because poor people and minorities hate things like labor rights, abortion, defunding the police, and letting immigrant enter the US. His prescription for Democratic success is that the Dems should stop letting wealthy billionaires drag them left, and instead embrace a new moderate right-populism based around welfare for white people, big tax cuts, and patriotic support of law enforcement and the military. In his eyes, issues like climate change, unions, and LGBT rights have no place in Democratic platforms, which should never even mention those issues until the Dems have attained a solid supermajority.

People have been debating various interpretations of that in USNews, and obviously my own interpretation of his stance is fairly uncharitable, but the thing that strikes me the most when I read anything he says is how much it reminds me of New Democrat ideology. The whole concept of "social issues are unpopular, so we have to pretend not to support them, and then try to sneak them in as part of other bills after we win" is straight out of the 90s Dem excuse notebook.

Haha wow, Ezra left out quite a bit here lol. The thing I realize from reading about both Shor and his opponents in the article above is that they're all at least partially right in their diagnosis - the Democratic tent is so big that some of these things are probably true for a lot of their voters. But like you said, Shor's prescription is warmed-over DLC material. But everyone else has it wrong, too. You want to increase turnout based on excitement about key issues? How's that working out when your own caucus vetoes all of that stuff? Then there's the people openly admitting that all they can do is to get people to come out against Trump, basically admitting that they're entirely out of ideas. And they're probably right about that, the internal contradictions of the Democratic party are really coming to light, and it's interesting to see this realization dawn on liberals like Ezra Klein.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

RBA Starblade posted:

yeah and 20 years later that's still the last time a goon was right about anything

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
It's weird the start a war thing has been reframed as a unique prediction. 9/11 was the largest attack on US soil basically ever and it was the first major world even that got to be nearly livestreamed to everyone's home in near real time, like 75% of the US population was probably calling for military action that day the second it seemed like it even might be a potentially some sort of attack.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's weird the start a war thing has been reframed as a unique prediction. 9/11 was the largest attack on US soil basically ever and it was the first major world even that got to be nearly livestreamed to everyone's home in near real time, like 75% of the US population was probably calling for military action that day the second it seemed like it even might be a potentially some sort of attack.

did you make one of those iraq predictions

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I was predicting Ghislaine Maxwell would still be alive, lo and behold she is

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

“Superforcasting” is just having people who get really good at fermi problems aggregate their guesses about stuff.

It’s really not that hard is just that everyone whose job is nominally to make predictions and tell the public is actually hired to be sensational or tell people what they want to hear.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

“Superforcasting” is just having people who get really good at fermi problems aggregate their guesses about stuff.

It’s really not that hard is just that everyone whose job is nominally to make predictions and tell the public is actually hired to be sensational or tell people what they want to hear.

That's why I think we can do it better. Since none of us are trying to please members of the public and we're all anonymous so there's no ego.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

oliveoil posted:

That's why I think we can do it better. Since none of us are trying to please members of the public and we're all anonymous so there's no ego.

Found the logical flaw in your plan, sorry!

Pseudonymity is not anonymity.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

you're goddamn right i spike that football when i predict a spicy one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I guess if this the thread for throwing out spicy guesses about politics mine is that Latinos will as a bloc increasingly vote like whites. In that the differences in vote share between groups of them and similar groups of white people along lines such as rural/urban, college/no college, income level, etc. will overall diminish over the next couple of cycles.