Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
At least now we know that Sent told the truth: They really do love Ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Well, that sure happened. :stonk:

By the way, this time the message says,

quote:

piktmkti tumda qtjlznex lwk

Assuming I haven't made any transcription errors, which is very possible.

Anyone care to take a stab at it?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I feel bad for Sent, not just for all the earlier stuff but also for their cool character moment here getting massively upstaged

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Sent: justifies their existence, their character, their behavior, and makes them sympathetic all in the span of a single question

Ink: space wedgies a sociopath with his mind

Also:

Rith posted:

Why are you helping me?

Because you expect me to.
Still love this line.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

dervival posted:

Well, he's certainly bisect-ual at least :v:

good grief

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

lol :vd:

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Huh, so Ink was able to give Sean a new gig, one that has a lot of clout to it, at least:

The vertical line of the Super Smash Bros logo in reveal trailers.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Appendix 7: Living

And now we’re into the final chapter, and the final instalment of this Let’s Play! Again, I’ll skip past scenes that are the same as the version we’ve already seen.

(Music: Biorhythm)

Sure doesn’t feel like it, though. You can feel the cold seeping in from outside.

I know it’s not the same room as before, but it still stirs up bad memories. Especially considering you-know-who is mere feet away...

Upon reflection, I probably should have asked to wait elsewhere. Oh well. Might as well just stick it out at this point.

They said I was free to leave, and though I’m kind of dying to get out of here, I’d never forgive myself if I passed up this opportunity.

This might be my only chance to meet with him.

So now I’m stuck waiting for—

Pretty much. Not sure how long it’s supposed to take.

It’s good to see you, Liza. I was told you’d gone home.

Oh, it’d have been fine. Danger’s passed.

I, um... I do appreciate it, though.

How’s the arm? What did he say?

It’s not dead. And apparently there’s nothing wrong with it on paper. But I can’t move it.

Can you feel anything, at least?

It’s faint, but... yeah. A little.

That alone has him optimistic, but again, whatever condition I have is a product of CORNERS. No one knows anything about it.

That sucks, Rae. I’m sorry.

Yeah. I’m really sorry to hear that.

Anyway, you’re up, Ink.

Finally. Where’s his office, again?

Down the hall, then up the stairs on the far end. His office is on the ground floor.

Thanks. Wish me luck!

Talking with Nolan:

Getting away with a crime only emboldens you to commit more. You grow numb to it after a time.

That... That was self defense. You know that.

I believe you wanted him dead. Or hurt, at the very least, after he’d gone to such lengths to hurt you.

Am I wrong?

I... um...

So, what, are you going to report me to the police or something?

You’ve no need to worry. It would be impossible to prove what you’d done. Only you, me, and our sponsor will ever know what really happened.

Make no mistake: no matter how you try to justify what you’ve done, the truth will gnaw at you over time.

If that’s the price I have to pay, then so be it.

What about Sean’s family, though? His friends? Don’t they deserve to know that he’s gone?

However, I don’t believe Sean was particularly close with very many people. We’ll see if anyone even comes to ask about him.

Hmph. For all his posturing, he was just like the rest of us.

So it would seem.

And what of Tiana? What’s going to happen to her?

I don’t see any reason to punish her any more than I do you. Among the three of us, she was the most critical of Sean’s plan.

Oh. Really?

She agreed to go along with it eventually, but I could tell it never sat right with her.

Later in the conversation:

So, um...

(Music: Far and Away, 0.75 speed)

I’m a little afraid to ask, but what happened to Aether?

Her source code is still intact, but that instance of her has been erased from the system’s memory. What’s more, CORNERS is now owned by our sponsor.

However, she seemed to have undergone some radical changes near the end of the game. I’m not quite sure what happened, and I can’t say with certainty what would happen if someone tried to reboot her.

So, ultimately, I don’t know what will become of her. The end of Exit/Corners had the system spiralling out of control to a degree I couldn’t fully understand.

Yeah, things were getting pretty off the wall at the end there. Hell, even I was messing around with the environment.

Indeed. Tearing into the very fabric of the simulation itself... I didn’t know it was possible to lucidly control CORNERS to such a degree.

So... I’m going to stop you right there.

I don’t know what it is you’re about to say, and I’m sure your intentions are... not malicious, at least. But before you speak, I’d like you to ask yourself if what you’re about to say has a chance of coming off as ignorant.

It...

It’s fine. In any case, I don’t think I’ll be stepping into CORNERS ever again, so it’s not like I really need to know every single thing about it.

Oh? Why’s that?

I no longer have access to CORNERS. I handed over the most important bits to our sponsor just recently.

The rest, including the documentation and physical equipment to go along with it, are to be delivered within the next few weeks. I’ll be very busy.

After the Nolan conversation:

I head back to the room with the pods.

(Music: Peace of Mind)

Hey. Sorry for the wait.

What about? If you don’t mind me asking, that is.

Right. Tough question...

Have you given it any thought, Ink?

A little. Not sure if I mentioned it already, but as for me, I’ll be continuing my studies at BBU, albeit in a different program.

And, um... I’m going to try to reconnect with my parents.

You know, after what I’ve seen today, I realize that maybe they aren’t so bad.

I’m not going to be moving in with them or anything, but I owe it to myself to try and reach out. Might be tough at first, but I think our relationship is salvageable.

Aside from that, I think I’m just going to take things one day at a time.

What about you guys? What will you be doing?

Either way, I think I’m gonna follow your example and take things easy. I feel like I need some brain bleach or somethin’.

I have a lot of options. Too many, probably. It’s overwhelming.

You’re still young, Liza. No need to figure everything out at once, especially now that your father won’t be breathing down your neck.

Yeah. And remember: we beat Exit/Corners. I think that means we can handle anything.

So... are you folks hungry or what?

I’m down with whatever so long as it means leaving this place.

Sweet. Let’s grab some nachos or something.

The music stops.

I lead the pair upstairs and down the hallway.

(Music: Wit’s End)

I’m glad we caught the sun before it vanished over the horizon. The outside air is refreshing, too, if a little cold.

Say... we’re all going to be keeping in touch, right?

Nolan gave me some extra data to look over and I’d be happy to pass along any—

You’re good kids. I wanna make sure y’all end up better adults than me.

Hah. I suppose you’re right.

Besides, we’ll need each other. Nobody else could understand what we’ve been through.

Yeah. No one would believe us about Exit/Corners. Or even just CORNERS.

And even if they did, they’d never know what it was like to be in there. How it feels to stand on nothingness. Or what Aether was—

I don’t really want to talk about Aether right now.

Of course it bothers me. But what can I do but move forward?

Same thing goes for the two of you. We could spend the rest of our years moping or thinking about what might have been...

We’ve all lost something. Maybe we’ll get back what we’ve lost. Maybe we won’t.

But no matter what, we’ve got to keep living.

We can’t let other people’s poor decisions ruin our lives. That’d be admitting defeat — and I refuse to let them win.

So would I. Campus pub?

I’d like to remind you two that I’m not old enough to drink yet.

That’s okay; you can have some chocolate milk or something. Would that be more age appropriate?

The screen fades to white.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!
Resources

And that’s Exit/Corners! Thank you for coming along on this journey, whether you’ve been commenting or just reading quietly.

In case anyone’s wondering where to go from here, I thought I’d put together a quick list of resources: Exit/Corners fan communities, similar games and so on.

What else has this developer done?

Since creating Exit/Corners, Max ‘Percon’ Manco has set up a small indie studio, Moon Moth Games. You can keep up with what they’re doing on Twitter: @moonmothgames

Moon Moth Games is currently working on Séance: Spectral Noise, an upcoming game about spirit mediums trying to solve a mystery in a small town. Like Exit/Corners, it’s a visual novel with occasional gameplay elements. You can find Séance’s itch.io page here, along with a demo of the first chapter. It’s expected to release next year.

Is there an Exit/Corners fandom? Where can I talk about this game or find/share fanworks?

The Exit/Corners fandom isn’t exactly thriving, but there are a few places you might find fans or fanworks:

Reddit: There’s an official Moon Moth Games subreddit at r/exitcorners. After the game ended, the developer held a question-and-answer session on Reddit, which you can find here. (He mentions plans to answer questions in-universe in an episode 30, but in the end he decided it would be too much of an infodump, so episode 30 never came to pass.)

Discord: There’s an official Moon Moth Games Discord; here’s the invitation link.

AO3: You’ll find a small smattering of fanfiction in the Exit/Corners tag on the Archive of Our Own. You’ll need an account if you want to post your own fanworks here, but you don’t need one if you just want to read, kudos and/or comment.

You can also talk about Exit/Corners in this thread, of course, although it’s unlikely to remain active long past this Let’s Play!

What are some games that are similar to Exit/Corners?

If you’re a fan of plot-heavy games in which characters are abducted and thrown into a high-stakes situation with a bunch of strangers, good news: it’s a surprisingly populous genre! Here are a few others; they generally consist of visual-novel-style storytelling interspersed with puzzles or minigames.

I suspect you’ve all played Zero Escape already, given that I referenced it in the thread title in the hope of drawing in readers! But, on the off-chance someone stumbled here without knowing the Zero Escape series, you’ll probably like it if you liked Exit/Corners. As with Exit/Corners, a group of people are abducted and struggle to survive, escape and understand why this is happening to them. The first game in the series is 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, followed by Virtue’s Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma.

Danganronpa is a series of murder mystery games in which, unusually, you get to know all the potential victims and killers before the murders actually take place. A group of teenagers are imprisoned together and told they can only escape if they murder a fellow captive and get away with it. The games in the series are Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair and Danganronpa V3: Killing Harmony; on Vita and PS4, you can find the first two games packaged together under the name Danganronpa 1.2 Reload. (There’s also a third-person shooter spinoff called Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls, but it’s very different and generally agreed to be skippable.)

Your Turn to Die, which is currently being released in instalments, is another plot-twisty visual novel in which a group of characters are thrown into a life-threatening game and struggle to survive. Like Exit/Corners, it’s free. It was created by Nankidai and translated into English from the original Japanese by vgperson; you can find the English version over here.

(As Carbon dioxide points out, you can also find 'death game' stories in other media, such as the 2000 film Battle Royale, the Hunger Games trilogy of novels by Suzanne Collins (and their film adaptations), and the 2021 Netflix series Squid Game.)

Some games that don’t quite fit this genre, but that fans of Exit/Corners may find interesting regardless, because they’re similarly packed with mysteries and plot twists:

- The Ace Attorney series: a series of visual novels with gameplay elements. You’re a lawyer! Solve mysteries!
- Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective: a one-off narrative puzzle game from the creator of Ace Attorney. You’re a ghost! Solve mysteries!
- Higurashi: When They Cry: a series of horror visual novels. You’re a teenager! Solve mysteries! N-no, wait, maybe you should stop trying to solve mysteries. The first instalment, Onikakushi, is free on Steam.
- Umineko: When They Cry: a series of mystery visual novels. I don’t really know how to describe this one. Learn magic?
- 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim: a one-off game about teenage mech pilots; the gameplay largely consists of walking around and talking to people with occasional real-time strategy sections. You’re thirteen teenagers! Solve mysteries! Every mystery you solve generates about five new mysteries.

(The When They Cry series can be a little difficult to get into, largely because of pacing issues, but they're absolutely fascinating if you manage to get past those.)

Finally, thank you so much to Fedule and girl dick energy for your help with this Let's Play, and thanks to Percon for creating the game in the first place!

Rith fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 28, 2022

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Now that is a good ending

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Nah, gently caress that noise - Sean had murderous intent and had been warned. A non-lethal approach wasn't guaranteed to stop him either. I get that the writers were wanting to talk about how revenge is bad but this is a bad take.

Thanks for the LP, Rith. I don't think I would've stumbled across this game on my own, and I've enjoyed the story.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

dervival posted:

A non-lethal approach wasn't guaranteed to stop him either.

I think that line's a little meta, because we know for a fact that in a normal ending (without all 4 alts) he just falls into the void and remains alive, so yes, there is a known non-violent solution, you have to TRY to murder him.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Thanks for showing off this very interesting game. I hadn't heard about it before I found your thread and it was a fun ride.

As for your resources post, I feel it would be good to mention there's similarly themed things outside of video games. Most people will have heard of Squid Game on Netflix, but of course there's more. Novels, movies, you name it.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

That was a cool game.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Thank you for the LP. It was a great ride, getting to see so many people experience an obscure game I love so much.

Rith posted:

I don’t know what it is you’re about to say, and I’m sure your intentions are... not malicious, at least. But before you speak, I’d like you to ask yourself if what you’re about to say has a chance of coming off as ignorant.

It...

:allears:

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Same here. It's also good to see the 'best ending' for the first proper time.

ReservedRobot
Oct 3, 2021
Thanks for the LP.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Thanks, enjoyed this a lot!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Rith posted:

So... I’m going to stop you right there.

It...

I can take a pretty good guess at what he was going to say there and it does fall into that zone of, like, yeah, I can see the sense and the well-meaningness behind that astute observation and, like, okay, congratulations on elementary analysis. I dunno. Of course, in making this observation, I necessarily have to cop to being called out by the game, so who knows where this leaves me.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

This was a very well done LP and quite interesting!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MagusofStars posted:

This was a very well done LP and quite interesting!

:emptyquote:

Thanks again for this great LP!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Thanks for showing off the game. I hadn't actually seen what came past the fall into the void before, let alone the 379 route.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
Thanks for showing off the game! I only caught this on the tail end, but I'm always happy to see games like this get a little more attention and love.

I always enjoy when writers manage to weave hints into a story that show an important part of a character through only subtext or indirect means. It's a gamble that a writer makes in that the hints have to:
-Be important enough to the character/story to make the reader care
-Weave into the story often enough so as to not feel tacked-on
-Unobtrusive enough that missing it won't ruin the entire story
-Clear enough that most readers should pick up on it easily
-Be handled in an appropriate manner relative to the sensitivity of the subject

That's a lot to balance, with some of it even being contradictory, so I'm willing to give kudos to anyone who does only an okay job of juggling all those things. This was a story that did a good job at those things with Ink's characterization!

And then it feels the need to disappoint me and spell it out at the end. :v:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Yeah, I could see ending that sentence at "you're".

But it's nice to have a confined transgender main character with the body text leaving no wiggle room. Because you know people would argue even if it was obvious.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SystemLogoff posted:

But it's nice to have a confined transgender main character with the body text leaving no wiggle room. Because you know people would argue even if it was obvious.
'Would'?

Try 'did'.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012

SystemLogoff posted:

Yeah. As much offends my writing sensibilities, the "clear for the audience" clause can take an overriding priority on certain subject matters. Especially for something available for free on the internet.

Edit:

girl dick energy posted:

'Would'?

Try 'did'.

Ah, right. I forgot about that earlier in the thread. Go figure, even putting your foot down as the writer isn't enough to stop the cockroaches sometimes.

OneWingedDevil fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 29, 2022

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

SystemLogoff posted:

Yeah I think it is nice to have it explicitly confirmed in one spot, (and a tricky-to-find optional spot at that) to just be able to point to if all the nice subtle stuff goes over people's heads.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It cleanly went over my head up until almost the very end.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Good game. Thanks for playing it. I liked it

Sword_of_Dusk
Sep 30, 2018

Legendary Luminary
Wonderful game we had here. Thanks for being my guide through it, Rith.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Great game, great LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I think this is my favorite of the ZE-alikes I've seen LPed here.