Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Could you hear the tone?
Yes, I heard it clear as day all the time.
Nope. Never even knew they emitted such a tone.
OP is a dumb smelly poop butt.
View Results

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

By popular demand posted:

How come I can hear 15.7khz only with my ear to the speaker at full volume but not farther? Is that like the Doppler effect?

You're likely feeling/hearing harmonics and distortions at this point, not the actual 15.7 khz tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

GolfHole posted:

i miss people not realizing that these screens blow up when you smash them

I also miss the passerby who stops, believing that this is true, and warns that it’s not a good idea to be trying to smash open the tv screen and then telling them that yes, it is a good idea to be doing this as you raise a huge chunk of coral over your head and then hurl it as hard as you can down at the screen. loving up a tv with coral is a lot of fun and the only explosion was the excitement of finally destroying that big crt.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I still have a CRT in my house, sits in an old oscilloscope from the 90s I just bought, it's cool.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

my house feels bare without an amber monochrome CRT for that authentic Fallout look.
:(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Degauss deez nuts lmao

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Degauss deez nuts lmao

:negative:

wankel13b
Jan 23, 2005

quak
I miss the smell of the dust that fell through the vents and baked inside.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
When I was in 8th grade my parents bought me a 27" CRT for my bedroom, and the ringing was so strong to me, amplified by my small room, that I couldn't watch it. They gave it to my sister and bought me a different one that wasn't nearly as intense for whatever reason. I'm not sure I'd be able to hear it nowadays.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I miss having to redo all the settings if the power went out/ TV was unplugged

BRB pooping
Apr 17, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

My hearing is destroyed and I can still hear it, it's not that high pitched u wretched human being.
Got my CRTV right here ready to play some N64, some NES, some SNES, some Genesis, some PS1, I got all the system hooked up and ready to go.

Im on my way to you with weed and beer lets do this

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The best part about crts was that you could take the back off, risk a bad shock, and run speaker wires straight into the back of the tube. Then when you’d play music it turned into an analog visualizer oscilloscope thing

That was fun

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vakal posted:

The correct answer is the degauss button.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

the real annoying 15khz whine of the deflection yoke is when someone whines about it

(all your 90s PC monitor CRTs operated at above 15khz at typical VGA resolutions and more so there isn't anything audible)

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Sophy Wackles posted:

Try playing around 15,700 Hz here and see if you can still hear it. I think that's the CRT whine frequency.

https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

I can't hear it well because it's either loving up my phone or it's merged with the continuous unending tone of tinnitus which I hear at all times continuously

It starts getting hard to tell around 14-15

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Hatsune Mike posted:

the real annoying 15khz whine of the deflection yoke is when someone whines about it

(all your 90s PC monitor CRTs operated at above 15khz at typical VGA resolutions and more so there isn't anything audible)

Whatever it was monitors for sure had a noticeable sound that was different depending on the monitor

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016

wankel13b posted:

I miss the smell of the dust that fell through the vents and baked inside.

Or the smell of the dust after you wiped it from a powered-on CRT. I can almost smell it.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN

LordoftheScheisse posted:

Or the smell of the dust after you wiped it from a powered-on CRT. I can almost smell it.

Or the smell of the computer dusting spray after you stick it up your wubbalibbloddy fadiddle discongraguleepo heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

X JAKK posted:

Or the smell of the computer dusting spray after you stick it up your wubbalibbloddy fadiddle discongraguleepo heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Dxd6ZXuy8

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Don't put high volume high frequency noises near your ear. It's supposed to be super bad for your hearing, even if perceptually it's barely audible.

really? i just spent a minute or two listening to that web site through my headphones. lol thanks something awful forums. stand by for the lawsuit jeffery. (I got to about 15,200 Hz before I stopped being able to hear it btw, no idea whether the quality of my headphones is a limiting factor. I could hear the whine of a CRT on standby when I was a kid.)

When I was in school I recall one physics lesson where they played us some educational video, and the teacher left the tv switched on afterwards. After about 5 minutes one of the other kids asked him if he could switch it off because the whine was a distraction, and the teacher was super surprised that they could hear it. Well not surprised exactly, I think the question just caught him off guard, he found it amusing.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

By popular demand posted:

my house feels bare without an amber monochrome CRT for that authentic Fallout look.
:(

Amber monochrome is such a neat look, especially since green monochrome is so engrained as the "old" terminal look in media. I've never seen one in person, but I just like how the amber looks.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I could hear it, OP, and I deffo played it off like a superpower.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

FPzero posted:

Amber monochrome is such a neat look, especially since green monochrome is so engrained as the "old" terminal look in media. I've never seen one in person, but I just like how the amber looks.

I used to work for a beverage company that used late ‘70s monochrome amber and green terminals that would print out data on old two-tone green paper fed into a giant dot matrix printer from the same era. I was told that the owner bought a fuckload of paper for the printer back around that time, but once it got all used up, that was it because they didn’t make that paper or even that size of paper anymore.

This was in 2007 :classiclol:

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I liked how the picture on some old TV screens would shrink down to a glowing white dot when you switched it off, and they were all different. My grandparents had several ancient TVs, the kind that were built in to large wooden cabinets, and you could get all sorts of weird effects with the glowing dot by switching it on and off multiple times. Sometimes the dot would leave a trail lIke a comet as it faded. There was also that creepy thing where you would turn off the TV in a dark room and the whole screen would glow for a few minutes. I loved jacking with the tint and color and vertical hold controls and make people’s faces green and purple. Come to think of it, I got yelled at a lot for messing with the TV.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

You Are A Elf posted:

That incredibly high pitched 15 KHz tone they used to emit while they were on that made it seem like you had superhuman hearing and/or was a demigod or some poo poo. You’d be in another room yelling, “Hey, turn off the dang TV!”, and someone would ask how you knew it was on, and you’d just turn to the imaginary camera and grin like Kevin McAllister.

Apparently, a lot of people I knew never even heard the tone (probably about half), while the other half could hear it as clearly as I could. Could you hear it?

I can hear up to 16,000 hz. Wife can hear up to 15,000 hz. Kid can hear 20,100 hz. Thx for coming to my TED talk

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

Ralph Hurley posted:

I liked how the picture on some old TV screens would shrink down to a glowing white dot when you switched it off, and they were all different. My grandparents had several ancient TVs, the kind that were built in to large wooden cabinets, and you could get all sorts of weird effects with the glowing dot by switching it on and off multiple times. Sometimes the dot would leave a trail lIke a comet as it faded. There was also that creepy thing where you would turn off the TV in a dark room and the whole screen would glow for a few minutes. I loved jacking with the tint and color and vertical hold controls and make people’s faces green and purple. Come to think of it, I got yelled at a lot for messing with the TV.

I would do this poo poo with Yard Sale TVs, so as to avoid incurring daddy's wrath for wrecking the Trinitron.

The tiny glowing dot thing was so magical

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

ty garlic bread

Oh no!

"you have been visited by the Spooky Garlic Bread. you will be cursed by having bad Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below"

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I've got a crt oscilloscope that focuses down to a dot if you let it. You don't appreciate how freakishly bright they are when the beam is in motion.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
CRTs are magic. I completely understand how modern TVs work but CRTs still amaze me.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Vakal posted:

The correct answer is the degauss button.

Why wasn't the thread closed after this post?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Stocky Manhood posted:

I can hear up to 16,000 hz. Wife can hear up to 15,000 hz. Kid can hear 20,100 hz. Thx for coming to my TED talk

Ages?

I'm 38, and anything above 14,500 or so, is silent

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I like how it used to take less than 5 seconds to change the channel and less than a minute and a half to turn on the goddamn tv.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Can’t hear higher than 12,725, but I’m using the built in speakers on an iPad pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

I like how it used to take less than 5 seconds to change the channel and less than a minute and a half to turn on the goddamn tv.