Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

A couple months back I upgraded my graphics card, switching from a 2070 Super to a Radeon 6800XT. Ever since that day, I've been unable to launch BlackMagic Resolve - the fuckin' thing crashes at "Loading Fairlight Engine".

Here's what I did starting from the first time the piece of poo poo failed to launch:

Initial OS build (Windows 10 Pro)
>Uninstalled all NVidia drivers & software
>Uninstalled DaVinci Resolve 17.3
>Installed complete AMD Radeon driver & software package
>Installed DaVinci Resolve 17.3 again
>Uninstalled DaVinci Resolve 17.3
>Uninstalled complete AMD Radeon driver & software package
>Installed AMD drivers package *only*, no extra software
>Installed DaVinci Resolve 17.3 again

No dice.

Wiped machine. Clean install of Windows 10.
>Installed AMD Radeon drivers only package
>Installed DaVinci Resolve 17.3

No dice.

Wiped machine. Clean install of Windows 11.
>Disconnected every USB device besides my keyboard & mouse, disconnected VR headset.
>Installed AMD Radeon drivers package
>Installed DaVinci Resolve 17.3

No loving dice.

Could it be a faulty graphics card?
No. I have been leaning on this card hard in the intervening time with exactly zero reliability/performance issues. I loving love this card. Here's what I've been playing on it:

Light load:
Beat Saber
Ragnarock
Synth Riders
I Expect You To Die

Moderate load:
Elite: Dangerous

Heavy load:
Half Life: Alyx
Red Dead Redemption 2
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (VR mode)

I'm running just about everything above in very high/ultra settings (FS2020 excluded because it's a pig).
Have used as much as 14GB of the 16GB VRAM and have had the card's % utilization into the 90s for prolonged periods in gaming without any kind of stability issue. Case is well ventilated, have never encountered thermal throttling on the CPU or GPU either.

PC Specs:
Windows 11 Pro (as of last night)
Ryzen 5 3600 on Asus B450-F Gaming
Radeon RX 6800 XT (Asus Tuf Gaming card)
3x Dell 1080p displays
32GB DDR4 3600
1TB Samsung 970 Pro NVMe

I exported logs, there was essentially nothing useful there - just the one error:
"DRIVER: panel connection failed"

Googling this returns a ton of people who had a ton of different problems - the only commonality was disconnecting poo poo until Resolve works. This should be irrelevant since this whole loving rig worked until I swapped the 2070 over for the 6800 - I tried it anyways, and surpise: no luck. gently caress BlackMagic.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to read them but otherwise just typing all this out was cathartic.

Edit:
Had been trying with 17.3.1 until this evening, I was advised that 17.3.2 was now available, so I downloaded that, unplugged everything but one keyboard, one mouse, and one display. Still no luck.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

You could also try running the program from safe mode and see what happens.

sarcastx posted:

Googling this returns a ton of people who had a ton of different problems...

Yes, there are lots of complaints about it.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Zogo posted:

Make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

You could also try running the program from safe mode and see what happens.

Yes, there are lots of complaints about it.

I passed all DaVinci software through Revo Uninstaller Pro to pull all local files & registry entries from my PC, then rebooted, entered BIOS and updated from a flash drive. Started Windows, installed DVR 17.3.2, and attempted to launch.

gently caress this shithouse software. I literally only need to do basic cutting, I should go look for something competent.
At "free" this software is more expensive than a copy of Vegas given all the loving time I've wasted on it.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

HOLY gently caress I FIXED IT, and the solution is so loving stupid I can't goddamned believe it.

I use Citrix Receiver for work - turns out, it installs this virtual display adapter as a part of the installation.
It is this virtual device that breaks Resolve - all I had to do was disable it.

loving assclowns.