Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the unabonger
who here is looking forward to Antlers? I greatly enjoyed The quiet boy when I read it, and am loooking forward to the adaptation to the big screen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
its a work day since I last posted, but it hit me that I never actually posted the link to the quiet boy: https://www.guernicamag.com/the-quiet-boy/

Manifisto

thanks, that's a really good creepy story. I'm certainly curious what they'll do with it, so much hinges on filmmaking style.

ty nesamdoom!

Manifisto

rewatching The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) confirms the oddly ambivalent feelings I have about the movie. it is creepily fascinating, thanks in large part to a compelling performance by barry keoghan as a boy with an unlikely and ambiguous friendship with a married cardiac surgeon. the movie builds very effectively on this uncertainty until the premise announces itself, which makes the movie no less bizarre and unsettling but at least clarifies the issues with which the characters are contending. nicole kidman also gives an outstanding performance and I remain thoroughly impressed she would take on this role. that said, while I admire the film, I find it strangely disagreeable. one critic called it profoundly nihilistic and I think that's as good a diagnosis as any. the film challenges the viewer, but I wonder whether meeting the challenge is ultimately worth it--whether it prompts any meaningful reflection or stimulates any recognizable emotion. imagine watching a greek tragedy performed by extremely lifelike but unquestionably non-sentient robots, I imagine that would leave a similar impression: the second you try to connect with the performances you realize there is nothing to connect with, no point of reference you can share.

e: ok for what it's worth (not very much lol), my impression is the filmmaker has attempted to create a thorough indictment of modernity by demonstrating that classic greek tragedy does not translate into the modern age, because people and the society they inhabit utterly lack passion and humanity. we are a society without gods and as such the notion of "divine retribution" devolves into nihilism. we don't for a second get the sense that passions like love or loyalty animate the characters, no matter how much the characters weep or protest; we do not even get the sense that the characters care very much about their own fates. in a movie centered around a cardiac surgeon, we are given a surprising diagnosis: humanity has lost its heart altogether.

Manifisto fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 21, 2021

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

I like how much Mani writes like some kind of professional rear end movie critic in byob

take the moon

by sebmojo

Manifisto posted:

oo I just saw this on a list, I'm intrigued

def good lol. that dude makes good movies

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

beer pal

Manifisto posted:

rewatching The Killing of a Sacred Deer (2017) confirms the oddly ambivalent feelings I have about the movie. it is creepily fascinating, thanks in large part to a compelling performance by barry keoghan as a boy with an unlikely and ambiguous friendship with a married cardiac surgeon. the movie builds very effectively on this uncertainty until the premise announces itself, which makes the movie no less bizarre and unsettling but at least clarifies the issues with which the characters are contending. nicole kidman also gives an outstanding performance and I remain thoroughly impressed she would take on this role. that said, while I admire the film, I find it strangely disagreeable. one critic called it profoundly nihilistic and I think that's as good a diagnosis as any. the film challenges the viewer, but I wonder whether meeting the challenge is ultimately worth it--whether it prompts any meaningful reflection or stimulates any recognizable emotion. imagine watching a greek tragedy performed by extremely lifelike but unquestionably non-sentient robots, I imagine that would leave a similar impression: the second you try to connect with the performances you realize there is nothing to connect with, no point of reference you can share.

i should re watch that one too, i remember really liking it. i liked how the muted affect of the actors made the whole thing feel vaguely alien. seems to be a trademark of the director; the performances in his other film 'the lobster' are the same way. ive been meaning for a while to watch his previous film 'dogtooth'

barry keoghan rules, realizing now ive seen him in a few things playing a weird rear end in a top hat.

I didnt realize its actually based on a greek tragedy very cool

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

the unabonger

beer pal posted:

i liked how the muted affect of the actors made the whole thing feel vaguely alien.

I think this is a pretty good way to describe it.

alnilam posted:

I like how much Mani writes like some kind of professional rear end movie critic in byob

smae.

beer pal

Manifisto posted:

e: ok for what it's worth (not very much lol), my impression is the filmmaker has attempted to create a thorough indictment of modernity by demonstrating that classic greek tragedy does not translate into the modern age, because people and the society they inhabit utterly lack passion and humanity. we are a society without gods and as such the notion of "divine retribution" devolves into nihilism. we don't for a second get the sense that passions like love or loyalty animate the characters, no matter how much the characters weep or protest; we do not even get the sense that the characters care very much about their own fates. in a movie centered around a cardiac surgeon, we are given a surprising diagnosis: humanity has lost its heart altogether.

thats a very interesting reading

https://i.imgur.com/xQxnooW.png

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Inspired by last night's movie night, The Raven (1963) features Vincent Price, Peter Lorre, Boris Karloff, and is directed by Roger Corman. It's a comedy.

Manifisto

La Llorona (2020) (shudder) is a restrained but effective retelling of a latin american ghost story, in which many of the ghosts turn out to be past atrocities committed by the guatamalan government against native mayans. the aging general who oversaw these horrors is cooped up in his mansion with a few family members as he is put on long-delayed trial, and is abandoned by nearly all of the household's native servants save for an enigmatic young woman who suddenly appears. it's not a conventional horror story but it is fascinating and well-paced (after a slow first few minutes) and provides interesting character studies and a hard look at history. a good flick.

False Positive (2021) (hulu) is imo a very capable entry in the genre of pregnancy horror, which can never avoid the long shadow of Rosemary's Baby but has plenty of room for interesting variations. a young couple has trouble conceiving and so seeks the assistance of the husband's old medical school teacher, a renowned fertility expert played with an absolutely creepy blissed-out demeanor by pierce brosnan. a recurring theme is what one can and can't control during the course of pregnancy, and the nature and limits of trust. the wife's efforts to shape her "birth story" are juxtaposed with the concept of fairy tales, especially peter pan, and heads into territory that has elements of predictability but also has surprises up its sleeve. an interesting trick it manages to pull off is portraying the solicitousness of the mother's friends, co-workers, and acquaintances as simultaneously genuine and enthusiastic, but also intrusive and somewhat inexplicable (for example, when the woman's boss refers to himself as having "women's intuition"). the filmmaker uses many such small tricks to throw the story subtly off kilter, into the realm of the less comforting sort of fairy tale. the film seems to have its share of detractors, but it held my interest.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

I grew up hearing La Llorona stories and stuff. I heard mixed things about the movie.

alnilam

I watched His House (netflix) last night and it was really good, and like the movie, this post will have an appalling twist near the end :spooky: really fantastic treatment of the refugee experience, the horrors of civil war, PTSD, what it's like to have been through the hell and then have to deal with the comparatively mild but still stinging indignity of rejection and ostracization as a refugee, the struggle between trying to leave your past life behind you and integrate vs trying to honor and keep your past. A lot of time in the movie to think about these things, between the nighttime haunted house terror scenes that are really well done. Incredible artfully done dream and flashback sequences including a long dolly shot of the main character eating dinner that blew me away, and some longer flashbacks that are hauntingly dreamlike while they retell the refugees' backstory including a really jaw dropping twist regarding their "daughter" who died in the sea crossing. And here's the other twist to this post: my wife fell asleep with 30 minutes left and woke up to me saying "oh my god" about the twist, so i still haven't seen the last 20 minutes or so. we're gonna finish it tonight... that's right baby writing a post about a movie i didn't even finish yet :twisted:

Manifisto

wow you've shyamalan'd the heck out of us

ty nesamdoom!

alnilam

It's driving me crazy to have stopped it right at the climax so i think I had to :justpost: my way through these feelings

alnilam

Okay finished it and it's a really good movie. having seen the ending i can also say it has a lot in common with the babadook in a good way

Manifisto

I followed alnilam's lead and watched His House and concur that it's a very good and satisfying movie. it's interesting, it has an aesthetic of rundown spaces but very different from the gorgeous decay of Caveat--here the filth is less romanticized, more literal. it is definitely a horror movie but has a mystery element at its core.

ty nesamdoom!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

iirc, tommy chong is barely even in the movie. i will admit, i dont remember much about the movie.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

quote:

In Weedwolf, the outrageous residents of small-town Normal, Texas, find their partying ways threatened by a mysterious werewolf who likes to eat stoners.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prof. Crocodile

wonder if that's actually willie nelson? or just a spoof of willie nelson? or maybe just a character in the movie that happened to be costumed like willie nelson and no one noticed?

Manifisto

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to see Lars Von Trier's Melancholia (2011) (hulu), I think it has to do with my conflicted reaction to other von trier films. anyway, melancholia is a good one, visually arresting and challenging in its themes. the storytelling is a bit elliptical but ultimately isn't very hard to follow, it is divided into two sections each of which follows the perspective of one sister, first at an ill-fated wedding and then as a more global drama unfolds. there are quite a few moments of arty visuals complementing a soaring operatic score, I found these quite lovely. I think the film is in part about the peculiar relief that comes from fully acknowledging and accepting something, perhaps something dark and shocking, like freeing yourself from a bad case of gaslighting. I don't know that many would consider it a horror movie per se, and yet it contains moments of fascinating dread so why not?

ty nesamdoom!

French Accent

I missed out on From Beyond and Re-Animator, but tomorrow my group's final list of movies will be Halloweens 1 and 2, which I haven't watched yet!

I know I'm in for a good time.

Zurtilik

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
They're fun to watch back to back because it basically plays like a 3 hour movie.

Escape From Noise

I have yet to see Halloween. I haven't watched many of the classics. I do know the theme. I just love that John Carpenter wrote, directed, and did music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT4FY3NrhGg

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
A young ballerina joins a new academy, and her personality begins to change as she becomes increasingly obsessed with Swan Lake. Etoile (1989), starring Jennifer Connelly, is an Italian movie that goes in a completely different weird direction than Black Swan. While not all that scary, it culminates in a real wtf moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rj8jXkCzTbA

French Accent

French Accent posted:

I missed out on From Beyond and Re-Animator, but tomorrow my group's final list of movies will be Halloweens 1 and 2, which I haven't watched yet!

I know I'm in for a good time.

Just watched the movies. Definitely a fun time with friends.

alnilam

French Accent posted:

a fun time with friends.

This was actually the original tagline for Halloween 1, but the publisher rejected it

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

finished up my halloween movie-watching with Hunted (2020) (shudder), a modern take on little red riding hood. what passes for a plot in this flick is not very complicated (someone is being chased and hunted, that's largely it), and the film's depictions of its odious villain border on the gratuitous. and yet the cinematography, and the kinetic energy of much of the movie, was arresting, with a few moments of unexpected wtf chaos thrown in to keep things interesting. I can't call it a good or substantial movie, but I found it eminently watchable.

ty nesamdoom!