Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
The etymology of the word 'awful' doesn't begin with negative connotations. In fact it originally meant 'awe-inspiring' (along with negative meanings like 'inspiring fear'.) It wasn't until much later that we solidified 'awful' into negative and created 'awesome' as the positive aspects of awe.

Conclusion: you're all awful.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/6802/awesome-vs-awful

Originally, awful had the meaning of being awe-inspiring (including positive connotations), as well as "worthy of, or commanding, profound respect or reverential fear." It was not a far stretch to then use it also to mean "Causing dread; terrible, dreadful, appalling." The earliest records of these uses date back to at least 1000 AD. Between 1000 and 1800, the word evolved to the current meaning: "Frightful, very ugly, monstrous; and hence as a mere intensive deriving its sense from the context = Exceedingly bad, great, long, etc."

Awesome came around much later than awful. It is first recorded in 1598, after awful had been around hundreds of years. Perhaps the need for this word arose because awful had already taken on such a strong negative connotation by this time. So awesome stepped in to again have the meaning of "awe-inspiring", but without the strong negative connotations. Ultimately, in the mid-1900s, the word awesome went from awe-inspiring to its more common use today: "amazing, great, etc."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao

cool 🙂👍

e: this is a good post i mean, sorry i didn't mean for that to come across weird

biosterous

by the specific definition being discussed in the thread, i think OP is pretty awful as well :buddy:

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

alexandriao posted:

cool 🙂👍

e: this is a good post i mean, sorry i didn't mean for that to come across weird

Post-ive aggressive :bahgawd:

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

boo-osterous posted:

by the specific definition being discussed in the thread, i think OP is pretty awful as well :buddy:

:cheerdoge: