Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Problem description: The CPU cooler fan and case fan started making grinding noises on my Lenovo M82 SFF desktop. I replaced them both with Noctua NF-A8 PWM fans. Now when the computer boots up it gives me a "0153 fan failure" error message for both fans. I opened the case to check and both fans are working and plugged into the correct headers. Unfortunately, I can't swap in the old fans to check them out as I threw them out.

Attempted fixes: Restarting, the machine, swapping fan connectors

Recent changes: Replaced the fans

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Pro

System specs: Lenovo M82 SFF Desktop (i7-3770K, 16GB RAM, Samsung 250 GB SSD, nVidia GT 1030)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the fans are working at their normal speeds and the temperatures are okay then you might be able to disable the fan warning messages through the BIOS.

I've also seen machines run fine for years with that fan failure message.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Zogo posted:

If the fans are working at their normal speeds and the temperatures are okay then you might be able to disable the fan warning messages through the BIOS.

I've also seen machines run fine for years with that fan failure message.
Unfortunately the BIOS doesn't have anyway to disable hardware monitoring. The computer won't go past the POST screen with the "fan failure" warning. There's no way to continue the boot process.

I ended up ordering new OEM fans from Lenovo. I'm guessing the Noctua fans are operating outside of some voltage specifications so hopefully the OEM fans will fix the issue.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

As a follow up, replacing the Noctua fans with stock OEM fans fixed the problem. I had to look up the original Lenovo part number to order them. I guess there is some voltage detection or something going on causing the BIOS to trigger the error when non-stock fans are used.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, it sounds like computer makers are becoming more like car makers. It's a way for manufacturers to ensure that only certain parts are used.