Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

TotalHell posted:

Honestly I think it would be cool generally to see more collections posted ITT!

Alright, happy to oblige!

For background, Doomtown is based off the Deadlands RPG--steampunk Lovecraftian wild west. The aim of the game is to build a boomtown (Gomorrah in the story) and take control of it though some combination of playing deeds (worth control points), taking control of your opponent's deeds (also worth control points), and killing your opponent's dudes (who have influence; you win if you have more control points than your opponent has influence, giving a pretty strong incentive to blow away those dudes and reduce their influence).

My collection, which has survived however many moves and the concomitant purges always associated with them. The box on the left is a "Do Unto Others" box set box--Alderac, which purchased the rights to the game about 2/3 into its short life, decided to shut it down after this set was in development and rather than distribute it in the standard CCG booster pack/starter deck model instead sold complete sets in these boxes. The problem is only 1 copy of each card was included, and the game allows for up to four copies of each card per deck, so some of the cards in it go for quite a bit as people have tried to purchase playsets. I've bought a few singles from this set over the years.

Each sleeve holds 800 cards, I think? Maybe a thousand, which is where I got my estimate of 2,500-3,000 cards. That may be a bit conservative. I've never done a full inventory because I was lazy in the past and have other poo poo to do now.

The Do Unto Others box is great for transporting decks--enough space for four sleeved decks (55 cards in total: one outfit, two jokers, and 52 playable cards in the deck), my glass beads for ghost rock (the currency) and other various counters, a rulebook, and some spare sleeves for when they'd inevitably split.

And now some cards! The one on the left is fairly common, usually runs $2-$3 and was included in a normally-distributed set. The one on the right was a promo, and is much rarer and more expensive; I usually see them go for $15-$20 when they're on market*. The Left Shooter was my first "rare" card I acquired, well after my playgroup kinda fell apart.

*One of the things about collecting a game that's 20 years out of print is the market is pretty ossified--there's not that much buying/selling going on, and near as I can tell a few of the bigger collectors (who are concentrated in Australia for whatever reason) have tried to sell out over the past few years. I check eBay every few months not just to see if there's anything I want to buy but just to see what's available, at all.

Jokers! One of the primary mechanics of Doomtown is resolving conflicts (both figurative and literal) by playing hands of poker: you determine turn order by playing a game of lowball (lowest hand wins), and resolve shootouts by playing some combination of draw and stud, depending on how good your dudes are at shooting. Jokers, naturally, are wild cards in these games. They tend to be pretty valuable in general as every deck wants the two they're permitted--there's literally no downside. The two at the bottom of the pic are "normal" jokers (like the ones in the middle), but are promos that were included in InQuest magazine. They usually fetch about double what the normal iterations go for.

A misprint that never got errata'ed. Regarding playing poker, different card types are different suits (dudes: spades; goods, events, and spells: hearts; deeds and improvements: diamonds; actions: clubs). This was supposed to be a heart like all other goods, but after the card was released the publisher wisely just said "eh, gently caress it, play it as a club." Not really a big, game-altering misprint, but kinda cool.

A mostly-complete grouping of my most valuable cards. None of these were promos, all distributed in "normal" sets, but because of their power are among the most sought-after non-promos. The Spike Dougan exp. in the top right in particular is a real jewel of the collection--I deliberately sought that card out for YEARS before one finally came on market. These can go for anywhere from $20-$45 apiece.

Finally, my most recent acquisition. Nothing really special about the card, other than it was off market for a while and I was happy to grab one when I could. I also like the flavor of the card--an irascible claim jumper who'll defend his new lode to the death.

This game is super fun, though in hindsight is quite problematic--one of the 10 playable factions is the "Sioux Union," which is just a collection of terribly racist "noble savage" tropes. There's sprinklings of racism elsewhere in the game, like the mostly-Asian "Maze Rats," the pirate faction of the game.

I could probably offload the whole collection in bulk for $500-$750; parsing out each "value" card would maybe net me a little more, but that's a shitload of work for less than a grand. Also, the former Doomtown-playing friend I still hang out with still has his cards, and one of these days (I swear!) we'll actually set some time aside and play again.

Judgy Fucker fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
Did someone say they like Pokémons??

Prerelease Clefable, signed by the illustrator Mitsuhiro Arita. Not my most valuable card, but probably my favorite (and the only one I have graded).

My rarest thing is probably this set of square-cut Neo Discovery foils:

Here's my full collection, if anyone's interested. I'm only keeping a singleton set of each promo card, though; selling the rest, because hoo boy does this cardboard go for a lot these days!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

These collections are so impressive.

It raises the question for me: how valuable should a card be to go about the process of getting it graded?

For example, I have a shiny, minty foil Rhystic Study that’s been kept fresh and protected in a binder for like twenty years. Looks like its value would be in the $500 range. Worth getting graded? Or should you only grade cards that are like $1000+ and/or mean something you to personally?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

TotalHell posted:

It raises the question for me: how valuable should a card be to go about the process of getting it graded?

For example, I have a shiny, minty foil Rhystic Study that’s been kept fresh and protected in a binder for like twenty years. Looks like its value would be in the $500 range. Worth getting graded? Or should you only grade cards that are like $1000+ and/or mean something you to personally?

in the before times grading services had reasonable demand and you could send cards to them in bulk. That might have been $10 per card? Not exactly sure. The only "limit" was they have minimum charges based on the value of the card, so you have to cough up more $$$ if you sent them truly valuable stuff (and I assume they know enough to know if you try to send them expensive stuff via their bulk grading service, not to mention the issue of insuring your package etc.)

Now they're still digging through a backlog of thousands-and-thousands of cards from a year ago, and have suspended all but the priciest grading services. I think PSA recently reduced the minimum charge to grade a card from $300 to $150.

It also varies a lot game to game. Pokemon has collectors that love PSA graded cards and many fewer players, MtG seems to put a premium on playable cards that can go into commander decks, cubes, etc. Of course people still grade their Power 9 and such, but not nearly to the extent people do in Pokemon and sports cards where playability takes a back seat to collectability.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Here's my PSA Story. At the end of 2020 I decided to try sending in a card to PSA via a respected proxy service, Ludkins Collectibles. It was one of these:

Only a non reverse foil. A cheap card but my favorite pokemon and favorite artwork and would go nicely with the graded whimsicott gx cards I already had ebayed. In January of 2021 I paid the invoice to Ludkins of $10 or $12 and they did the paperwork and sent it to PSA. All of this was right before the pokemon grading blow up. Now it is November of 2021 and as far as I know the card is still in the research and ID phase at PSA, a spot it's been in since June or so thanks to the boom. Since I've sent Whimsicott in I've become disillusioned with graded cards, sold some of the ones I had collected and changed my whole philosophy when it comes to collecting TCG cards. I don't expect to see this card back any time soon either, last I heard the backup was something like 14 months to two years. Now I'm just hoping that my card becomes something like the two millionth poke card graded and PSA shows it off on their site like they did for the 1 millionth, just to watch the internet melt down over it.

So unless you have something exceptional that warrants sending it in at the express tier for a couple of hundred dollars, I'd just keep your cards safe and enjoy them.

These have all taken a hit market wise but they're still my most $$ pokemon cards and I'm glad I never sent them in and can look at them whenever and not be fretting about them sitting on the shelf at PSA.

Now some oddball crap.

Got a few signed artist mtg proofs and a random judge foil.

And one for my inner weeb. There is a whole set of these promo cards featuring most or all of the Inuyasha characters and I should have gotten more while I had the chance.

If you can't tell the tcg cards that go toploaded into a special box are ones I liked the artwork of or are somewhat valuable. This has lead to a stack of mostly cheap pokemon promos, but whatever.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
Since we’re opening the thread up to other games I’ll have to post my Age of Empires II ECG collection. I didn’t know of anybody else growing up that played it but apparently the sealed product has some demand these days - ebay listings for booster boxes are in the $400 range.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Here it is, my foil-y Rhystic Study. My second-most-valuable MTG card at the moment.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
amazon had kaldheim set booster boxes for 75 bucks for black friday, I picked up a couple and cracked'em because why not. pretty decent haul all things considered, the double goldspan dragons certainly helps soften the blow of there only being 8 mythics between both boxes.

stoked about the showcase tergrid, one of my favorite cards mechanically ever, a bit below kroxa for me.

man I wish I hadn't sold the foil borderless kroxa I pulled when I opened some theros boxes, not because it'd be worth more now, but because it's my #1 favorite card in mtg history after playing with it for a while when it was in standard. just a really, really fun card to play. I hope it somehow makes its way into a core set or something down the road, it's a powerful card but not obscenely so, it requires a lot of build around to work properly. but when it works, man is it satisfying.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

Xenomrph posted:

I don’t know what an artist sign is, am I an idiot?

This sort of thing -- a sharpie signature from the original artist of the card.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Sure am waiting for the postage situation between AU and the US to calm down so I can get Pete Venters to shadow sign 10 of my USG Pestilence cards.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

TotalHell posted:

Here it is, my foil-y Rhystic Study. My second-most-valuable MTG card at the moment.

As someone who played during Prophecy and immediately recognized that this 'rhystic' card was different than all the others, it is endlessly hilarious to me that this common is now < $30 for non-foil versions. I can't find a price for a foil one right now, but when I sold my MTG collection in May this year, I got over $130 bucks (and that's just CK buylist pricing, so that's low) for something I presumably got for cheap to free nearly 20 years ago.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

As someone who played during Prophecy and immediately recognized that this 'rhystic' card was different than all the others, it is endlessly hilarious to me that this common is now < $30 for non-foil versions. I can't find a price for a foil one right now, but when I sold my MTG collection in May this year, I got over $130 bucks (and that's just CK buylist pricing, so that's low) for something I presumably got for cheap to free nearly 20 years ago.

Yeah I was in-and-out of Magic for quite a while, so I hadn’t price-checked this thing in YEARS. Then I finally start inventorying my stuff and enter this, and what do you know, extremely valuable common, with the addition of the hike that older foils seem to have gone through over the past however-many years.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
So my Gate Ruler cards came in and boy, this is some seriously cool poo poo. Trying to take photos of these to show them off is extremely hard because the foil stuff looks insane.

This one's highlighting was done in a texture aluminium finish that looks absolutely wild IRL

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Magic experimented with a similar foiling they called "etched", I like it. A short video is often the best way to show off foil treatments if you wanted to try that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
As far as I can tell its similar to the textured full art cards pokemon has been doing since Sun and Moon and those have gotten better with the Sword and Shield sets. They put fun patterns in them sometimes, like theres a bunch of candies in the texture pattern for full art alcremie V (I'm not where I can post a pic of it or else I would). It gives the cards a better sparkle and look to them imho than the all over gaudy foil glitter holo pokemon likes to do such as in the Celebrations subset. Textured cards are awesome!

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

I love cracking packs to get cards…but of course the moment I purchased a foil retro-frame Marsh Flats, I also decided to get a Collector Booster of Modern Horizons 2. And what do I get in said booster? Another foil retro-frame Marsh Flats.

The booster and the Flats I purchased outright literally arrived here on the same day.

Let this be a warning to all pack-crackers.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

TotalHell posted:

I love cracking packs to get cards…but of course the moment I purchased a foil retro-frame Marsh Flats, I also decided to get a Collector Booster of Modern Horizons 2. And what do I get in said booster? Another foil retro-frame Marsh Flats.

The booster and the Flats I purchased outright literally arrived here on the same day.

Let this be a warning to all pack-crackers.
all I'm hearing is THAT COULD BE ME, JUST ONE MORE HIT!!!!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Zendikar Rising draft boxes were $75 on Amazon for Cyber Monday and I thought about grabbing one, but I really wanted to open some set boosters instead so I decided to just wait and save until Kamigawa Neon Dynasty comes out. Plus, I just saw that new Secret Lairs are available and the Pixel Snow Lands look incredible so I'm gonna get those instead.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Do people just not like artist proofs/signed cards/sketch cards? I super lowballed a couple of people on ebay with offers at half or slightly under asking price and somehow won them. Unless sellers are dumping stock because of the tax law changes or are in need of Christmas money themselves?

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Turbinosamente posted:

Do people just not like artist proofs/signed cards/sketch cards? I super lowballed a couple of people on ebay with offers at half or slightly under asking price and somehow won them. Unless sellers are dumping stock because of the tax law changes or are in need of Christmas money themselves?

maybe demand is just low right now? TCGPlayer just did 15% bonus points last week and I bet people were saving up for that.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Empty Pockets posted:

maybe demand is just low right now? TCGPlayer just did 15% bonus points last week and I bet people were saving up for that.

I guess so, nothing about the listings threw up any red flags so I'm reasonably confident they're not fakes or some poo poo. Just extremely surprising, I'm so used to sellers not budging on their price or deigning to give you like $2 off. While I wait for those to come in here's a nice drawing of a chicken:

...I may be getting in too deep on artist trading cards in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It could very well be Christmas shopping stuff. You can generally see similar things each year as tax filing deadlines approach. People need money for upcoming expenses and are more willing to accept a haggle. That's my guess at least.