Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Rise from your grave, thread.

We bought a house recently, and while tearing down some bushes found a large pink sparkly rock. It's gotta be a hundred pounds, and appears to be rose quartz. So I get curious and Google, and I'm seeing 30 lb pieces priced at like 500 dollars.

Do I have a thousand plus dollar chunk of rock? Even if I do, is there an actual market for giant pink rocks, or would this just sit on ebay for years before some rich crazy person decided they needed a healing boulder or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I don’t know how realistic rock prices are but my girlfriend thinks her tumbled rocks are worth a fortune because every time she googles them there’s similar stuff with crazy asking prices. My guess is they just never sell but idk

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Snowy posted:

I don’t know how realistic rock prices are but my girlfriend thinks her tumbled rocks are worth a fortune because every time she googles them there’s similar stuff with crazy asking prices. My guess is they just never sell but idk
Yeah, that's honestly my guess. Like, more googling suggests it typically goes for anywhere from 1 to 4 dollars a pound from landscaping companies, but any site that talks about quartz's healing powers charges like 50 bucks a pound.

So I think I just need to sell it to idiots?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Slugworth posted:

Rise from your grave, thread.

We bought a house recently, and while tearing down some bushes found a large pink sparkly rock. It's gotta be a hundred pounds, and appears to be rose quartz. So I get curious and Google, and I'm seeing 30 lb pieces priced at like 500 dollars.

Do I have a thousand plus dollar chunk of rock? Even if I do, is there an actual market for giant pink rocks, or would this just sit on ebay for years before some rich crazy person decided they needed a healing boulder or something?

post a pic

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

It's a lot pinker in person. Nothing there for scale, but it's about 18 inches across the widest point. I'm not exactly a strong man, but I know I can lift at least a hundred pounds, and this thing was legit kind of a pain to flip over. I ended up rolling it onto a towel and dragging it across the yard.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

It's worth a little but not a whole lot. Are you perchance in Georgia or environs?
High quality rose quartz can be fairly clear (never perfectly clear because its color comes from fine mineral inclusions which by necessity also provide some haze) and fairly deep in color. It can also have a 6 ray mobile star which is fun. I've paid almost a dollar a gram for top notch stuff with an almost red color but I'm afraid yours is towards the other end of the spectrum, not high enough grade for lapidary work.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 21, 2022

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's a nice big chunk but you're not gonna make $500. Maybe a hundred bucks if you clean it up real good and work out a good patter about how it cures bunions or whatever

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 21, 2022

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Scarodactyl posted:

It's worth a little but not a whole lot. Are you perchance in Georgia or environs?
High quality rose quartz can be fairly clear (never perfectly clear because its color comes from fine mineral inclusions which by necessity also provide some haze) and fairly deep in color. It can also have a 6 ray mobile star which is fun. I've paid almost a dollar a gram for top notch stuff with an almost red color but I'm afraid yours is towards the other end of the spectrum, not high enough grade for lapidary work.
North Carolina. I understand it's fairly common around here - A couple of the nearby beaches get a lot of milky quartz stones washing up on them frequently (we're actually slowly collecting them to use as landscaping stones).

Thanks for the input everyone - I figured this wouldn't be my retirement plan or anything, but it temporarily seemed like a little surprise treasure. The gf really likes it, so I suppose it still is. (I'm not personally sold on big pink rocks in my yard, but so it goes).

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

I'd bet it was brought up from the Hogg mine in Georgia where similar material is super abundant. Milky quartz is all over the place here but rose quartz is really not a common find in NC outside of salted sluice bucket mines.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

My plan for all the enormous (foundation scrap) sandstone blocks coming up in my yard is to stand them up in the front yard, do that with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

hell yeah henges for all