Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

post old clothes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

a 1940s-1960s american P44 camo jacket

a 1950s jacquard rayon leisure shirt

a 1980s baltimore orioles starter jacket

a 1980s issey miyake (A-net) windcoat

a y2k era pleather grommet shirt

i grew up thrifting and spent some time intensively sourcing and selling vintage clothing from about 2016 - 2020 for a brick and mortar shop. in that time i had some crazy things pass through my hands, some of my clothing may have been bought and used on screen on the TV show The Deuce, and some standout pieces of mine were acquired by a museum. i kept very few pieces for myself, but managed to flesh out an entire wardrobe. these days i usually just cruise ebay for vintage oakleys and 50s gabardine jackets and other pieces as i need them.

kreeningsons fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 27, 2024

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFimNdtWw_Y&t=416s

What is vintage clothing?

it's old clothes. usually but not necessarily previously worn.

How old is vintage clothing?

some dealers and collectors won't apply the label "vintage" until 12 years after the piece is made and the "antique" label until 90-100 years. that said the more interesting questions for me are how a piece encapsulates the styles of a certain era or how it is connected to certain historical events, and not whether it's considered vintage. just post old clothes.

Why do people buy this stuff?

everyday people buy vintage clothes to wear every day. film productions buy vintage clothing for the screen. new clothing brands buy vintage clothing to use as reference pieces for new collections, to rework/refurbish for the runway or reselling, or to store in their brand archives. museums acquire clothes for their collections. collectors buy clothes for the collectible value.

Where do you find vintage clothing?

vintage clothing stores and private sellers. thrift stores, flea markets, and yard sales. used textile wholesalers. old barns. a dumpster on the side of the road. buried in the mud in old mines. wrangler possesses in their archives a pair of partially decomposed jeans that were discovered rotting in a field by a collector. a man on these very forums related a story about his neighbor demolishing a wall to discover it was insulated entirely with 100 year old jeans.

Does vintage clothing cost a lot of money?

sometimes yes and sometimes no. the benefit of the cheap stuff is that it's entirely possible to find pieces that are very inexpensive compared to their modern counterparts. the expensive stuff can get up to six figures for a pair of jeans.

Are my old anime and video game t shirts worth a ton of money?

unironically yes. post them

Will you appraise my meemaw's sweaters?

unironically yes. post them

post all your old clothes or questions related to old clothes.

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
I have a very curated intrest in vintage/retro designer (Westwood, Alexander McQueen, Rick Owens, The Blondes, Biba (wierd australian licenced), Ferragamo, Jil Sander, Prada, Anna Sui, Betsy Johnson, Yoji Yamamoto, Comme de Garçon, Dior, Gunne Sax, Burberry, YSL and Muglier) - and some of their defusion brands (Moschino Cheap and Chic, Armani Red/Collezioni mid tier to luxury in men's and women's.

Very goth/new romantic/runway alt/ garments and vintage/retro fashion accessories and garments.

I spend a lot of time digging thrift stores for bougie poo poo in only excellent nick. One of my house mate had a massive collection of Australian made and designed indie alternative fast fashion from as far back as the 50s to 90s day dresses. Think Easton Pearson/Gorman/Sass & Bide/Table 8 fast fashion 70s street and party wear cocktail dresses and designs, 1 off collections made by indie designer's from Melboure, Sydney and Brisbane.

And that is not inclusive of my collection of Japanese Street Fashion.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

lt_kennedy posted:

I have a very curated intrest in vintage/retro designer (Westwood, Alexander McQueen, Rick Owens, The Blondes, Biba (wierd australian licenced), Ferragamo, Jil Sander, Prada, Anna Sui, Betsy Johnson, Yoji Yamamoto, Comme de Garçon, Dior, Gunne Sax, Burberry, YSL and Muglier) - and some of their defusion brands (Moschino Cheap and Chic, Armani Red/Collezioni mid tier to luxury in men's and women's.

Very goth/new romantic/runway alt/ garments and vintage/retro fashion accessories and garments.

I spend a lot of time digging thrift stores for bougie poo poo in only excellent nick. One of my house mate had a massive collection of Australian made and designed indie alternative fast fashion from as far back as the 50s to 90s day dresses. Think Easton Pearson/Gorman/Sass & Bide/Table 8 fast fashion 70s street and party wear cocktail dresses and designs, 1 off collections made by indie designer's from Melboure, Sydney and Brisbane.

And that is not inclusive of my collection of Japanese Street Fashion.

Finding vintage designer is always a rush. I had this cool 80s CDG open front sweater for a while. Finding it in an extremely rural part of the state was odd, but I tried not to question it and just thanked the thrift gods and moved on. A friend had this crazy mugler see through soutache bolero that was a work of art for a while. I used to find some old jean paul gaultier mesh tops from time to time, but i'm still on the lookout for the perfect one for myself ...

I always thought it was funny that scott mcclintock released clothing under his namesake, and all of it was a dead ringer for the gunne sax label. It makes more sense considering his mom hired him to work for her original label, but something about a multigenerational victorian revival clothing family is funny to me.

I will probably fall into an australian indie fashion rabbit hole after this post, since I have basically no exposure to that kind of stuff

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

kreeningsons posted:

Finding vintage designer is always a rush. I had this cool 80s CDG open front sweater for a while. Finding it in an extremely rural part of the state was odd, but I tried not to question it and just thanked the thrift gods and moved on. A friend had this crazy mugler see through soutache bolero that was a work of art for a while. I used to find some old jean paul gaultier mesh tops from time to time, but i'm still on the lookout for the perfect one for myself ...

I always thought it was funny that scott mcclintock released clothing under his namesake, and all of it was a dead ringer for the gunne sax label. It makes more sense considering his mom hired him to work for her original label, but something about a multigenerational victorian revival clothing family is funny to me.

I will probably fall into an australian indie fashion rabbit hole after this post, since I have basically no exposure to that kind of stuff

It's a tale of what buisness school brain fashion houses like EP, Sass & Bide size 0 thottery jeans, Maiotchi, Gorman, Zimmerman hard femme

Vs art/fashion school visual arts brain government funded social projects making club kid, Y2K revival, retro home sewers, recycle 80s to 30s fashion that exists for fashion history mega nerds like me and my bff.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

kreeningsons posted:

Good lord gunne sax

That's a phrase I haven't heard since maybe 7th grade, so 1980 maybe

Suddenly all the cool girls were wearing these frilly sundresses with elastic bodices with that brand name

Out of nowhere seemingly they were the in thing

But it was brief iirc

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Spinz posted:

Good lord gunne sax

That's a phrase I haven't heard since maybe 7th grade, so 1980 maybe

Suddenly all the cool girls were wearing these frilly sundresses with elastic bodices with that brand name

Out of nowhere seemingly they were the in thing

But it was brief iirc

I was not alive for this but that is interesting to hear a first person account! I do know that to this day the brand has a loyal following and lots of collectors, including some instagram accounts that exclusively collect/deal gunne sax.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

kreeningsons posted:

a 1980s baltimore orioles starter jacket

nice

look at this. i have only ever seen 1 other nutmeg mills orioles shirt like this online and it doesn't have the paisley

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Brolander posted:

nice

look at this. i have only ever seen 1 other nutmeg mills orioles shirt like this online and it doesn't have the paisley

Amazing. Like, why not just add a random ornate paisley applique, mainstay of ballpark fashions, to this old rear end baseball team's shirt. Nutmeg mills has always stood out to me as the most bizarre of the more common sports merch brands.

There's an interesting piece on vice with the company history https://www.vice.com/en/article/d7m7ay/what-happened-to-nutmeg-mills-the-forgotten-story-of-a-sports-apparel-pioneer

I used to have a lot more Baltimore gear, including this :krad: skipjacks acid wash sweatshirt by nutmeg mills. But the skipjacks only date back to the late 1970s, so who is the team in the old timey hockey photo they used? We will never know. :iiam:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
yeah I actually ended up reading that article while researching this shirt. definitely put out some unique stuff!

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

kreeningsons posted:

I was not alive for this but that is interesting to hear a first person account! I do know that to this day the brand has a loyal following and lots of collectors, including some instagram accounts that exclusively collect/deal gunne sax.

I dug hard and deep but can NEVER find a Gunne Sax dress from their prairie revival/Edwardian revival designs that aren't exclusively sized for Teenage Na'vi from Avatar people. However McClintock did licence sewing paterns for Simplicity of which people also collect and use.

Young Edwardian/Victorian by Arpeja's offshoots are also vintage lables I hunt because they did some very Gunne Sax/Biba inspired things.

Speaking of The Vintage Fashion Guild Lable resources here has helped me out in many a thrift store. It's a good way to spot whats real from when/which brand diffusion/side project/Designer era and importantly if you're looking at something sus.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/mcclintock-jessica/

I like the literal potato sack lable :kimchi:

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

lt_kennedy posted:

I dug hard and deep but can NEVER find a Gunne Sax dress from their prairie revival/Edwardian revival designs that aren't exclusively sized for Teenage Na'vi from Avatar people. However McClintock did licence sewing paterns for Simplicity of which people also collect and use.

Young Edwardian/Victorian by Arpeja's offshoots are also vintage lables I hunt because they did some very Gunne Sax/Biba inspired things.

Speaking of The Vintage Fashion Guild Lable resources here has helped me out in many a thrift store. It's a good way to spot whats real from when/which brand diffusion/side project/Designer era and importantly if you're looking at something sus.

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/mcclintock-jessica/

I like the literal potato sack lable :kimchi:

Um yes they should absolutely bring back the sack label, the pinnacle of gunne labels

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

kreeningsons posted:

Um yes they should absolutely bring back the sack label, the pinnacle of gunne labels

Love it!

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I want to know the best way to halter mold growth in closets.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Zeluth posted:

Get anything moldy out of there and wash it. Wash the walls with diluted bleach if there’s mold on the walls. You might need a dehumidifier or at least better airflow if humidity is the issue. Maybe think about cedar lining the closet if it’s small or you want to spend some money. You can get 1/4” or 1/2” cedar plywood.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Zeluth posted:

Hmm, could you provide more details? The answer is going to depend a lot on the kinds of items that are being attacked by mold, how they are stored, and the source of the mold. :)

That said, some quick and general points, which would depend on the severity, nature or cause of the problem:

For mold on a closet itself, you need to go through mold remediation steps which would be removing and replacing any surfaces with mold, scrubbing the mold off things with bleach that you can't replace, and coating things with a mold/mildew primer like Kilz if you can.

For mold on clothing, washing with oxi-clean, or with chlorine bleach as a last resort, if it's compatible with the fabrics/dye. For leather, cleaning small problem areas with saddle soap and hoping for the best, and for serious problems or cherished items there are services you can send leather items to who will formulate concoctions specifically designed for your item in an attempt to restore it.

After they're cleaned, storing in a quarantined bag/container with desiccant, properly hanging and storing them with enough room to breathe, wearing them regularly and then promptly cleaning them before properly storing again can prevent future problems.

There's most likely an underlying problem with moisture that needs to be addressed, and the mold will come back if you don't address its root cause. So you would need to first ascertain the extent of the mold problem (is it coming from behind the drywall, lurking, waiting to attack again? or was it just introduced from a wet towel?) and next form a plan to address that, which could range from relocating the collection from somewhere where moisture can't be regulated, repairing building systems that are introducing moisture, or constructing a better storage system for long term storage.

12 Point Buck
Nov 11, 2021

please ban music

kreeningsons posted:

a 1980s issey miyake (A-net) windcoat

that coat is really beautiful! lots of good finds there.

i used to be pretty enthused about finding vintage westernwear, but (at least locally) it's gotten really hard to find genuine thrift treasures unless you're ultra dedicated to the hunt. living in a kinda "hip" place where vintage is permanently in vogue, it's like new vintage resellers pop up every month and the pool of what you can find without basically living in a Goodwill outlet gets smaller and smaller.

lately i just spend a lot of time scouring yahoo japan for random old stuff. a little time consuming, but fun!

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
I have a pair of bright red vintage hiking boots from the late 70s. They're really special to me because they're my dad's and he gave them to me when he realized we're the same shoe size.

12 Point Buck
Nov 11, 2021

please ban music

thelizzerd posted:

I have a pair of bright red vintage hiking boots from the late 70s. They're really special to me because they're my dad's and he gave them to me when he realized we're the same shoe size.
hand-me-downs honestly are something really special. i have some of my dad's stuff too and it's hard to picture myself throwing it away ever

really that's one of the things that i like about vintage clothes in general. i like thinking about all the other people who may have worn something that i own now, like wow, this pixies t-shirt has probably seen some poo poo

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Today's edition of things I want to own but won't buy:

Supposedly an authentic Heaven's Gate uniform. The provenance sounds ... shaky. And the auction is timing is a little too good to be true, ending exactly 14 days before Halloween. Wonder if it's the real thing.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174969027595?nma=true&si=Il6qIGHamxGFJGFZZ1Bm682vG6U%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

One of my favorite shops supposedly found supposedly found some Schwestern Flöge in Lancaster, PA. I didn't even recognize this label, supposedly a leading fashion house in Vienna in the early 20th century, the things I'm seeing in museum collections online are incredible. It goes to show that these areas of Pennsylvania were just dripping in wealth before the rust belt took over. Wonder what it is. My guess is an opera coat of sorts.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWEIYk6Ph5w/

thelizzerd posted:

Vintage items with a family history are the best. I still use my dad's backpack from the 70s that he took on the AT, smoky mountains, and countless other trips. Bright red sounds rad, I'm guessing those are one of the pairs that are pretty much full leather upper with a lug sole?

I have a thing for vintage hiking boots. I picked up a pair of 70s made in Italy Vasques a couple years ago, but they were made out of this incredibly stiff cowhide that gave me gnarly blisters. They felt closer to a mountaineering boot than a hiking boot. I got a pair of 80s New Balance Raniers for a friend and they are perfect -- full grain leather upper, Vibram sole, leather lined, but still light and flexible enough for light duty. I need a pair in my size.

Perfection:

12 Point Buck posted:

that coat is really beautiful! lots of good finds there.

i used to be pretty enthused about finding vintage westernwear, but (at least locally) it's gotten really hard to find genuine thrift treasures unless you're ultra dedicated to the hunt. living in a kinda "hip" place where vintage is permanently in vogue, it's like new vintage resellers pop up every month and the pool of what you can find without basically living in a Goodwill outlet gets smaller and smaller.

lately i just spend a lot of time scouring yahoo japan for random old stuff. a little time consuming, but fun!

Let me tell you, it's rough out there. 2020 really changed the landscape of sourcing. There's still good stuff waiting to be found, in places that are one step farther than the last person will go. And there's always deals to be had on great vintage that isn't all that popular yet, so the silver lining is that the scarcity can force me to explore those new directions with my wardrobe that I wouldn't otherwise. I just finished a big shopping trip that used to get me a trunk full of stuff, but this time it was only a handful. I'll post a haul pic later on.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I find that rural areas are where the gold is these days. Not clothing related but I found Voodoo 3 TV tuner graphics card NIB sealed for $3.99 at a small town thrift store recently. Also, got a couple Sony Video Walkmans that play camcorder tapes for $3.99 each.

Even something simple like VCRs are selling for peanuts in the sticks because they don't know that they're desirable again.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

I found 3 of this same shirt at a GW outlet. I constantly get people asking if I work for Mercedes. I love German cars and have had several BMWs and a VW but never a Mercedes yet.

Vintage anti-Walmart t-shirt.

Vintage Portland Trailblazers t-shirt. I have two of these.

Estate sale find. It looks vintage but I can't find an exact match for the dealership.

Badass H&K t-shirt. I haven't found another one like it online.

Very ugly sweater. I've seen that people actually pay decent money for these. I'll be stoked the day that I actually find a Coogi.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Estate sale find. It looks vintage but I can't find an exact match for the dealership.

You've definitely got a 1970s car dealer tee there.

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Vintage anti-Walmart t-shirt.

This, but also, so much of the stuff I collect is the cheap plastic crap of yesteryear :tbear:

Oh Don Piano
Nov 4, 2009
Where are all the jncos being stored? There were millions of teens wearing them, they didn't just all magically disappear when people stopped wearing them.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Oh Don Piano posted:

Where are all the jncos being stored? There were millions of teens wearing them, they didn't just all magically disappear when people stopped wearing them.

Imagining a village in Cameroon where everyone wears JNCOs

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Oh Don Piano posted:

sincerely, the ones with extremely sick embroidered dragons, 8 balls, jesters or skulls, are all over ebay and depop these days, and most highly sought after ...

a trend i was not ready for, but should have expected if i wasn't so naive

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Lots of original jncos got trashed back in the day because they dragged on the ground.

I had a pair of "five oh" khakis with 50" openings. They'd be worth a ton of money today but I let them fall by the wayside because they got really hosed up and I never thought they'd be valuable.

thelizzerd
Nov 12, 2021
I saw a few pairs of JNCOs at a thrift store a few years ago. I think the lack of JNCOs and other men's fashion is men are more likely to just throw away their clothing rather than selling it or donating it than women are. Additionally, this is due to men wearing their clothing until it is worn out to the point that no thrift store would want it. Trends in men's clothing stick along longer than trends in women's clothing which contributes to not feeling the need to get rid of clothing when they're "outdated".

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
new vintage tee smell

is a wonderful smell

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Brolander posted:

new vintage tee smell

is a wonderful smell

deadstock tee smell? somehow the smell gets stronger with age. especially ones with black dyes.

i just picked one up the other week ... i will post soon

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

lt_kennedy posted:

I dug hard and deep but can NEVER find a Gunne Sax dress from their prairie revival/Edwardian revival designs that aren't exclusively sized for Teenage Na'vi from Avatar people.
That was the problem back in the day, too. They were really shooting for the prom market, and a lot of their stuff was only available in the teen sizes.

Even worse, though, was Laura Ashley. Better slice off your tits and keep them in the armoire, because they sure aren't gonna fit into that dress. I had one I loved and could wear, but that was because I was anorexic at the time. (Thanks, Prozac!)

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

Arsenic Lupin posted:

That was the problem back in the day, too. They were really shooting for the prom market, and a lot of their stuff was only available in the teen sizes.

Even worse, though, was Laura Ashley. Better slice off your tits and keep them in the armoire, because they sure aren't gonna fit into that dress. I had one I loved and could wear, but that was because I was anorexic at the time. (Thanks, Prozac!)

Yup they predominately did party wear and prom dressss for non adult sized people. Laura Ashley was more forgiving sizing wise depending on era and where it was made. This beauty cost me 70 Australian dollerydoos but its a dream dress and it fits like a large 12 to small 14

Not the best worn picture but im like 4 11 and this is a tea length frock on me lmao

These styles are beginner friendly and not too pricey for vintage sewing patterns in modern tiddy friendlier sizing, especially for Laura Ashley.

I feel you on the boob front - I lucked out on socialized Aussie healthcare getting a reduction (it was that or being disabled from back pain) and being a enby transman the dumb bitch juice that is testosterone moving thigh and hip fat off to where it belongs. My fat boy guts. I used to fit a 60 cm waist at my thinnest pre-hrt, not worth it when I had to wear like size 14/16 blouses that draped like tents.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

this is great and i always support accessorizing with baskets

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

lt_kennedy posted:

Yup they predominately did party wear and prom dressss for non adult sized people. Laura Ashley was more forgiving sizing wise depending on era and where it was made. This beauty cost me 70 Australian dollerydoos but its a dream dress and it fits like a large 12 to small 14

Not the best worn picture but im like 4 11 and this is a tea length frock on me lmao

These styles are beginner friendly and not too pricey for vintage sewing patterns in modern tiddy friendlier sizing, especially for Laura Ashley.

I feel you on the boob front - I lucked out on socialized Aussie healthcare getting a reduction (it was that or being disabled from back pain) and being a enby transman the dumb bitch juice that is testosterone moving thigh and hip fat off to where it belongs. My fat boy guts. I used to fit a 60 cm waist at my thinnest pre-hrt, not worth it when I had to wear like size 14/16 blouses that draped like tents.
(A) I would kill for that dress and (B) I love your style.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

my most recent acquisitions are from the local hospital donations sale.

This Christian Dior overcoat in pea soup green wool for a friend. Most dior overcoats bore me, but this was a special color, much richer in person or in bright natural light, and a cool cut. Made in USA/slouchy fit/1980s or so.

A deadstock 90s orioles t shirt with puffy paint graphics. I really want a cal ripken shirt with the biggest image of his head possible, but this will have to do in the meantime, and supporting the hospital by buying it isn't the worst thing.

bonus housewares: some extremely heavy solid art glass block Blenko bookends circa 1960s which i have been specifically looking for!

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

kreeningsons posted:

this is great and i always support accessorizing with baskets

It's my fave thing to take to the farmer's market and bought at a thrift store for 7 bucks, everyone compliments it.

lt_kennedy fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race

kreeningsons posted:

my most recent acquisitions are from the local hospital donations sale.

This Christian Dior overcoat in pea soup green wool for a friend. Most dior overcoats bore me, but this was a special color, much richer in person or in bright natural light, and a cool cut. Made in USA/slouchy fit/1980s or so.

A deadstock 90s orioles t shirt with puffy paint graphics. I really want a cal ripken shirt with the biggest image of his head possible, but this will have to do in the meantime, and supporting the hospital by buying it isn't the worst thing.

bonus housewares: some extremely heavy solid art glass block Blenko bookends circa 1960s which i have been specifically looking for!

That over coat is smart and those book ends are amazing!!!