Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Coldrice made it onto CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/entertainment/2022/01/21/game-on-covid-simulator.cnn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Ha ha beat me to it! What a crazy world this is

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 21, 2022

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
the secureclick in the background :golfclap:

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Video caught on local news by a goon

Plinkey posted:

Lol made the local news

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Holy poo poo congrats!

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Same Great Paste posted:

Holy poo poo congrats!

Thanks!

And its still messing with my brain. Its on TV. Like WTF

or

https://twitter.com/kari07_tacoma/status/1485050564882935815?s=20

I think its been playing as fluff piece filler, so its trickling in all over the place

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's honestly hilarious. Enjoy your curiosity revenue, that's so much free advertising.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

dogstile posted:

That's honestly hilarious. Enjoy your curiosity revenue, that's so much free advertising.

Its true! BUT the guy who did the video didn't include any mention of my steam or itch.io page :(

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

COVID SIMULATOR is now live on steam!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1871620/Covid_Simulator/

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Bought this right away, great job!

A comment - it doesn't seem to respect my choices for sound levels, the music level seems to creep back up until I go back in and wiggle the slider even if it's at 4%.

A couple of requests/questions. I don't know if you're making any updates or changes but just some thoughts. If I missed these options sorry!

-Any way you can all us to select what type of mask to use for a mask mandate?
-For vax requirements, you're not simulating boosters or any of that right? I'm assuming the covid mutations are taking the place of that.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Definitely something I can get in there :)

And yes it’s single vax / no booster. The timescale of the game, even when sped up, would take hours otherwise

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Grabbed it on Steam - already bought it via itch.io i believe, but want to double dip to support.
Coldrice, if you're willing, please share your experience with the Steam launch here as I think many of us will find it interesting to hear about your experience and the benefits/headaches you encounter.
I really hope this takes off, and creates a new career for you.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Kragger99 posted:

Grabbed it on Steam - already bought it via itch.io i believe, but want to double dip to support.
Coldrice, if you're willing, please share your experience with the Steam launch here as I think many of us will find it interesting to hear about your experience and the benefits/headaches you encounter.
I really hope this takes off, and creates a new career for you.

Thank you! And I will Definitely do a write up.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Grabbed it.

The UI seems broken on an ultra-wide monitor, I can't see the tops or bottoms of menus. This is on 3440x1440

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Grabbed it.

The UI seems broken on an ultra-wide monitor, I can't see the tops or bottoms of menus. This is on 3440x1440

I'll see what I can do to remedy that quickly :)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
cross posting. good job on getting it on a trending list

BobTheJanitor posted:

Just noticed Covid Simulator popped up on Steam today. Isn't that the same one a goon was working on? If so, good on them for getting it on Steam and popular enough to show up in the trending section.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

fosborb posted:

cross posting. good job on getting it on a trending list

That was very nice. I'm not really bitter about the weirdness that happened in D&D and mostly just poking fun. That is a "debate" forum and probs not the best place for a this simulator game tho

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Any tools in the work to let us better influence the work place? Mass firing employees who refuse to wear masks, or publicly shaming those who do or something similar.

Right now the work place instantly goes one way or the other and then never changes.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

if you click the walls you can add posters, but I have a few more ideas that were on the "ideas" list that just didn't get implemented. We'll see what the future brings :)

Mothmansplainer
Apr 2, 2020
Congrats on the Steam launch! It's really impressive to watch this thing run for awhile. Also, the pixel art is really great!

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
This has come such a long way from v2c. It still works p. much flawlessly in Linux w/both lutris and proton by the way.

I'm not sure if this has sold enough to be worth continuing on or if you wanna lean more into the sim side or the game side, but it occurred to me one potential path is to add interventions.

Things like RAT / PCR testing sending people home if they're sick but costing $$. Being able to set that schedule.
Quarantines and quarantine periods.
Workplace Vaccine mandates. Different levels of vaccine/mandate.
Ventilation levels. Adding a corsi cube to a room, having the eating area be a field outside. That kinda miasma persistence effect.
Mask mandate levels as I think someone already said.

That might up the controversy level and a lot of these in concert would let you run the game w/omicron at the current 200x speed for a truly absurd amount of time though.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

One think I notice about the game options is that there's arrows at the sides of the slider bars, but you can't actually click them to go left/right. Also variant type should probably be a dropdown.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Great ideas guys :)

Covid Simulator peaked at about 1300 units sold, and has pretty much halted and run its course. Thank you to all the goons who believed it in and helped it get so far!

Coldrice fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 26, 2022

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!
Congratulations on the launch, coldrice!

:haw:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Bug report: I have to move my cursor off buttons and back on before I can successfully click them again.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Coldrice, don't moderate the steam forum. That way lies madness.

Shut it down if you can. Troll it or ignore it if you can't.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bug report: I have to move my cursor off buttons and back on before I can successfully click them again.

I’ll get on it!

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
I heard there's a Denny's Easter egg or secret area, c/d?

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

droll posted:

I heard there's a Denny's Easter egg or secret area, c/d?

Shhhh goon secret

If you click the top left corner (its about a 2 pixel x 2 pixel square) during the title screen you get a bonus screen

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007
In my horrific abuses of tiny pixel people, I found a bug. If you pick up and place an employee into a one square room, it'll soft-lock the game.

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Mutant Headcrab posted:

In my horrific abuses of tiny pixel people, I found a bug. If you pick up and place an employee into a one square room, it'll soft-lock the game.

Oh hm, the poor character is probably infinitely trying to find a way out! I'll have to make a fix for that too :p

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Quick covid sim patch went out, nothing major:

-Fixed a bug causing a crash on startup
-Fixed a bug with some non-US computers and the way files are formatted
-Ultrawide monitors should display properly now
-you can set the game in windowed mode now if you'd like (custom resolution coming soon though)
-Added "long covid" tracking on the stat bar (this is ANY long term covid symptom which will last beyond the infection itself. Most will eventually recover, some wont)
-fixed some typos
-You can now use symbols when naming characters
-the hidden "utube" screen now has two lines of text input vs 1

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

The grand total of units sold by Covid Simulator in its launch week is... 2000 units! This is pretty typical for most games on steam these days, and its not likely to get much higher. The stream was nice, it got me about 30 more downloads out of 28,000 viewers - and that too is about what to expect if there are any future vids/articles featuring the game. It's definitely been a wild ride, but barring some kind of angel investment this is pretty much the end of the rapid/constant Covid Simulator updates. I'm going to keep adding the left over mechanics that are half implemented (and cut before launch) as well as bug fixes that have popped up, but sadly I need to move on to other things which generate income.

Anyways, today I DO have a new COVID SIMULATOR update!

This was a feature that was requested a LOT during development, and had to be cut just before launch. CUSTOM COVID STRAINS. I have set a few variables to begin with to see how it goes, but I can get even more sliders/fine tuned with the specifics if there is enough request. This also means that the "mutate covid" button actually makes a totally random Covid strain which might be more or less dangerous than you currently have in game.

I also added the ability to select what kind of masks you start with. Random, or all one type.

Anyways, the update log is available at https://coldrice.itch.io/covid-simulator/devlog/341100/version-21-is-ready-to-play

and you can buy covid simulator at https://store.steampowered.com/app/1871620/Covid_Simulator/

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Is there a way to, like, opt out of the sale price

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

you deserve more than $3 for this

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Potato Salad posted:

you deserve more than $3 for this

Buy multiple copies and gift them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Potato Salad posted:

Is there a way to, like, opt out of the sale price

Buy it on Itch.io, then you can pay whatever price you want!