Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome back! I plan to play the new league Forbidden Sanctum later today and post about it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkHHkmMJiJQ

This league they made a huge number of changes to Hexes so I will be doing my signature Hexblast build! Hexblast is the best skill in the game and I'm glad people are starting to realize that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZIbM04Ksuw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=attfhQWmVNA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Forbidden Sanctum League 1

Ok I have very mixed feelings about this new system. I think GGG is loving up again but they have something with the potential to be good. You find these portals on every map which teleport you to the Forbidden Sanctum and give you one room credit. You can run the room or save it for later (you can save 8 room credits). Its really dumb to take yourself out of the map to do one room so you should always save the credits up and use them all at once. You navigate through this dungeon picking different rooms with different modifiers. From what I can tell most of the modifiers interact with the "resolve" mechanic which is a persistent health bar which follows you through the sanctum. You need to dodge very good in this league or the non-regenerating health bar will kick you out of the run. This makes the sanctum only good for certain builds (like my build, cold Hexblast is actually particularly well suited for this)

Here is where the problem lies. See those "treasure rewards"? Those must be like heist treasure boxes right? ahahahahahha NO! These boxes are filled with useless coins which are only good in the sanctum. There is a new NPC called Divinia who will sell you relics which give you resolve modifiers, and these weak sauce effects for your hard earned gold points. She does not sell chaos orbs or unique items or anything like that at all :( There are also fountains which you have to pay? They recover some of your resolve

So what are my thoughts on this new system? It suuuuuccckkkkksss! There are no actual rewards for doing the sanctum! The minor rewards you get along the way are extremely minor, like worse than opening a strongbox. And after beating the entire floor, a task which took me longer than completing an entire Lake of Kalandra what is my reward? A single rare Jewel.
:negative:

Maybe the rewards are better in maps, but as it stands I'm just skipping the sanctum. Its a waste of time and my build is perfectly suited for it. I'll post about the Hex changes next, which I am enjoying.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Dec 10, 2022

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I need to post more about how annoyed I am with this league mechanic. It feels like the person designing the actual gameplay of the sanctums, and also the art/music people were on the ball. Everything about the sanctum is really cool looking, and the rooms are actually fun and challenging to do! But the "rogue-like" portion of the Sanctum feels like it was designed over a weekend by a dev who has 10 other things on their mind.

The boons are just awful and are completely uncreative. Everything is some bonus to gold pieces or resolve. There aren't any crazy powerful abilities like you are actually playing Hades. Like I donno "+50% move speed" or "Double projectiles" or "+50% more minions" that kind of stuff! Or even just add support gems, for example "all abilities effected by Barrage Support". That's like 180 boons I just designed right there off the top of my head, each of which is more interesting than "+200 max resolve" or "20% extra stink coins". What the hell GGG why did you put so much effort into making this system and fail to finish it :argh:

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 10, 2022

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Starting playing again after reading this thread, just flying by the seat of my pants build-wise but it's decently fun. Good to know that the Sanctums are a waste of time and I can start ignoring them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ZCKaiser posted:

Starting playing again after reading this thread, just flying by the seat of my pants build-wise but it's decently fun. Good to know that the Sanctums are a waste of time and I can start ignoring them.

Yeh, this mechanic needs some major work and I hope GGG puts the work in. But right now it's a total waste of time. Doing the sanctums takes way too much time to be worth it. You would make a lot more loot doing heiests or just normal maps. Which is a shame, because I really enjoy it and think it's fun to play! I hope GGG fix this so they don't have to scrap this whole system, it obviously has a lot of work put into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Forbidden Sanctum League 2
In this post I will outline my build for this league. As I said earlier I am going with a hex build, but after some experimenting I found Bane/Hexblast wasn't as good as I was expecting for freezing everything. So I decided to pivot in another direction and go with Bane & Blight/Essence Drain with multi-totem support. Bane allows me to apply a huge number of curses (combined with the uniques I purchased, I'll outline later). Bane also does great damage to a huge area. But for bosses and tough enemies it's often too slow on its own. Blight puts out a cloud of purple "gently caress you" energy which slows down everything in range and fucks them up. Essence Drain is like a poisoned snipers nest, shooting out little blasts of energy which do Chaos Damage over Time (everything in this build does Chaos Damage over Time, like decay damage). With multi-totem support this allows me to make any combination of three totems, so three Blight or Three Essence Drain or 1 Blight 2 Essence Drain, etc. This is actually an interesting strategic decision, considering the mix of monsters I am fighting. A big crowd of monsters is better managed with Blight, and when you have Blight totems down its very hard for the monsters to even reach you! This is a very good build for doing Forbidden Sanctum, if it was worth doing!

For this build I have invested in a few cheap uniques. First is the Cane of Unraveling which is just perfect for everything I'm trying to do. Second The vixens Entrapment and Windscream Boots allow me to have two additional curses. The boots also give a big boost to my Bane area of effect, which makes clearing trash mobs much easier when combined with Profane Bloom. The passive tree gives me a third bonus curse bringing me up to 4 total. I am using Temporal Chains + Enfeeble + Despair with Punishment as an Aura. I would have a different setup but I'm limited by sockets right now (I'm only on act 9) :shrug:

This is my passive tree so far. It's a bit messed up from my experiments, but I'm getting it slowly in shape. I of course took Profane Bloom first.

Also please enjoy my Divinia fan art. I will post more later. As I master her form I should be able to make better ones!

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 13, 2022