Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
My brother wouldn't stfu about it being fake. It was like christ, JUST LET ME WATCH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
I don't think I ever thought it was "real". The funny thing is that I thought it was more fake than it actually is. As in, I thought none of the moves hurt. The typical "they know how to land" stuff.

I guess I just assumed it was like movies or other TV shows.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

My mom told me within minutes of me watching

It’s this.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Watching an old Coliseum video that featured a cage match between Ultimate Warrior and Macho Man that was spot for spot nearly identical to the Ultimate Warrior/Sgt. Slaughter cage match I had seen at my first live wrestling event a WWF house show. They even had the same finish where Slaughter/Macho are about to win by climbing out of the cage but at the last second Warrior grabs them and is slowly trying to pull them back into the cage until Sherri hits Warrior with her loaded purse causing him to drop Macho/Slaughter and losing the match. Then after the match Warrior gets a bit of payback by ripping off Sherri's dress and humiliating her.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My brother wanted to sign up for the school's wrestling team when he was in 4th grade (I was in 6th). I was pretty sure wrestling was fake, in my head they were actually trying to beat each other but "holding back" so they didn't kill each other. My brother 100% thought wrestling was real and thought he'd join the wrestling team, paint his face, and start hitting kids with steel chairs to win.

My dad took him to the open tryout and, on the drive in, explained that wrestling was not real at all and that he was going to see a much different type of wrestling when they got there. My brother flipped out at the wrestling tryout and hated it, then came home and told me that wrestling was fake and "Real wrestling" was stupid.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
Got told by my father within minutes of watching my first episode of Superstars. The twist was that he'd actually been a driver for wrestlers in the 60s (there was photographic evidence too). He used to tell me ridiculous stories about how they pulled off their stunts to make them seem real - blood capsules, pulled punches, moves that were never meant to connect, all that stuff. So when I saw things like Outlaw Ron Bass carving up Brutus Beefcake's forehead with his spurs (despite the big X across the screen), or Harley Race breaking an actual table with a missed crossbody, or Bret Hart hitting the turnbuckle so hard you could see the wind getting knocked out of him, I just figured everything my dad had said was bullshit. So I went backwards, started out thinking it was fake and ended up believing it was real for longer than I'd like to admit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
My dad told me about "blood capsules", as well

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Blood capsules are great because it sounds so ludicrous but way more believable than believing wrestlers let their opponent cut them with Razor Blades in a pre-determined fight.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

my dad wrestled in college and hates pro wrestling so it was never a mystery for me

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I figured it out pretty early. I started watching wrestling when I was like 9 or 10 years old and I would use my parents bed as a pretend wrestling ring and do wrestling moves on my stuffed animals. One day I thought "if I really tried to bodyslam or piledriver one of my human friends on the playground at school it would definitely kill them or paralyze them" and that was pretty much it.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

also, i was that kid who told the other kids it was fake. then id wrestle them for real to show them what it was like and get in trouble.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Zombie Lemur posted:

I don't think I ever thought it was "real". The funny thing is that I thought it was more fake than it actually is. As in, I thought none of the moves hurt. The typical "they know how to land" stuff.

I guess I just assumed it was like movies or other TV shows.

I actually have encountered people who go too far the other way on this. Like I talked to someone once who refused to believe the ring mat wasn't soft like a trampoline, until I showed him a video of ring construction showing the metal frame and wood slats.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Mulaney Power Move posted:

also, i was that kid who told the other kids it was fake. then id wrestle them for real to show them what it was like and get in trouble.

This guy has suplexed a kid or two

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Figured out it was fake as a kid when I tried to do an Irish whip to a friend of mine, expecting him to go running. He didn't.

Actually, maybe I didn't do it right.

A Fancy Hat posted:

My brother wanted to sign up for the school's wrestling team when he was in 4th grade (I was in 6th). I was pretty sure wrestling was fake, in my head they were actually trying to beat each other but "holding back" so they didn't kill each other. My brother 100% thought wrestling was real and thought he'd join the wrestling team, paint his face, and start hitting kids with steel chairs to win.

My dad took him to the open tryout and, on the drive in, explained that wrestling was not real at all and that he was going to see a much different type of wrestling when they got there. My brother flipped out at the wrestling tryout and hated it, then came home and told me that wrestling was fake and "Real wrestling" was stupid.

Shame, your brother could have gone on to become a double-m a star, and transitioned into rasslin'.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
if wrestling is fake than explain Brawl For All

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was I dunno like 14 or something and playing with some mates, and we decided to wrestle.

One of the older kids laid into one of the younger kids there and the kid went down grabbing his face thrashing in pain.

I said "oh no we are going to get in so much trouble!" and the other kids said "no, he's fine, it's wrestling" and the young kid stopped selling his face and stood up, uninjured

They smartened me up to the business. I was such a mark.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

When I was a small child in the 80s my cousins and uncles were watching what I later figured out was a War Games match at Thanksgiving and my dad grumbled to me about it being fake bullshit. But also my cousins were openly talking about blading, so they probably knew it was fake too. I didn't actually get in to wrestling until about 10 years later and for a while actually thought it was faker than it really was.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

El Gallinero Gros posted:

This guy has suplexed a kid or two

they used to call me "terra ryzing"

Skulker
Jan 27, 2021

Duuuuuude!
My grandfather was a shady type who worked in pro wrestling in his younger years, and it was fairly common to go round to visit and find Fit Finley, Johnny Saint or Andy Robin having a cup of tea. So I never thought wrestling was real. But I was a insufferable smark before smarks were a thing, and when other kids on the playground were engaged in endless WHO BETTER: Ultimate Warrior or Hulk Hogan blood feuds I'd be declaring both of them garbage and extolling the virtues of Ric Flair.

Hoo boy, did my grandfather hate Hulk Hogan.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Oct 19, 2021 at 6:12 PM you son of a bitch.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

when I realized as a kid that wrestlers could take an hour long beating and have no visible effects but my father's punches left bruises each time

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
Nikolai Volkoff mentioned it to my uncles over supper in regards to a face or something and I overheard it.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I think probably every single adult in Massachusetts tripped over their dick running to tell six year old me that it was fake

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

the very first time i watched wrestling my dad immediately said to me "you know this is fake, right?" honestly didn't have time to give it any thought before that but i didn't want to look like a stupid little kid so i just responded with "yeah, dad, of course"

i was also one of those kids who went too far in the other direction in that i didn't think people actually got hurt doing it until i was a teenager

Thauros fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 25, 2021

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
I went to the Wikipedia page on pro wrestling where it said that professional wrestling is a form of performing art involving scripted wrestling matches whose progress and outcome are planned in advance, typically between performers with established character roles.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Started watching wrestling when I was like three or four when my cousin would babysit me on Saturday nights, and I think he let me know the score. I think he was just making sure I wouldn't kill some other kid. Also, I'd play wrestle with my older cousins, and being the smallest, they'd always want to do the moves on me. So, I learned how the moves could be done without hurting someone.

As long as I can remember, I was always the one in the neighborhood teaching the other kids how to not injure each other, and take bumps. The backyard wrestling craze killed my love of performing, because no matter what you told some of those people, they really just wanted to beat the poo poo out of someone.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Sgt Slaughter became an Iraqi sympathizer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
I remember reading "Mankind wins world title tonight on raw" on WWF's own website, I don't know if that's correct or not, maybe some other site but then he did win that night, and that's when I knew. And then I found out about Raw being taped early sometimes.

I was a dumb kid, I thought gangrel was going to bite someone and drink their blood in the ring, now I kinda wish that happened in a storyline.