Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am satisfied with all the judgments. JBG was casted much differently in the DVD and I liked how he was characterized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Just a little bonus video showing off all the Horror Shows. I didn't see a high-quality video of them on YouTube so I thought it might be of interest to some folks.

There actually are technically more than this, though. Rarely, you can get two characters (maybe even more?) to "catch" you at the same time, and they'll do their Horror Shows together, one after the other. There's nothing unique about the shows themselves, so it's more of a "get double-hosed" kinda outcome, but I couldn't even get them to happen so I don't know how much of a danger they really are.

TapamN
Jan 10, 2008
I found something interesting. Apparently, there's a GHS mobile game, and it seems to use the original polygon models from the show. If anyone wants to do something with them, you can get them from Models Resource.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I liked Bonsai Kabuki, but he got taken out by Katherine before he did his thing.
The ending was based around the second guest, with the mouse family burning alive and into skeletons and they survived it.

The third part was Gregory being on a train and a cameo by the first guest.
The fourth was mostly centered around Katherine and her hospital.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

A long, LONG time coming, I have not only finally completed Gregory Horror Show, but also did a full LP of it. Feels good to check off one of my abandoned projects as no longer being abandoned.

I don't know if this thread is done or not, just yet. I'm working on one last thing and waiting to see what will come of that, probably after the holidays.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
I too am a happy boy now that you've finally finished the LP. Thanks for coming back and doing this.
Have a happy holidays jamesman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
So here's the story.

Months back, I reached out to Dave Pettitt, English voice of Gregory. I thought it would be neat to be able to ask him some questions and get some insight on his work as a vocal actor, and his work doing the voice of Gregory. He was open to it, but then I didn't hear back from him after I responded with a few questions. I followed up some months later, and he apologized and answered the questions for me. I tried my luck and followed-up with another e-mail to ask some more questions to round things out, but that e-mail has remained unanswered. I get that he's busy and things can get lost in the shuffle, especially some e-mail from some random idiot, so I don't hold it against him. I'm just sorry I'm not able to provide you guys with what I was hoping to offer.

quote:

- Correct me if I'm wrong, but my assumption would be that, given the show's obscure nature, you weren't familiar with it prior to your work on these projects. Do you recall being given any materials or doing any of your own research to better prepare you?

Other than seeing bits and pieces of the original recording, dubbing actors aren't necessarily given much in the way of references unless a director is going or something really specific. That's so they have the opportunity to actually act and develop a character in their own voice and style.

- Along the same lines, I found your work as Gregory to be quite memorable, bringing so much to the character that I felt was uniquely your own. How did you decide on your performance? Were you given any direction on what was wanted by the studio, or were you given a certain degree of freedom with how you approached the character?

It's a real collaboration. The director has more experience with the original voice and the direction the show originally took. For the first few episodes they work as a team to define the character's attributes and quirks (and Gregory is FULL of quirks). Afterwards, there's a lot of experimenting with fun ideas, as long as they don't take away from the concept the creator had in mind.

- Did you have any communication with the Japanese studio originally responsible for the show, or the developers responsible for the game?

We weren't in communication at all. You know Naomi Iwata better than I do at this point. I'm not sure if he even had a part in casting.

- I noticed that the game and show share many of the same voice actors, but there are some differences in casting. I also believe that the video game received its localization in late 2003, and the DVDs received their localization the following year. Do you remember how it came about that you were brought on for both projects?

Blue Water Studio / Chinook Animation did thorough casting for the roles in GHS and the game, holding a few days of auditions to bring in a number of actors to try out for these roles. It's tough when an actor maybe moves away or isn't available when the next project in the series comes up. I can only think that's why some of the actors aren't the same, because they were all fantastic. It certainly wasn't a matter of - we didn't like this actor's performance, let's recast them. Another possibility is that the actor retired from the industry, or from certain roles in the industry. For example in my career for example, I voiced Master Asia in the G Gundam series. A few years later I also did G Gundam's first game. But that performance took a huge toll on my voice. All the fighting and action scenes left my voice damaged for a few weeks. I decided if I wanted to keep voice acting, I couldn't take on any more heavy duty fighting rolls and I haven't done any since then.

At the same time I was reaching out to Dave, I hired a translator to help me in reaching out to Naomi Iwata, creator of Gregory Horror Show. Again, they were very open to me asking them some questions, and I continued to work with the translator for the correspondence. But things have sadly fallen apart, as the translator has continued to work very slowly or not at all on what I need, dragging the correspondence out for longer than I'm really comfortable with, and I'm too embarrassed to continue. All I can offer is this rough translation of Iwata's answers.

quote:

- I’d like to start off talking about your history as an artist and creator. What drew your interest to doing that kind of work? When growing up, was art a big part of your life since childhood, or would this be something you’d discover a love for later on?

My house used to be a bookstore, so I read a lot. I think it was especially the comic books that got me hooked.

- Correct me if I’m wrong, but the research I was able to do pointed me to Pecola being your first big project, starting out as a series of books before being adapted into a television series. From there, you would go on to create, or be involved with, many other television projects. Was this a path you expected to take with your work as an artist?

No, I did not. I got into the world of CG animation by a series of coincidences.

- Many of your character designs feature a unique papercraft style, and I was curious to know what inspired you to develop this particular approach. Was papercraft something you have always had a fondness for?

It all started when I created a digital picture book on CD-ROM of Pecola. It was a digital work that combined a story with paper crafts. Printers have become widespread in homes, and I thought that children would enjoy making cartoon characters if they could easily make them at home. The reason for the cube-shaped characters is that they can be reproduced in paper craft in exactly the same form as in the video.

- What are your influences when it comes to creating? Particularly, what influences went into creating Gregory Horror Show? I’ve personally compared it to classic American properties like The Addams Family or The Munsters – stories and characters based around horror themes, but with a more comedic take – and wondered if you would agree with those comparisons.

The Addams Family and The Twilight Zone influenced me. Later, I think there is also the influence of games like Resident Evil and King's Field.

- Having now played the PlayStation 2 game of Gregory Horror Show, I really felt that the spirit of the show was very well captured in the game. What were your thoughts on the game, and how much were you involved in the development process? Would you like to see more games made off of the show? I am aware that in Japan, there is currently a mobile game called Lost Qualia available. Any plans to bring that to other countries?

We talked a lot about the setting of the world. Since the development team was from the Resident Evil team, we were more than a little intimidated. We have no plans to distribute Lost Qualia outside of Japan.

- A while back, you made mention and showed some images from a new Gregory Horror Show project, which you called “Mystery Holiday.” But since that initial tease, things have remained quiet about the future of Gregory Horror Show. Is there any news you might be able to share with us regarding Mystery Holiday, or any other future projects involving Gregory Horror Show?

Mystery Holiday is Gregory's animated project for children. We are working hard to create a fun, character-driven animated film.

- Like myself, I’ve found that many other fans of Gregory Horror Show in America and Europe are of an older audience. What is it about the series that you feel appeals to adults? Is this something you’ve also found to occur in Japan? Was this something you expected when creating the show?

The age of the fans is high in Japan, but there are also surprisingly many middle and high school girls who are fans of the series. They like the creepy-cute characters that we have in Japan.

- Some other fans wanted me to ask you about a character that never made it into the show. You’ve shared information on such characters in the past, but this particular one was never addressed, to my knowledge. It was a character dressed in army gear and wearing what appears to be a gas mask. Do you have any insight you could share on who this character was supposed to be?

The character was supposed to be a gas guzzler who would make people laugh and make the scene more interesting, but we had to reject him because of the Iraqi crisis.
(Note: My understanding of the translations is the character would use gas on the other characters to cause them to go into fits. You can see why they would opt not to use the character.)

- Finally, is there a message that you would like to be able to share with international fans of Gregory Horror Show and your other works?

We are glad you care about The Gregory Horror Show. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of Gregory work would you like to see? 

I am thinking of developing characters for Mystery Holiday that are not cubed. What do you think?

I would appreciate your help and reference.

I was really hoping I'd be able to do something more with all of this and offer some more information and insight by doing these Q&A's, but things just haven't been moving forward how I'd hoped. I'm sorry to end this thread on such a wet fart, but hopefully what is there is at least something interesting.