Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Enkidu was a real G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Enkidu was a real G.

Enkidu hosed a sex worker and got drunk and that made him a civilized man

Edit: Red Harvest by Dashiell Hammett is older than your grandpa and whips rear end

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Talkc posted:

Gotta go for Jules Verne for my personal fave which is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It feels so much like youre being drawn in for this grand journey into the world abroad, like someone telling you about this amazing vacation, where things go a little tilt.

Also one of the few funny SNL sketches i ever remember was when Kelsey Grammar hosted in the nineties and it was a version of 20,000 leagues and the general bit of the comedy was no one understood that leagues are not a measurement of depth.

a league is around 3.5 miles so 20,000 leagues would be 70,000 miles or 10 times the entire diameter of the earth.

Sounds like Mr Jules Verne needs to take a science class

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i likw that one kafka short story where franz or whoever wakes up and he's jeff goldblum but he still has to go to his lovely insurance job or whatever. its total horseshit jeff goldblun was in independence day

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

if the scarlett letter stood for "assplay" i doubt that lady would have been exiled

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've slowly been working my way thru Typee. I found a nice 3-in-1 hardcover at a thrift store that also has Omoo and Mardi. I doubt I'll be reading those other two anytime soon. I'm halfway through Typee and it already feels repetitive.

Moby Dick does rule and I look forward to revisiting it sometime in the next few years.

Also, this past summer I hiked the Monument Mountain in MA, it was incredibly beautiful.

quote:

On August 5, 1850, Nathaniel Hawthorne and Herman Melville enjoyed a well-chronicled picnic hike up Monument Mountain. A thunderstorm forced them to seek refuge in a cave where a lengthy and vigorous discussion ensued, inspiring powerful ideas for Melville’s new book, Moby-Dick, which he dedicated to Hawthorne.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

a league is around 3.5 miles so 20,000 leagues would be 70,000 miles or 10 times the entire diameter of the earth.

Sounds like Mr Jules Verne needs to take a science class

It's almost like the title of the book is 20000 leagues, under the sea

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Anyone here read War and Peace?

It's so loving good. And it's not a difficult read at all once you get past all the Russian names, people just find it intimidating cause it being super long is basically a meme.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Revins posted:

I have a bunch of Camus but haven't revisited most of it in like 7 years maybe. Wonder how I'd feel about his stuff today. or kafka, for that matter

Camus is good and cool, now and always. Unlike that weird crab-seeing motherfucker Sartre

Even though his non-fiction is mostly impenetrable to me, I tried and failed several times to read L'Homme Revolté

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

i likw that one kafka short story where franz or whoever wakes up and he's jeff goldblum but he still has to go to his lovely insurance job or whatever. its total horseshit jeff goldblun was in independence day

Die Verwandlung? It's the only Kafka book I ever read along with the obvious one (The Trial), and actually in German this time, albeit painstakingly. Just like the other one it's depressing as poo poo

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Elman posted:

It's so loving good. And it's not a difficult read at all once you get past all the Russian names, people just find it intimidating cause it being super long is basically a meme.

Most of the 19th-century classics aren't particularly difficult reads, other than the occasionally convoluted sentence structure and outdated references to specific types of horse coaches. The narrative is usually a lot easier to follow than much of the current fiction that's trying to be extra and post-modern. So don't be scared off by that

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

hell astro course posted:

funny to think about people waiting for the next part of the story to come out in whatever weird news paper things they were reading the stories in back then

Man a fuckin mickey mouse story took weeks.

The monarch of medioka, more like medi-skip it. Nailed it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

wesleywillis posted:

Anyone here read War and Peace?

it's bad as such, but it is quite overrated

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Just reached Albert and Franz’s Roman vacation. How long is this going to last, because it seems to have no end

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Bartleby the scrivener is a great very short read

We were assigned to read that in high school and I was the only one to get through the story. It is a bit of a thick read even for short story and it doesn't have much of a plot other than "Here's this dude who doesn't want to do much. Here's more of the dude who doesn't want to do much. Here's more of the dude who doesn't want to do much. Here's more of the dude who doesn't want to do much. Oh, He died."

Makes me wonder what got under Melville's bonnet to make him write such a story.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Darth Brooks posted:

We were assigned to read that in high school and I was the only one to get through the story. It is a bit of a thick read even for short story and it doesn't have much of a plot other than "Here's this dude who doesn't want to do much. Here's more of the dude who doesn't want to do much. Here's more of the dude who doesn't want to do much. Here's more of the dude who doesn't want to do much. Oh, He died."

Makes me wonder what got under Melville's bonnet to make him write such a story.

I modeled my life after that great man

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

I started reading Moby Dick yesterday and goddamn, Ishmael is kind of funny.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The Ghost of Tom Joad is a classic song by Rage Against The Machine

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

From theit hit album, Grapes of Rage

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

np19 posted:

Everyone owes it to themselves to read Germinal by Emile Zola. I don’t hear enough people talk about it when the matter of “the classics” comes up.

I've just about finished this one. Great book, very moving, even though I had to struggle past some of the very specific French mining terminology at the start.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I did 1984 a while back and man, is that book overrated. Where it's good, it's loving excellent, but a solid half the book is literally a textbook lecture and a character giving a lecture on 101 level dystopia politics. Was glad he had the balls to give it the proper ending for the world he set up.

But I'm also a Connecticut Yankee apologist, so maybe I just have bad taste.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The first rule or Fight Club still rings as true to day as the day it was written

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just reread the Iliad for the first time in decades and it still whips rear end.

Forgot exactly how awesome my man Diomedes was; Achilles who?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Everyone should read this weird-rear end short story by Borges:

https://sites.evergreen.edu/politicalshakespeares/wp-content/uploads/sites/226/2015/12/Borges-Tl%F6n-Uqbar-Orbius-Tertius.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Talkc posted:

Gotta go for Jules Verne for my personal fave which is 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It feels so much like youre being drawn in for this grand journey into the world abroad, like someone telling you about this amazing vacation, where things go a little tilt.

Its also got a overly loyal man servany ala Sam Gamgee in it. It features the odd mention of savages which isn't great. And everyone has that weird old timey nationalism where people are brought to tears moreso than merely watching someone die but because they were a fellow countryman.

And then a lot of the book is also "and we visited this known geographical sea place and then this other geographical sea place you've read in an encyclopedia, and then yet another geographical place."

Still good fun though