Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
every time i see this thread i realize i really like scouts. if i didnt grow up around jeeps, i would probably be into these instead. cool truck. good job getting it all done up for the show, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Hey let’s get a quick truck show trip report in before I forget all the details. Despite not being a last minute thrash to get the Scout together like last year, it’s still pretty unproven. We’ve only really done some laps of the neighborhood since the last time we had it majorly apart, so I wasn’t ruling out an eventful trip. I’ll go into some specific detail later, but we got there and back without major issue.

That is unless you count a creeping temp gauge while sitting in line an issue because yeah we had that. We rolled in at around 240* and boiling over and had to sit in a puddle of our own shame all day.

Things seem no worse for wear though. No signs of oil milkshake or the like thankfully.

From there the show was real cool. They had a 4x4 lane that we got put in which was neat. It’s surprising to see how much smaller the Scout II is next to the “regular” full size trucks of its era. It’s really closer in size to a Jeep than the Blazer and Bronco its usually compared to.

The most important part is I think my dad had a good time. We had a decent chunk of the family stop by, so he got to show things off to them and plenty of passer bys. He was in need of a motivation boost after a pretty frustrating month of very little (or negative) progress, so I’m hoping this was that. Here is he with my younger sister and her first born. Yes it’s probably silly to redact a 4-month olds face, but he’s not my baby.

I never take many pictures at shows, but here’s what caught my eye enough to change that.

When your love of trucks is rivaled only by your love of Dragon Ball.

I’m not exactly breaking new ground here, but goddamn these mega bro trucks are just the worst. There were only 2 or 3 of them though, which gives me hope for the world.

This old tow truck was about as long as it was wide as it was tall and that made me laugh.

I am generally not one for the immaculate trailer queens, but this Suburban was too nice not to like.

I appreciate all the work to extend and widen the fenders and bed on this cab over. Plus calling it a design choice sounds way more fun than grinding all those welds.

Hey, another International! Dude who owned it was cool and we chatted for a good while.

I seriously don’t even get anything about this? Imagine doing this much work to end up with this? Was this a thing in the mini truck world at some point?

Very good air filter location.

I love slammed utility trucks and am glad this has become a thing.

I kinda want a hardbody and would totally rock wheels and tires as silly as these.

Yellow is the correct color for headlights.

Here’s the third and final International of the show, a Scout 80. Sadly, it too has been bitten by the entirely too big wheel bug.

Last but not least, my truck of the show. This thing is very much my poo poo.

End of photo dump. Back to our Scout, some notes:

Cooling – Yeah, we need to do something here. It’s currently got a mechanical fan with no shroud. Probably not ideal. Debating between just adding a shroud, or throwing a big electric at it. It never got about 190 on the drive back home (with no huge line to wait in) but we’re only a couple months away from 50* higher air temps than we saw this morning.

Brakes – Thankfully functional but still not exactly confidence inspiring. There’s very little from the top half of the pedal before finally coming at what feels like nearly the floor. This is after a 30 PSI pressure bleed, so I can’t imagine there’s still air in there. Thought – The booster that’s on there now has an adjustable pushrod. I broke out the calipers and took all kinds of measurements when installing it, but would the length being too short possibly lead to this?

Steering / Suspension – Oh boy. Pre-front end rebuild you could saw the wheel nearly a quarter turn in either direction and not leave your lane. All very sloppy as you’d imagine from how beat everything was. We’ve now gone hard to the other extreme. This thing is darty and hard to keep on center with even the smallest inadvertent input (magnified by a rather small steering wheel) leading to plenty of motion. I hope this will break in? Maybe a real alignment is in order as well.

Ride quality – Totally fine actually! The roads between here and there aren’t exactly rough, but it’s as comfy as I could have asked for.

Engine – Probably need to bring the idle up a hair. It’s where it should be in park but drops just enough in gear to be borderline. It died once sitting in line and I went back to two-footing it to keep the revs up. This probably didn’t help the temp issue.

Transmission – Pretty much all good, except I the neutral safety switch isn’t working. I’ve got a wire in the plug right now to jump the starting circuit but have no continuity between those two pins when in park.

That’s probably enough post for now. We’ll probably take a week or so off before tackling the urgent things on this list. Once they’re done, I’m thinking the Scout gets kicked out of my garage and into my dad’s. Then I’m going to have to fill that empty spot in my garage. I should really find a C10 to put all these parts on.

Eventually.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

WTFBEES posted:

[...] Debating between just adding a shroud, or throwing a big electric at it. [...]

Just adding a shroud should be simple and IME makes a huge difference at low speeds. I'd do shroud first and if that doesn't do the trick you can always move on to electric.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That would be my first step as well. Shroud or radiator is usually at fault if it's overheating at low speeds. I can't remember, viscous clutch or solid mounted fan? New or original radiator?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Clutched fan, original radiator (or at least came with the truck when we got it).

Being a Scout, I'm only seeing shrouds from the specialty places and is going to run $150ish. Not a big deal but enough to consider options. Hell, if we gambled with noname Amazon brands, that's not far from the cost from an aluminum radiator (which would still need a shroud so not a great reference point).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

I love slammed utility trucks and am glad this has become a thing.

I think this was there last year too but if not then it was something similar. Looks awesome.

WTFBEES posted:

Last but not least, my truck of the show. This thing is very much my poo poo.

Yup. It's ridiculous and I love it.

WTFBEES posted:

Cooling – Yeah, we need to do something here. It’s currently got a mechanical fan with no shroud. Probably not ideal. Debating between just adding a shroud, or throwing a big electric at it. It never got about 190 on the drive back home (with no huge line to wait in) but we’re only a couple months away from 50* higher air temps than we saw this morning.

Summer can't possibly be here yet summer is coming but I'll second/third/whatever the shroud as the better choice for the money. Even at $Scout prices, a set of good aftermarket fans is a lot more. There is always the "used OEM" option if you can find something with a similar engine size and similar core size that came with electric fans. I'm running the fourthgen Camaro fans on my C10 and while they pull up to 40A at full load (enough to drop the idle on the LS1), they do a good job keeping things cool.

WTFBEES posted:

Brakes – Thankfully functional but still not exactly confidence inspiring. There’s very little from the top half of the pedal before finally coming at what feels like nearly the floor. This is after a 30 PSI pressure bleed, so I can’t imagine there’s still air in there. Thought – The booster that’s on there now has an adjustable pushrod. I broke out the calipers and took all kinds of measurements when installing it, but would the length being too short possibly lead to this?

Possibly, especially if it truly feels like nothing. Too long would be immediately obvious as brakes that don't release fully.

WTFBEES posted:

Steering / Suspension – Oh boy. Pre-front end rebuild you could saw the wheel nearly a quarter turn in either direction and not leave your lane. All very sloppy as you’d imagine from how beat everything was. We’ve now gone hard to the other extreme. This thing is darty and hard to keep on center with even the smallest inadvertent input (magnified by a rather small steering wheel) leading to plenty of motion. I hope this will break in? Maybe a real alignment is in order as well.

It's a solid front axle with leaf springs, right? I can't imagine you have adjustment even available other than toe and maybe caster. I've got a set of these laying around if you want to borrow them. In my experience so far with the Jeeps this has been more than accurate enough to make sure you've got the right amount of toe-in.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead
Binged through the thread, the scout looks super sick! Also, I love Beep, what a cutie.

I may have missed it but what happened to the C10 you had?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

IOwnCalculus posted:

Possibly, especially if it truly feels like nothing. Too long would be immediately obvious as brakes that don't release fully.

Say no more, I'm going to buy that pushrod measuring thing I should have bought to begin with. Man I've become such a whore for niche and ideally suited tools.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It's a solid front axle with leaf springs, right? I can't imagine you have adjustment even available other than toe and maybe caster. I've got a set of these laying around if you want to borrow them. In my experience so far with the Jeeps this has been more than accurate enough to make sure you've got the right amount of toe-in.

Yeah, we did a tape measure alignment for an 1/8" of toe in working off the middle and centerline of the tires, but that's all the easy adjustment. I do hear that ball joint shims are a thing for caster though? Need to look into this.

Rotten posted:

Binged through the thread, the scout looks super sick! Also, I love Beep, what a cutie.

I may have missed it but what happened to the C10 you had?

Hey thanks! Let's check in on the C10, shall we? Here's the cab:

oh god I have a cardboard hoarding problem. The frame:

Yep, still sitting against that wall.

Serious answer - I wrote that frame off. It's just too wonky and out of square. I spent a good bit of time shopping for a new frame to no avail and will probably just buy another complete-ish truck. I spent next to nothing on this one, so I'll lose no sleep over calling it a parts truck. I suppose that means I should list this cab for sale and try to reclaim that garage space. It would make a perfect fab area with a fixture table, band saw and drill press.

While we're here and since some non-Arizonans previously marveled at the lack of rust on a bare metal chassis, let's check in on this. This frame was wirewheeled bare in Feb 2022 (jesus what is time) and has been sitting outside completely exposed and uncovered since July 2023. I'm pretty sure it has rained multiple times since then. How rusty has it gotten in that time?

Kinda slightly? Certainly not bad enough that it couldn't be back to fully shiny in an afternoon.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
As someone that lives in northern IL - I hate your guts.

But your Scout is super cool.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

As someone that lives in northern IL - I hate your guts.

But your Scout is super cool.

Reminder we're not far from this part though:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Oppressive is not doing this enough justice. You're a goddamn madman doing anything this time of year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WTFBEES posted:

Yeah, we did a tape measure alignment for an 1/8" of toe in working off the middle and centerline of the tires, but that's all the easy adjustment. I do hear that ball joint shims are a thing for caster though? Need to look into this.

I think for caster you'd want some angled shims to slot in between where the axle and leaf spring meet. I fully admit I haven't touched caster on a solid axle vehicle before but my understanding is you want as much as you can manage without loving up your pinion/driveshaft angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It really depends. On a vehicle with hub lockouts and/or vacuum disconnect front axle* you aim for the optimal angle for good handling so long as it's not going to make your pinion angle so bad it'll break ujoints or max them out when the suspension cycles. On a vehicle with no hub lockouts and no vacuum disconnect you aim for a good balance between pinion/driveshaft angle (depending on the type of front driveshaft in use - rules are different for CV/CV, CV/ujoint, ujoint/ujoint) and caster.

*Vacuum disconnect is widely reviled but does have two benefits and this is one of them.