Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i enjoy negra modelo, hoegaarden, leffe, pacifico clara, shiner, and yuengling. i remember pyramid being pretty good but havent seen that around in a long time

i used to really love stouts and porters especially the really rich stuff like youngs or st peters but my body cant handle them and i dont drink them any more

i hate ipas

thats the entirety of my beer opinions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Beer is the best but does anyone else think that beer's gone a little crazy? Like there's an arms race to make the haziest, grapefruitiest hazy IPA or cram the most candy and pastry flavors to their bourbon, rum, and malort barrel aged stout?

I had a Sierra Nevada pale ale the other day and it was drat good. Beer that tasted like beer with classic beer flavors. Had a Coors Banquet not too long ago, same thing - a refreshing beer with subtle beer overtones.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Semi-Protato posted:

Beer is the best but does anyone else think that beer's gone a little crazy? Like there's an arms race to make the haziest, grapefruitiest hazy IPA or cram the most candy and pastry flavors to their bourbon, rum, and malort barrel aged stout?

nah people have been making all kinds of experimental beers with fruit etc since the middle ages. i think its a good thing. obviously not everything is going to be good or to the taste of every individual, like personally im not into the whole sour thing at all, but i still enjoy trying all the new stuff that breweries try every now and again and sometimes they are really good

quote:

I had a Sierra Nevada pale ale the other day and it was drat good. Beer that tasted like beer with classic beer flavors.

i mean thats all part of the evolution, pale ales were not all that popular until a few decades ago, i dont think it would have been a "classic beer flavor" in the 70's or 80's but something for weird beer nerds

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 9, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Belgium poo poo is the best, hands down. Duvel. Trapist. Chimay. All that stuff.

IPA's taste like bong water to me.

kntfkr fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 9, 2021

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

kntfkr posted:

Belgium poo poo is the best, hands down. Duvel. Trapist. Chimay.

those beers are all delicious but they are so filling i start feeling gross after more than one. chimay is a great special occasion beer. also duchess de bourgogne

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Other than COORS BANQUET I generally drink pale ales. Maybe an IPA a few times a year.

Love German/Belgian wheats. Weihenstaphaner Vitus might be my favorite artisinal beer.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Earwicker posted:

i mean thats all part of the evolution, pale ales were not all that popular until a few decades ago, i dont think it would have been a "classic beer flavor" in the 70's or 80's but something for weird beer nerds

Don't get me wrong, I had a tres leches stout last night that was amazing and have vanilla wafer porter and a blueberry smoothie beer in the fridge that I'm excited to try. Weird beers are good but not every beer has to be some extreme 12% tripel with lactose and fermented on top of every known fruit. Beer that tastes like beer is good too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Semi-Protato posted:

Weird beers are good but not every beer has to be some extreme 12% tripel with lactose and fermented on top of every known fruit. Beer that tastes like beer is good too.

i really dont think you need to worry about that? none of these experimental and weird flavored beers mean that "beer that tastes like beer" is going away or harder to find, you can get a normal tasting lager or pilser at any bar or store just as easily as you always could

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
oh and i like sours sometimes

its got ZING

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Dixville posted:

There are black limes??

Yeah. They’re like fermented or something. Gross in theory and likely in practice but seaquench is delicious

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

black limes are just limes that have been completely dehydrated. nothing gross about them at all

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Prairie Double Vanilla Noir. I just found some locally after not having any for 3 years.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Semi-Protato posted:

That's just America, my goon. That is what is great about America and that is what is terrible about America.

Some fads like tace to the top abv, pastry stouts, weird pumpkin escalations, sour beers that would be better served as salad dressing are gross as hell to my palate. But it also means we have kickass Russian stouts, IPAs (including hazy IPAs) and a whole mess of weirdness that sometimes works. My spouse's favorite style is black IPAs. It was *the* hotness ten years ago. Now, you can hardly find them. One of my favorite homebrew styles is Belgian IPAs which is also pretty niche nowadays.

I adore juicy hazy IPAs but dont worry: they are a fad and this fad will pass. I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has, frankly. So, let people have their fun.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Semi-Protato posted:

youre literally a decade late with this take

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
Someone said Duval, I agree, that's one of the best paler colored Belgian strong ales.

Slothful Bong
Dec 2, 2018

Filling the Void with Chaos

Bula Vinaka posted:

Anything Trappist is good, there used to be a guy who lived near Westvleteren Abbey and would buy it and sell/ship it world wide (he used to sell it on eBay when you could get away with it), but I think he's gone now, but if you can find a way to get Westvleteren you should do it.

I found some westverleten 12 in Amsterdam a couple years back, and I’m glad I got to try it. Wasn’t the best beer I’ve ever had, but it was really drat good

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Clausthaler is my go to these days

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I don't normally love sours, but Sierra Nevada had this cactus one called Otro Vez or something I really enjoyed--It had a nice skunk to it without being overly sweet. Looking it up, I guess the original recipe got discontinued, which is a shame.

I wanna try some Beck's too. Some Danish people at a hotel (semi-jokingly?) told me it was the "official" beer of Copenhagen, and experiencing non-US common beers sounds fun.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Local brewery Kulshan has probably the best beers.

Scottish Uncle
May 15, 2011

"You're alright, Harry."
Tennents.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

This theater I go to sells Sea Quench. That's such a good movie beer.

Scottish Uncle
May 15, 2011

"You're alright, Harry."
In the USA Modelo Negra is the best one I like or the Alaskan amber ale.

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Blue Labrador posted:

I don't normally love sours, but Sierra Nevada had this cactus one called Otro Vez or something I really enjoyed

Buy a regular Bud, with the white and red label. I double dog dare you to blind taste compare it with Otro Vez and see if you can tell the difference.

:hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
https://youtu.be/snhiofL2Rh4