Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Problem description: This one has me completely confused.

My system was working just fine, stable since I built it in 2017. I was attempting to replace the video card, swapping a 760 for a 1660. I powered down the computer, swapped the cards, and booted it back up. Windows came up as expected. However, I got a opengl -related error, so my immediate assumption was that I needed to uninstall my old nvidia drivers and install fresh ones tailored to my new card. I uninstalled Nvidia PhysX, rebooted, still fine. (opengl error went away) I uninstalled Nvidia display drivers, rebooted... and while I got my bios POST, when it came time to transition to the windows login screen, I instead got a completely black screen (Note, the monitor does not say that it has lost signal, it's just displaying a completely black screen). Rebooted, same thing.

Attempted fixes:

1) Attempted to boot into recovery mode and fix what I assumed was a driver issue. Recovery mode also showed a black screen.
2) Dug out a windows 10 boot usb and tried to load that. This also showed a black screen.
3) Disconnected new graphics card and plugged in old one. This also gave me a black screen.
4) Disconnected old graphics card and used motherboard's onboard vga. This also gave me a black screen.
5) Disconnected hard drive and attempted booting from USB with onboard vga. Black screen.
6) Verified usb worked via another computer.
7) Out of desperation, tried a Windows 7 install DVD that I still had. This did give me a screen, but it was extremely low-rez and low color count. Like the install system was assuming my max resolution was 640x480, 256 colors or something. Obviously wasn't going to erase my hard drive and install windows 7.
8) Powered down and unplugged system. Hit power button several times. Left unplugged overnight just in case this was a weird hardware glitch that would be fixed by depowering it. Next time: black screen.

Recent changes: Replaced hardware (seemingly without problem) and then changed software drivers.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 Home, 64-bit

System specs: Homebuilt system:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX H270F
CPU: i5-7500
RAM: Corsair 16gb DDR4
Power supply: Antec HCG-620M 620W
Hard drive: SAMSUNG 850 EVO SSD
Old video card: MSI N760
New video card: Gigabyte Gv-N1660OC-6GD GeForce GTX 1660

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Black screens related to nvidia drivers assume you can get into Recovery Mode. Black screens related to hardware changes assume your hardware is broken and give directions how to reset your CMOS to re-enable onboard VGA.

This problem is so weird. The system POSTs, so I don't think it's the CPU or RAM randomly dying. It occurs with no hard drive installed, so it can't be software. Yet it started because of software. It remains over several different hardware setups, so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.

Either: a faulty graphics card managed to zap my motherboard in such a way that it now no longer works in one very specific way, which seems super-unlikely. OR there's some weird setting being retained by the BIOS that is telling Windows that my max resolution is so low that Windows 10 refuses to load at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I may have fixed this. Reseting the cmos by jumper seems to have restored the picture. Now as long as it remains after reboot...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

If the issue happens again with the new card I'd make sure you're on the latest motherboard BIOS.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Understood. I'll double-check when I get home, but I believe my bios is to date. The motherboard came with a little software utility that checks for bios updates regularly.

I'm just not clear why it happened. Why would the graphic drivers ever touch the bios?

edit: I'll say, for anyone experiencing a similar problem in the future, that my 'low resolution' speculation was probably crap. Before reseting the bios, I tried a linux bootable usb and it loaded up at full resolution with no problem. So whatever the problem, it was windows-specific.

edit2: It looks like the last stable bios update was in 2018, which I have. There's a 'beta' bios update that came out in August, but I'm not going to risk that, for now.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 5, 2021