Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's kinda permanently 1939 in Gotham, Bruce Wayne is probably all-in with the Red Scare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i thought batman was fascist enough in real time and now he's using save states and frame advance??? that's too much power

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Those seem like some lovely problems. We have a failed actor, unfortunately even in a communist utopia there's probably not enough acting work for everyone who wants to be an actor. I presume the two scientists needed millions for their research and imo not being given huge wealth is not a great reason for embarking on a life of crime. I don't know who this clock fellow is because I have never seen the show.
The horrors of capitalism in batman aren't to be seen with it's super villains who all seem to have massive resources at their disposal but with the everyman muggers etc who batman brutalizes. The best example is his literally pearl clutching mother who would rather die than give anything to a destitute man.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Aglet56 posted:

yeah it was rad. the predator levels were always an extremely satisfying power fantasy.

i really liked all of the arkham games, although arkham knight was definitely janky

Knight was good but by the end you have way too many fuckin gadgets, it's impossible to keep track of what works on what bad guy

The team up fights were cool as hell, the killer croc one was bad rear end

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Lex Luthor knows Bruce Wayne is Batman but keeps it to himself because they sit on a lot of the same boards.

The original Swamp Thing run had a recurring villain that sat on the board of the Wayne Foundation and Batman had no idea he has a criminal mastermind.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
The show is also premised on the idea that the police are ineffective due to their unwillingness to engage in brutality and psychological torture. If we could just dangle more mobsters off the sides of skyscrapers, things would get a lot better in Gotham!

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Came thinking this was about a tool assisted speedrun of the classic NES Batman game I just wanted to see some fastest Batman discussion :(

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

NES Batman fuckin rules

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Good soup! posted:

NES Batman fuckin rules

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9X0RP5ouryk

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
nes batman 2 return of joker would be amazing if almost every loving stage wasn't an auto scroller

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Of course, the other fun thing would be good-guy anti-capitalist Joker. Or a lawyer-friendly version of the same, at least.

I guess some of the more modern takes on Harley Quinn count?

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I don't think he would really be a good guy and still be the joker. Laughing maniacally while feeding the hungry, telling them about society

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Weka posted:

I don't think he would really be a good guy and still be the joker. Laughing maniacally while feeding the hungry, telling them about society

Clown-themed blue-collar pulp hero who goes after billionaires? It's not that hard. Some of those, like the Shadow, already have creepy laughs, fancy gadgets, and a host of underworld connections.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

edward updog

Weka
May 5, 2019

Darth Walrus posted:

Clown-themed blue-collar pulp hero who goes after billionaires? It's not that hard. Some of those, like the Shadow, already have creepy laughs, fancy gadgets, and a host of underworld connections.

The joker character is more than a clown costume though. Poor mental health and a willingness to commit mass murder are probably more essential to the character. I don't really keep up with comic books or their film adaptations but wasn't OG joker like a chemical engineer or something? I've certainly never got a blue collar vibe of any of the stuff I have seen about the character.
But sure you could make a clown themed proletarian hero I guess.

Sundown Forum
Nov 12, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weka posted:

The joker character is more than a clown costume though. Poor mental health and a willingness to commit mass murder are probably more essential to the character. I don't really keep up with comic books or their film adaptations but wasn't OG joker like a chemical engineer or something? I've certainly never got a blue collar vibe of any of the stuff I have seen about the character.

rabble rabble
Mar 24, 2015

Nap Ghost

Probably Magic posted:

Batman will frequently say, "I can get you help," or, "This is not the way," or something, but it's always a form of projection, because after all, Batman isn't getting help, his quack literally fucks with his head and tries to out his superhero identity in Hugo Strange, so really, like most of what Bruce does, he's just whispering to Harvey Dent or Edward Nygma or whatever what he whispered to himself with his parents dead: "Be responsible, do something, get help." But he never does. Just a permanent state of paralysis.

a trenchant observation, the only help that anyone will get from batman is to be locked in the hell on earth that is arkham asylum, we as the audience have a natural understanding that is possibly a fate worse than death

yah, for sure, let me throw in with you bats, sounds great

jackass

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Weka posted:

wasn't OG joker like a chemical engineer or something?

OG Joker had no origin story. Alan Moore's "The Killing Joke" has him as a failed standup comic who gets involved in a poorly planned criminal scheme at a chemical plant where Batman accidentally knocks him into a giant vat of something bad, which was Moore's conflation of Joker with the Red Hood or the Red Helmet or whatever.

Consensus among nerds is that Joker's best when his existence is left unexplained, or even better, unexplainable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Weka posted:

'Poor mental health' (beyond the basic fact of being a supervillain) is actually one of the least essential parts of the Joker. His behaviour is always bizarre and dangerous, but he usually comes across as very effectively adapted to his choice of lifestyle and environment. He's not crippled by self-destructive pathologies like, say, the Riddler, and tends to be strong-willed, adaptable, and calculating. He just has a particular interest in and knack for finding the violence in humour and the humour in violence, which is certainly not too far out of the wheelhouse of your typical pulp hero (many of whom are only too happy to use lethal force).

As for being blue-collar, he's nearly always (at least implicitly) the street-level foil to the aristocratic Batman. He doesn't come from money (he doesn't come from anywhere), he's no society darling, and he's certainly got no significant allies in the city's public institutions. He's the leader of an army of Gotham's lost and abandoned, striking from the gutters to make its glittering skyscrapers quake with low-budget violence and lowbrow humour.

Darth Walrus has issued a correction as of 03:29 on Nov 15, 2021

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

rabble rabble posted:

a trenchant observation, the only help that anyone will get from batman is to be locked in the hell on earth that is arkham asylum, we as the audience have a natural understanding that is possibly a fate worse than death

yah, for sure, let me throw in with you bats, sounds great

jackass

Isn't there an actual no-poo poo demon, not like supervillain, magical spiky dude demon, living under Gotham making the place magically worse? Or did that get retconned out?

Weka
May 5, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Batman preventing future crime by dropping to a crouch and whaling on guys balls

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

that NES batman game is absolutely beautiful for the generation what the heck

i never rented it when i was a youngster because it wasn't megaman or final fantasy but i absolutely should have

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I think I avoided it as a kid because I thought it was in the licensed trash category and not in the licensed extremely good column

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

the American super-hero , batman

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

This topic was already discussed at length in issues #155 - #159 of NU-Batman. Not sharing filez.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Do you mean gnu-batman, when they did that storyline about linux?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Riddler was a video game developer in BTAS and frankly I demand that someone write him in something these days as a Dark Ulillillia.

is this true and also if so agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
I'm pretty sure forcing batman to beat a bunch of platforms in an unreasonably short amount of time is something riddler would already do, so yes.