Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Riders Republic

People were talking about this in the Steam thread, but we need a dedicated thread to this gem

:siren:What is Riders Republic?:siren:

Riders Republic is Ubisoft's newest extreme-sports game, being the spiritual successor of Steep. The extreme-sports currently in the game are bikes, skis, snowboards, wingsuits, rocket backpacks, snowmachines and more! It released on October 28th, 2021 with a "pre-season" of events and cosmetics, and future events/DLC planned via Season Pass.

:siren:What game modes does it have?:siren:

The meat and potatoes of the game is extreme sports adventuring in a highly open world (with fast travel, collectibles, challenges and secrets). Unlike previous extreme-sports games, Rider's Republic has a huge emphasis on online multiplayer.

The white icons are "ghosts" of previous player runs. The larger orange icons are currently active players on your server/shard. If you were close enough, you'd see all of these yahoos adventuring along with you.

There are multiple online competitive modes too:

Tricks Battle: 6v6 stunt challenge. Teams of six compete in an arena to generate the most stunt points. The arenas are divided into "zones" that can be captured by tricking on each part of it. Captured zones give 5x the points for a short duration. Currently, my favourite online mode.

Free for All Races: 12-person race challenges. These can be any game style, and even include a subtype of "wacky" challenges called Shackdaddy challenges (using weird twists like snowboarding on a surfboard0

Mass Race Events:: The creme-de-la-creme of online races. Up to 64 people compete in three different races for point standing. Each race has MULTIPLE sports involved using something called a switch gate. Going through a switch game seamlessly changes you between set sports, ie: from biking to snowboarding. It can be quite disorienting, so my advice? Wherever possible, use first person mode. Fighting the camera is painful and tedious.

([Mass Races are also known as the "physics lottery," so pour yourself a stiff drink and don't swear too much)

:siren:Why did you make this thread?:siren:
Because multiplayer games are more fun with more people! My Ubisoft connect list has 100+ people and zero of them are playing this game with me. Send out those friend invites, people!

:siren:I have the game already and want to group up! Let's do this!:siren:
Go on over to Ubisoft Connect and add some friends to your list! Better yet, leave your ubi name and we'll start a list here! The game is cross-platform, so there's no wrong platform to jump in on!
code:
Name                           Timezone
:siren:I don't have the game yet, lemme in!:siren:
You can get the game on Ubisoft or Epic as well. Sadly, Ubisoft games are no longer being put on Steam :(

Additionally, an Ubisoft+ subscription also includes the game.

Let's get a squad going! If it gets big enough, we can always use the SA Games Discord as well! Personally, I want a squad of six to dominate Tricks Battle, my current favorite game mode.

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

Any hot tips?

1) The camera is a pain in the butt. Don't be afraid to use first person. Plus, the speed rush in first person is amazingly accurate on some of those turns!

2) Physics collisions are beyond unpredictable when you hit another player. Don't throw your controller.

3) The in-game cosmetic shop is very barebones, and gets cycled routinely. Don't fall prey to FOMO.

4) How do I <sport> better? If you watch Twitch streams or Youtube clips, you'll see that the all-stars just go faster, be it in a race or in a trick. Gear does level up, and has an unfortunate RNG component. Grinding to max level and lucking out with a orange-level bike will, yes, make you faster and better than a level 1. You'll still have to land the jump, but you'll be able to squeeze more trick points out of everything you do.

5) There are both daily challenges (called Sponsor challenges) that give in-game currency, cosmetic and gear unlocks and weekly challenges (called Shackdaddy challenges). So far, weekly challenges have unlocked unique "Funky Gear" and seasonal cosmetics.

6) The "NO BACKTRACK" requirement for sidequests is not failed if you miss a checkpoint and get warped back to the last checkpoint. It is also NOT failed if you fall and mash the button to get back up. Both can be abused to some extent to rack up sidequest completions.

Just remember to pay attention!

Sputnik fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 11, 2021

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

For the zero people interacting with this, this week's unique gear to unlock is the foam bike. Despite weird-looking stats, it's actually great at Tricks, because you can half-whiff a trick and it will still land, rather than just out-and-out crashing.

Three posts-in-a-row is enough of a death sentence; I won't bump this thread again if no-one else cares. :sigh:

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I'm thinking about getting this game on PS5, will I be able to cross play with other platforms? I don't mind using Discord for chat.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

McLarenF1 posted:

I'm thinking about getting this game on PS5, will I be able to cross play with other platforms? I don't mind using Discord for chat.

It does.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I care, I love this game. I've just been on vacation.

I'd be down to play some. Mostly I just do solo events with the odd mass race thrown in. I don't have a headset or microphone if that's an issue but I'll see what my account is called next time I log on.

Sputnik posted:

Any hot tips?

1) The camera is a pain in the butt. Don't be afraid to use first person. Plus, the speed rush in first person is amazingly accurate on some of those turns!

2) Physics collisions are beyond unpredictable when you hit another player. Don't throw your controller.

3) The in-game cosmetic shop is very barebones, and gets cycled routinely. Don't fall prey to FOMO.

4) How do I <sport> better? If you watch Twitch streams or Youtube clips, you'll see that the all-stars just go faster, be it in a race or in a trick. Gear does level up, and has an unfortunate RNG component. Grinding to max level and lucking out with a orange-level bike will, yes, make you faster and better than a level 1. You'll still have to land the jump, but you'll be able to squeeze more trick points out of everything you do.

5) There are both daily challenges (called Sponsor challenges) that give in-game currency, cosmetic and gear unlocks and weekly challenges (called Shackdaddy challenges). So far, weekly challenges have unlocked unique "Funky Gear" and seasonal cosmetics.

6) The "NO BACKTRACK" requirement for sidequests is not failed if you miss a checkpoint and get warped back to the last checkpoint. It is also NOT failed if you fall and mash the button to get back up. Both can be abused to some extent to rack up sidequest completions.

1) To go further on this, always check the exact requirements for the sidequest challenges you want to reach, and be cognizant of the amount of tricks you have for each run. With snow trick events you can often actually go backwards and switchback your way back up the hill to do a jump right if you mess it up the first time. Same with the bikes, obviously the best score will only happen if you use all of your best tricks on all of the available tricks that you have to put in. As you said skipping a checkpoint can work too.

2) If you aren't really prepared for a jump or don't know how much air time you'll have it's not a bad idea to just do flat rotations either direction. You are guaranteed to land in that way so it's good for when you're not sure of the terrain or don't have a trick idea stored up. Scoring well on bike tricks is mostly about knowing how much air time you'll have and choosing the correct spin/flip combo to take advantage of it while throwing some extra tricks during it.

3) Trick practice is great, I like to do that a little bit almost every time I start playing just to refresh so I can remember the ones I want. It can be hard to remember which exact combination is which grab or trick; some grabs or tricks can even affect your rotation so that maybe you won't get it around in time to land. The trick practice can help you understand which tricks are better for small or medium jumps and which should only be used during big airs.

4) The airplane wing relic thing owns. Best way to get from fast travel point to whichever event you want since it has an incredible amount of boost. Hard to turn at all but once you've pointed it in the right direction that isn't a problem.

I haven't used first person at all. I might need to try that out on the bike racing as the camera is annoying as gently caress and moving it with the right stick never helps at all.

Does anyone know, is there any value in putting multiple grabs/tricks into the same spin/flip or is it better to just hold it and rack up more points in the same added grab/trick? Like say I'm doing a 1080 or a 1440 on the bike, should I do all tailwhips or should I do one tailwhip and a can can or whatever?

Play fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 15, 2021

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I'll have to fiddle with it more, but I believe multiple tricks have a higher starting point value (ie: the first hold is 1000 pts per second, when you switch to another its 1500.) For it to be worth it though, you have to switch holds immediately after the previous bar fills, otherwise you're wasting air time.

I usually just hold one pose.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

There are some extra tricks that are so annoying because they make it really hard to tell when you are evened out and ready to land. Supermans and seat grab tricks are terrible for this for some reason I always end up thinking I've finished the rotation I wanted but once I let go of the superman I'm still upside down somehow.

Also please add me my Ubi username is PlayCA I believe

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Man this game is incredibly unpopular here. I guess goons don't like sports lol

I'm still loving it, for my money it's like forza horizon but better because there's a lot more variation in event types, there's both racing, tricks, and other kinds of gameplay and most of it is fun as hell.

My favorite event type is definitely slopestyle bike tricks. For some reason the bikes are more satisfying than snow tricks

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I much more prefer snow tricks. I've played it so disproportionately that it's my only legendary drop so far. Plus, this week's weekly challenges for the ridiculous panda suit play well into that preference, with lots of Tricks Battles :)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

they add the ability to have AI in a race/the optional challenges when you're just running around with a bro or two doing missions? I was primarily interested is playing with a small group of people but the multiplayer is surprisingly watered down for a game like this

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sputnik posted:

I much more prefer snow tricks. I've played it so disproportionately that it's my only legendary drop so far. Plus, this week's weekly challenges for the ridiculous panda suit play well into that preference, with lots of Tricks Battles :)

Is Legendary like a gold-colored drop or something? I think my only legendary is the Drominator which is useless obviously, the rest of my equipment is all purple or below. I just kind of skip around events randomly, but I like snow tricks as well. In general the trick events are SO much easier than the racing events.

And don't even get me started on loving wingsuit events I don't know if I'm slow in the head or what but I find those absolutely loving impossible generally, especially certain extra side achievements. Maybe I just gotta grind some more and get a better wingsuit but the controls seems just terrible

Babe Magnet posted:

they add the ability to have AI in a race/the optional challenges when you're just running around with a bro or two doing missions? I was primarily interested is playing with a small group of people but the multiplayer is surprisingly watered down for a game like this

Is what you're saying that when you enter an event with a friend there are no AI racers even if there would be normally?

I don't actually know the answer just confused about what you're asking. The way I play this game is just enter events and try to get every single optional side achievement that grants you stars, and I'm hoping to get full completion of those side achievements on every single event in the game.

There are plenty right now though that my equipment just can't handle. Especially the **XTREME** time-based achievements, what I've come to realize is that most of those are only possible with the absolute highest level gear. Still it's always disappointing when I quit trying an event without getting all the stars

Play fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 23, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Nice OP. Think I'll pick this up sometime in December.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
I'm gonna try and get into this, but tbh it kinda just made me wanna reinstall Steep. I really don't think I like the idea of the gear having stats tied to it, but I'll see how it goes.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

This week's Shackdaddy Challenge to complete a certain bike stunt in under 1min30sec is just nerve-wracking. If you don't have an elite bike, I have no idea how you'll pull it off. Even if you do....yikes.

I did it, but I refuse to say how long it took me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Play posted:

Is what you're saying that when you enter an event with a friend there are no AI racers even if there would be normally?

yeah, when you're partied up with someone and try to enter the event, the only option is 1v1 (or however many you have in your party), there's no AI, and you can't do the optional challenges either

I'll probably revisit it when they get this issue sorted out. If.