Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
So I listened to an iceberg video last week called The Disturbing Book Iceberg and was mega disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5JK03oC1Ek

I mean, why is Stephen King below the water level? I love king but he's mainstream - things are supposed to get more obscure the lower you go. And not a single entry from Kathe Koja? For shame.

I want to make a better Disturbing Book Iceberg, but I'm gonna need some help. Gimme your entries and we'll build one together.

We'll need the title, author, a link from either Goodreads, Wikipedia. Book Depository, or Amazon would be a big help. Explain why it's disturbing and what layer you think it should be on. We can discuss and debate, with the best being listed here in the OP post.

RULES -
* One entry per author
* Short stories are a-ok
* The more obscure the better
* online publication (blogs, etc) are a-ok
* Fiction is good, nonfiction is good (Nothing to Envy, Night, etc), straight-up journalism or wiki articles not ok
* comics and manga are a-ok but will be given the same scrutiny as regular books. No "Ew it's weird!" crap - it's gotta go that extra mile.

The thing to keep in mind is DISTURBING. That means we're good to go grim as all gently caress here.

Here's the template I'll be using -

Here are some entries for starters -

Layer 0 - Mainstream, famous, probably has an A-budget film adaptation.

Layer1 - Mainstream, but not terribly famous but easily available. Your mom has probably not heard of it. Unlikely to have a film adaptation.

Layer 2 - Side stream - indy publishers, back of the library, hasn't been been checked out in a long time. The neckbeard mini-mart cashier who sells weed from his car has probably read it.

Layer 3 - Underground - limited publishing, passion projects. Experimental stuff, probably poor quality and edgelord but there's an attempt to do something different. Here's the gray zone between mental health and mental illness.

Layer 4 - Underground - Now we're getting to the mentally ill stuff. This is where you stop adn think, "Wait, this person actually believes this, don't they?"

Layer 5 - Forbidden Zone. This layer is exclusive to the kind of stuff that should probably never leave the author's head. Makes you think "This person would be a serial killer if it wasn't for them having a writing outlet" or even "This person is totally a serial killer". Books by criminals are not an automatic entry - the work itself MUST be hosed.

Edit - lol I mispelled the title

The Frog Pit fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
I did some digging and have contender entries for each layer -

Layer 0 - "Survivor Type" Stephen King

"Survivor Type" is a horror short story by Stephen King, first published in the 1982 horror anthology Terrors, edited by Charles L. Grant, and included in King's 1985 collection Skeleton Crew. Speaking about the story, King says: "As far as short stories are concerned, I like the grisly ones the best. However, the story 'Survivor Type' goes a little bit too far, even for me." (From Wiki)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivor_Type

Layer 1 - "Mad Shadows" Marie-Claire Blais

"A harrowing pathology of the soul, Mad Shadows centres on a family group: Patrice, the beautiful and narcissistic son; his ugly and malicious sister, Isabelle-Marie; and Louise, their vain and uncomprehending mother. These characters inhabit an amoral universe where beauty reflects no truth and love is an empty delusion. Each character is ultimately annihilated by their own obsessions. Acclaimed and reviled when it exploded on the Quebec literary scene in 1959, Mad Shadows initiated a new era in Quebec fiction."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/836224.Mad_Shadows?ac=1&from_search=true&qid=6rVIRlqTUL&rank=1

Layer 2 - "The Pushman and Other Stories" Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Designed and edited by one of today's most popular cartoonists, Adrian Tomine, The Push Man and Other Stories is the debut volume in a groundbreaking new series that collects Tatsumi's short stories about Japanese urban life. Tatsumi's stories are simultaneously haunting, disturbing, and darkly humorous, commenting on the interplay between an overwhelming, bustling, crowded modern society and the troubled emotional and sexual life of the individual.
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/53178.The_Push_Man_and_Other_Stories

Layer 3 - "The Mud Ballad" Jo Quenell

"In a dying railroad town, a conjoined twin wallows in purgatory for the murder of his brother. A disgraced surgeon goes to desperate ends to reconnect with his lost love. When redemption comes with a dash of black magic, the two enter a world of talking corpses, flesh-eating hogs, rude mimes, and ritualistic violence."
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/53148951-the-mud-ballad

Layer 4 - "Things Have Gotten Worse Since we Last Spoke" Eric LaRocca

"A whirlpool of darkness churns at the heart of a macabre ballet between two lonely young women in an internet chat room in the early 2000s—a darkness that threatens to forever transform them once they finally succumb to their most horrific desires. What have you done today to deserve your eyes?"
https://www.bookdepository.com/Things-Have-Gotten-Worse-Since-We-Last-Spoke-Eric-Larocca/9781951658120?ref=pd_detail_1_sims_b_p2p_1

Layer 5 - "Beauty Labyrinth of Razors" Jun Hayami

"Graphic art by Jun Hayami in the Japanese erotic-grotesque ("ero-guro") style of manga, a unique fusion of sex and violence unlike anything seen in Western comics. Deranged killers, innocent young women, and leering perverts collide in some of the most feverishly lurid fantasies ever committed to paper. "Beauty Labyrinth of Razors is a compendium of Jun Hayami's most disturbing work, containing 12 stories selected from his books and never before translated and published in English."
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2060836.Beauty_Labyrinth_of_Razors

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
Talked it over with my friends, here's the updated list.
Please add if you think of anything or disagree with the titles/placement.

ayer 0 - Mainstream, famous, probably has an A-budget film adaptation.
"Survivor Type" Stephen King
“Little Things” Raymond Carver
“The Medea” Euripides
“24 Hours” Neil Gaiman
“Titus Andronicus” Shakespeare

Layer1 - Mainstream, but not terribly famous but easily available. Your mom has probably not heard of it. Unlikely to have a film adaptation.
 "Mad Shadows" Marie-Claire Blais
“The Pillowman” Martin McDonough
“I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream” Harlen Ellison
“When the Wind Blows” Raymond Briggs
“Firefly” Piers Anthony
“Crooked Little Vein” Warren Ellis
“Bear” Marian Engel

Layer 2 - Side stream - indy publishers, back of the library, hasn't been been checked out in a long time. The neckbeard mini-mart cashier who sells weed from his car has probably read it.
“Zombie” Joyce Carol Oates
“Face” Peter Milligan, Duncan Fegredo
“Sredni Vashtar” Saki

Layer 3 - Underground - limited publishing, passion projects. Experimental stuff, probably poor quality and edgelord but there's an attempt to do something different. Here lies the gray zone between mental health and mental illness.
"The Mud Ballad" Jo Quenell
 "The Pushman and Other Stories" Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Layer 4 - Underground - Now we're getting to the mentally ill stuff. This is where you stop and think, "Wait, this person actually believes this, don't they?"
 "Things Have Gotten Worse Since we Last Spoke" Eric LaRocca
“The Painted Bird” Jerzy Kosinski

Layer 5 - Forbidden Zone. This layer is exclusive to the kind of stuff that should probably never leave the author's head. Makes you think "This person would be a serial killer if it wasn't for them having a writing outlet" or even "This person is totally a serial killer". Books by criminals are not an automatic entry - the work itself MUST be hosed.
"Beauty Labyrinth of Razors" Jun Hayami
“The Fifth Nail” Joseph Edward Duncan III
“The Pugelist” Jennifer Gibbons

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Sure, I'll help.

There's the book Zelda Fitzgerald wrote while in the mental asylum for schizophrenia that her bastard of a husband locked her in. I don't know if it's disturbing but the backstory certainly is.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The Frog Pit posted:

Layer 4 - Underground - Now we're getting to the mentally ill stuff. This is where you stop and think, "Wait, this person actually believes this, don't they?"
 "Things Have Gotten Worse Since we Last Spoke" Eric LaRocca

Can you expand a bit on this one? I wouldn't call it obscure or underground; Kosinski was a famous author, and The Painted Bird was his best-seller.

Kosinski was obsessed with secrecy and control, both in his life and in his fiction -- you can see it most clearly in books like Steps and Cockpit, where the protagonist almost sociopathically manipulates everyone around him.

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica

Selachian posted:

Can you expand a bit on this one? I wouldn't call it obscure or underground; Kosinski was a famous author, and The Painted Bird was his best-seller.

Kosinski was obsessed with secrecy and control, both in his life and in his fiction -- you can see it most clearly in books like Steps and Cockpit, where the protagonist almost sociopathically manipulates everyone around him.

That's a good point. I guess I was thinking more in terms of how disturbing the content is and was reading a few critical reviews on Kosinski's sadomasichistic fantasies in the text. He was an insufferable jerk (the introduction he wrote for Painted Bird is an exercise in self-pitying cringe) but was also a world-famous bestseller so he doesn't belong that low on the tier.

I'm hoping to make this iceberg more about obscurity + mental instability of the author than just the content. That's going to be a challenge as obscure can be stable and famous can be batshit.

Here's the new revised version, with Painted Bird moved up -

Layer 0 – Mainstream authors, famous titles, often taught in schools, widely available, may have an A-budget film adaptation.
“The Medea” Euripides
“24 Hours” Neil Gaiman
“Layers of Fear” and “Long Dream“ Junji Ito
“Night” Eli Wiesel
“Johnny Got his Gun” Dalton Trumbo
“In Cold Blood” Truman Capote
“Picnic at Hanging Rock” Joan Lindsay
“Lolita” Vladimir Nabokov
“In the Penal Colony” Franz Kafka
“There will Come Soft Rains” Ray Bradbury
“The Bluest Eye” Toni Morrison
“The Gulag Archipelago” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Layer1 - Mainstream, but not terribly famous but easily available. Authors are usually successful, many are award-winning, books may have cult status in their genre.
“House of Leaves” Mark Z. Danielewski
“Firefly” Piers Anthony
“Bear” Marian Engel
“The Plague Dogs” Richard Adams
“Goodnight Punpun” Inio Asano
“Perfume – The Story of a Murderer” Peter Suskind
“Roadside Picnic” Boris Strugatsky, Arkady Strugatsky
“The Wasp Factory” Iain Banks
“On the Beach” Nevil Schute

Layer 2 - Side stream - not always easy to find but usually available through online stores. Many have cult status. Often deserve more attention but are a little too off-beat for a mainstream audience.
“Sredni Vashtar” Saki
“The People of Sand and Slag” Paolo Bacigalupi
“Penpal” Dathen Auerbach
“Blackwater” Michael McDowell
“The Ice Man” Philip Carlo
“Stitches” David Small
“The Auctioneer” Joan Samson
“Blood of the Tracks” Shūzō Oshimi
“Last Summer” Evan Hunter

Layer 3 - Underground - limited publishing, passion projects, experimental stuff, an attempt to do something different. Gray zone between mental health and mental illness.
“The Inferno In Bottles” Kyusaku Yumeni
“The Cipher” Kathe Koja
“Poor Big Sister” Suehiro Marou
“Hell Baby” Hino Hideshi
“Hideout” Matsemuni Kakizaki
“Things Have Gotten Worse Since we Last Spoke" Eric LaRocca
“Save Me the Waltz” Zelda Fitzgerald
“Titus Alone” Marvyn Peake

Layer 4 - Underground – Often hard to find physically or in special reprints. The authors here are not of the right mind and it shows in the text.
“In the Realms of the Unreal“ Henry Darger
“Fourteen” Umezu
“Toy Cemetery” William W. Johnstone
“The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick” Philip K. Dick
“Turn Loose Your Death Rays and Kill Them All!” Fletcher Hanks, collected by Paul Karasik

Layer 5- Forbidden Zone. Oftentimes out of print or were never properly printed. The combination of unhinged writing and unhinged mind.
“The Box” Thndrshark
“Pickton – In His Own Words” Michael Childres

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

I might bump Fletcher Hanks up at least one tier. He was a drunk and a scoundrel, but my understanding is that the weird nature of his work was more the result of his output being extremely early in the comic book medium. So it naturally seems weird since it doesn’t follow genre tropes as they would eventually be established. The collections of his works also sell new on Amazon, so he is definitely not out of print.

He does need to be somewhere on the list though. His stuff is notoriously bizarre.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Nijigahara Holograph by Inio Asano is about as disturbing as I can tolerate. Definitely in the Layer 1 category. It's an achronological story about the psychological effects of child abuse and has a largely schizophrenic organization. When I got my copy of the book, I read it twice in one day and then decided what I was doing was not healthy and stopped. Any of the cute physical humor or empathetic character pathos that's in Goodnight Punpun is absent in Holograph. It's just a disjunct hallucinatory dissociative nightmare of a book.

the novel Earthlings by Sayaka Murata probably also fits the bill at level 0 or level 1. It's also kind of on the furthest edge of what I would personally consider tolerable to read. It's about childhood sexual abuse that leads into a ufo cult and cannibalism. I thought the first half of the book, for as incredibly dark as it is, was actually very moving. By the second half it starts becoming a cold analysis of extreme neurodivergence .

Cephas fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 23, 2021

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Seconding Nijigahara Holograph instead of Goodnight PunPun. While PunPun has plently of disturbing content, Cephas is right that there's a lot more to it than just being disturbing. Nijigahara Holograph, however, is exactly that - it's JUST disturbing.

Interesting that there are so few in the last two tiers, but that's for the best to keep them minimal.

I wanted to add The Journal of the Plague Year by Daniel Defoe https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Journal_of_the_Plague_Year I haven't read it yet but it's a first-hand account of when the bubonic plague his London in 1665 and apparently pretty brutal.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Just found another one - https://www.bookdepository.com/The-Diary-of-Miss-Idilia-Tragic-Tale-of-Young-Love-Lost-Genevieve-Hill/9781906021818

So in real life in the 1850's this Scottish family went on vacation to Germany and the teenage daughter went missing. Almost a decade later some guys are refurbishing an old house and find her skeleton in a tower - she'd climbed up in there and the stairs collapsed, leaving her stuck there to starve to death.

Supposedly she had her diary on her, which was supposedly passed on to the family and here it supposedly is. Supposedly. All super mysterious. Whether that counts as disturbing enough for your iceberg or not, it's a great backstory.

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
Awesome. So I've moved Painted Bird up a layer, exchanged Punpun for Nijigahara Holograph, removed Picnic at Hanging Rock because it's not really disturbing when compared to the others on the list I added Earthlings, Save Me the Waltz, Hell in Bottles, I also added Republic of Wine by Mo Yan because... dang.

I adjusted the description of layer 4 to exclude special reprints - if something obscure is collected later on in a specialty reprint by a third party, that doesn't count. That way books published through scans/fan translations of books with no official English version posted online but aren't available pretty much anywhere else can be applied. I added The Inferno In Bottles to layer 4 because, while a classic in Japan, it's never been officially translated outside of one online post (at least as far as I could find). This is important because pretty much everything is available of you look hard enough online, which would make the bottom two tiers useless unless that distinction is made.

Question - Murakami is pretty famous for the disturbing, but he's also written a ton and I don't know which would be the best to pick.

Also on the hunt for anything outside of the US and Japan. Those are more than welcome.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
idk if Murakami really fits into the camp. He writes weird and dreamy stuff that sometimes can veer toward the nightmare side of a dream, but I don't think any of his works are actively frightening or repulsive the way horror fiction by King, or accounts of the holocaust by Wiesel, are. I think the closest you can get is Kafka on the Shore (has some pretty dark supernatural elements) and Wind-Up Bird (it's been a real long time since I've read it, but it has some depictions of the Rape of Nanking). tbh I think most people who read Murakami are more disturbed by his objectification of women lol. basically i think he's more "weird" than "disturbing"

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

How is Conspiracy Against the Human Race not on this list? Shameful

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I don't understand why you're disappointed that a YouTube iceberg video would be stupid and superficial, OP.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Where does Hogg fit into this?

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica

Asgerd posted:

Where does Hogg fit into this?

Oh wow, I've never heard of that one before. Looking it up led me down one hell of a rabbit hole, thank you! Samuel R. Delaney isn't Bradbury famous, but he does have an impressive resume. That's sort of what makes Hogg stand out over the Scrotie McBoogerballs -style writing that books like it are often mistaken for. That means he can't be underground (too many Hugo awards) but he should count as sidestream.

Regarding Conspiracy Against the Human Race, is that 0 or 1? Ligotti has had a wild rise in popularity over the past ten years, he's almost a household name nowadays.

I also noticed there's no Marquis de Sade on there, my bad.

+ + +

Layer 0 – Mainstream authors, famous titles, often taught in schools, widely available, may have an A-budget film adaptation.
“The Medea” Euripides
“24 Hours” Neil Gaiman
“Layers of Fear” and “Long Dream“ Junji Ito
“Night” Eli Wiesel
“Johnny Got his Gun” Dalton Trumbo
“In Cold Blood” Truman Capote
“Conspiracy Against the Human Race” Thomas Ligotti
“In the Penal Colony” Franz Kafka
“There will Come Soft Rains” Ray Bradbury
“The Bluest Eye” Toni Morrison
“The Gulag Archipelago” Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
“120 Days of Sodom” Marquis de Sade

Layer1 - Mainstream, but not terribly famous but easily available. Authors are usually successful, many are award-winning, books may have cult status in their genre.
“House of Leaves” Mark Z. Danielewski
“Firefly” Piers Anthony
“Bear” Marian Engel
“The Plague Dogs” Richard Adams
“Nijigahara Holograph” Inio Asano
“Perfume – The Story of a Murderer” Peter Suskind
“Roadside Picnic” Boris Strugatsky, Arkady Strugatsky
“The Wasp Factory” Iain Banks
“On the Beach” Nevil Schute

Layer 2 - Side stream - not always easy to find but usually available through online stores. Many have cult status. Often deserve more attention but are a little too off-beat for a mainstream audience.
“Sredni Vashtar” Saki
“The People of Sand and Slag” Paolo Bacigalupi
“Penpal” Dathen Auerbach
“Hogg” Samuel R. Delaney
“Blackwater” Michael McDowell
“The Ice Man” Philip Carlo
“Stitches” David Small
“The Auctioneer” Joan Samson
“Blood of the Tracks” Shūzō Oshimi
“Last Summer” Evan Hunter
“Earthlings” Sayaka Murata

Layer 3 - Underground - limited publishing, passion projects, experimental stuff, an attempt to do something different. Gray zone between mental health and mental illness.
“The Cipher” Kathe Koja
“Poor Big Sister” Suehiro Marou
“Hell Baby” Hino Hideshi
“The Republic of Wine” Mo Yan
“Hideout” Matsemuni Kakizaki
“Things Have Gotten Worse Since we Last Spoke" Eric LaRocca
“Save Me the Waltz” Zelda Fitzgerald
“Titus Alone” Marvyn Peake

Layer 4 - Underground – Originals are often hard to find physically, special reprints don't count. The authors here are not of the right mind and it shows in the text.
“In the Realms of the Unreal“ Henry Darger
“The Inferno In Bottles” Kyusaku Yumeni
“Fourteen” Umezu
“Toy Cemetery” William W. Johnstone
“The Exegesis of Philip K. Dick” Philip K. Dick
“Turn Loose Your Death Rays and Kill Them All!” Fletcher Hanks, collected by Paul Karasik

Layer 5- Forbidden Zone. Oftentimes out of print or were never properly printed. The combination of unhinged writing and unhinged mind.
“The Box” Thndrshark
“Pickton – In His Own Words” Michael Childres

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Get Philip K. Dick out of layer 4, you doofus.

You can replace it with Mother Horse Eyes, tho. That never got a real release outside of reddit posts and a let's read, as far as I'm aware.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
I would also recommend the book of poetry Ariel by Sylvia Plath for level 0. A posthumous collection of poems about suicide and madness and hating her father and her husband and being haunted by her miscarriage, and the inseparability (in her eyes) of blooming into something resplendent as an act of self-destruction. I think as a young adult it's easy to be seduced by her ability to elevate the banal domestic horrors of life into a self-mythology. Her skill with arresting imagery and lilting rhythm really is excellent. But in the end the poetry collection is unbelievably nihilist, and narcissistic, and she has no hesitation in using the pains of other people--black oppression, anti-semitism, the atom bomb--as fuel for her own suicidal self-beatification.

Listening to her reading her own poetry is like listening to a sorceress incanting some witch's sabbath:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO0SREXcSUs

quote:

Fever 103°
By Sylvia Plath

Pure? What does it mean?
The tongues of hell
Are dull, dull as the triple

Tongues of dull, fat Cerberus
Who wheezes at the gate. Incapable
Of licking clean

The aguey tendon, the sin, the sin.
The tinder cries.
The indelible smell

Of a snuffed candle!
Love, love, the low smokes roll
From me like Isadora’s scarves, I’m in a fright

One scarf will catch and anchor in the wheel,
Such yellow sullen smokes
Make their own element. They will not rise,

But trundle round the globe
Choking the aged and the meek,
The weak

Hothouse baby in its crib,
The ghastly orchid
Hanging its hanging garden in the air,

Devilish leopard!
Radiation turned it white
And killed it in an hour.

Greasing the bodies of adulterers
Like Hiroshima ash and eating in.
The sin. The sin.

Darling, all night
I have been flickering, off, on, off, on.
The sheets grow heavy as a lecher’s kiss.

Three days. Three nights.
Lemon water, chicken
Water, water make me retch.

I am too pure for you or anyone.
Your body
Hurts me as the world hurts God. I am a lantern——

My head a moon
Of Japanese paper, my gold beaten skin
Infinitely delicate and infinitely expensive.

Does not my heat astound you! And my light!
All by myself I am a huge camellia
Glowing and coming and going, flush on flush.

I think I am going up,
I think I may rise——
The beads of hot metal fly, and I love, I

Am a pure acetylene
Virgin
Attended by roses,

By kisses, by cherubim,
By whatever these pink things mean!
Not you, nor him

Nor him, nor him
(My selves dissolving, old whore petticoats)——
To Paradise.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Nov 25, 2021

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I feel like short story Guts by Chuck Palhniuk has a place in maybe it 0 or 1. It is from his book Haunted.

https://genius.com/Chuck-palahniuk-guts-annotated

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
"Doctor Rat" by William Kotzwinkle should be somewhere below layer 1, mostly about vivisection, but from the point of view of a lab rat who thinks it's a great idea.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
In terms of writer’s intention, I believe Hogg deserves to be next to 120 Days of Sodom. But the latter has become mainstream and the former is untouchable. I don’t know what that means for the iceberg.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
I think Laird Barron has a spot somewhere on here. Personally I'd land him in the 1 zone, but I suppose that's up for debate. Occultation, or imago sequence? There's some great stuff in there. Some of his short stories have stayed with me for a long time, Strappado, procession of the black sloth.

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
Okay! Here's round #1 Lemme know what you think and what should be changed, moved, removed, or added.

edit - uploaded bigger version for readability

The Frog Pit fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Dec 1, 2021

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I think Laird Barron has a spot somewhere on here. Personally I'd land him in the 1 zone, but I suppose that's up for debate. Occultation, or imago sequence? There's some great stuff in there. Some of his short stories have stayed with me for a long time, Strappado, procession of the black sloth.

Never heard of this guy. I looked him up and he's got an eye patch and races sled dogs in his spare time. He's like a One Piece character and I love him on principle.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Mr.Chill posted:

Never heard of this guy. I looked him up and he's got an eye patch and races sled dogs in his spare time. He's like a One Piece character and I love him on principle.

Also is similar to most of the protagonist he writes (not a typo, its always a hard drinkin manly man). Black Sloth is weird as gently caress and so much fun though.

I still think layer 6 needs Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica

Bilirubin posted:

Also is similar to most of the protagonist he writes (not a typo, its always a hard drinkin manly man). Black Sloth is weird as gently caress and so much fun though.

I still think layer 6 needs Conspiracy Against the Human Race by Thomas Ligotti

Definitely checking out Black Sloth today.

Ligotti can't go into Layer 6 - that layer is for difficult to find books by mentally unwell authors who are also unknown - the disturbing-ness of the content isn't all that relevant because of how subjective the concept is. Personally speaking, "The Bluest Eye" is arguably the most hopeless, despairing looks at childhood I've ever read (like the author I grew up poor in Ohio, it hit like a sack of bricks)but I can't put it lower because it's so famous and available that Oprah promoted it. Ligotti is wildly successful and world famous with his books cherished the world over. Conspiracy Against the Human Race was an important inspiration for True Detective, after all.

However, "The Fifth Nail" is a fan-collected blog written by a real life serial killer while he had two hostages in his house. It wasn't meant for publication and even then only has a tiny release. THAT gets on level 6.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mr.Chill posted:

Oh he's loving great, my favorite short story writer for sure. I am basically just chasing the high of reading his weird rear end stories for the first time. He does write to his archetype, but it's not always that way, and the protags are never heroic. It's manly men laid low by an uncaring host of cosmic horrors

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
Version 2.0 -

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Some suggestions:

Naked Lunch, by William S Burroughs - famously transgressive, infamously obscene, a nonstop cavalcade of sex, violence and horrific drug abuse.

Several Dennis Cooper novels - Closer and Frisk are the best-known, but a lot of his work includes child sexual abuse, extreme violence, and the kind of disaffected tone that really disturbs.
Also In The Miso Soup, Audition, Popular Hits Of The Showa Era by Ryu Murakami, some extreme violence and a detached, ironic tone that forces the reader to confront the mundane horrors we're capable of.

How are we ranking/conceptualising work by lovely people that reflects their lovely actions? Tao Lin's novel Richard Yates is a nearly autobiographical story inspired by a relationship he had in which he was emotionally abusive as gently caress.

Also, where does "misery lit" fit on this scale? Things like A Child Called It, First They Killed My Father and such. "True stories" of relentless hardship and pain.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

The Peacemaker by Gardner Dozois. Short story about a future America where a boy whose family fled flooding on the East Coast is settled as a refugee in a Colorado town where a church has all the power, and they think child sacrifices are necessary to appease God. I thought it would be good to include as it does an excellent job building up the bleakness, plus the quality of the writing won a Nebula award. The story builds to the child being sacrificed willingly in an attempt to help their crops.

Stand out dialogue when he's remembering his dog:

quote:

A dog was barking out there now, somewhere out across the fields toward town, but it was not his dog. His dog was dead, long since dead, and its whitening skull was rolling along the ocean floor with the tides that washed over what had once been Brigantine, New Jersey, three hundred feet down.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4289205-the-peacemaker

Would probably put it on layer 1?

The Frog Pit
Oct 12, 2021

by Pragmatica
Youreverydaytheorist on Youtube wants to do a video of out iceburg in February!! I'll be sure to thank you guys for your help and suggestions :lovebird:

Newest update!

The Frog Pit fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 7, 2022

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
Crooked God Machine probably goes on Level 2.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Is it too late to point out that iceberg is spelled wrong?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Llamadeus posted:

Is it too late to point out that iceberg is spelled wrong?

Well I'm disturbed now.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's too late to point out a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Not entirely sure where it would sit, since it's a short story published online, but "Lena" by qntm is much in the same vein as I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, but imo is more horrifying because it's much much more realistic and believable to me.