Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

sorry I would go annoy the other forum with stuff like this but I'm thread banned from the thread for discussing it because I was mean to the OP lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Lib and let die posted:

OP there's actually some merit to the idea that the transmission method or medium of information is just as powerful, if not more powerful than, the message being transmitted via that medium. In the 1960's, Canadian Media Professor Marshall McLuhan proposed in his book Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man that the media itself, not the content itself is more influential on a society than any message it carries. He would also classify mediums as "hot" or "cold" mediums, based on whether some receiver engagement was expected or not. Other forums will laud the Shannon-Weaver model as an unassailable bastion of media analysis, but McLuhan saw that model as being tied to a necessary notion of efficient causality that was largely undone when the definition of efficient causality it is based upon was revealed to have been due to an early print-era mistranslation of Aristotle's idea of efficient causality.

Rather than a causal model, McLuhan proposed a 'tetrad' shaped model, described on wikipedia as such:

Given that there are so many formats to internet communication, we can't unfortunately apply the Tetrad to "The Internet", but rather it's more suited to avenues of communication within the internet.

What does vlogging enhance?
What does longform forums posting enhance?
What do tweets and twitter threads enhance?

What do they obsolete?
What do they retrieve? For forumsposting, we could certainly argue a sense of nostalgia in the world of 240 characters or less!
What are they when taken to the extreme? Well, the Media Analysis & Criticism Thread in that forum is probably a good example of a medium taken to an extreme.

the medium is the message hth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

OP there's actually some merit to the idea that the transmission method or medium of information is just as powerful, if not more powerful than, the message being transmitted via that medium. In the 1960's, Canadian Media Professor Marshall McLuhan proposed in his book Understanding Media: The Extensions of Man that the media itself, not the content itself is more influential on a society than any message it carries. He would also classify mediums as "hot" or "cold" mediums, based on whether some receiver engagement was expected or not. Other forums will laud the Shannon-Weaver model as an unassailable bastion of media analysis, but McLuhan saw that model as being tied to a necessary notion of efficient causality that was largely undone when the definition of efficient causality it is based upon was revealed to have been due to an early print-era mistranslation of Aristotle's idea of efficient causality.

Rather than a causal model, McLuhan proposed a 'tetrad' shaped model, described on wikipedia as such:

Given that there are so many formats to internet communication, we can't unfortunately apply the Tetrad to "The Internet", but rather it's more suited to avenues of communication within the internet.

What does vlogging enhance?
What does longform forums posting enhance?
What do tweets and twitter threads enhance?

What do they obsolete?
What do they retrieve? For forumsposting, we could certainly argue a sense of nostalgia in the world of 240 characters or less!
What are they when taken to the extreme? Well, the Media Analysis & Criticism Thread in that forum is probably a good example of a medium taken to an extreme.

This is an interesting way to look at it, and there's one particular place where I think it's worth probing the difference not just between "the internet" and other forms of media, but within internet communication types. In particular, comparing a forum like this one to "social media". Of course you can see an oldschool web 1.0 internet forum like this as a form of social media. It's a medium where we're social with each other. But it departs from "social media" as we think of it today (facebook, twitter, tiktok, instagram, etc.) in a few clear ways, not least of which is that there's no behind-the-scenes prioritization of anything other than maybe recency, i.e., the default view for a forum on SA is to see stickied threads first and then threads sorted by most recent post. A thread with a million replies will get shunted below a thread with one reply if that one reply was made more recently, there's no algorithm sorting which threads you see and saying "this one with a million replies is clearly driving more engagement with the site so I'll push it to the top", it's just sorting by last post.

This remains one of my favourite things about SA, it's set up for people to interact with each other and not for people to game an algorithm to get their things prioritized. There's no like or +/- post rating system other than rating threads which doesn't do anything unless you're a deeply strange person who reads the forum sorted by thread rating, and so there's nothing for the forum to prioritize except what the users themselves prioritize by posting a lot. There's a real contrast with the engagement-driven radicalization engine of something like facebook or twitter or youtube that recognizes what drives greater engagement regardless of its content and pushes it towards more people to make it more popular so that people will spend more time on the site.

Or, put another way, we radicalize ourselves here instead of letting a computer do it for us.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

sorry I would go annoy the other forum with stuff like this but I'm thread banned from the thread for discussing it because I was mean to the OP lol

i liked the post

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

i liked the post

oh i was expecting a bunch more 'didn't reads' and stuff. you're a very hard read yourself, mr smythe. bit of a norm macdonald 'is he doing a bit or not? i just can't tell' kinda thing.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

The Saucer Hovers posted:

the medium is the message hth

I wrote A Lot of Words about this idea after all the AOC Met Gala stuff, when she tweeted out this statement. It's buried in the succ thread somewhere and I may go back and refine it, but she didn't do the idea justice, and really sort of perverted McLuhan's theories to shield herself from criticism.

vyelkin posted:

This is an interesting way to look at it, and there's one particular place where I think it's worth probing the difference not just between "the internet" and other forms of media, but within internet communication types. In particular, comparing a forum like this one to "social media". Of course you can see an oldschool web 1.0 internet forum like this as a form of social media. It's a medium where we're social with each other. But it departs from "social media" as we think of it today (facebook, twitter, tiktok, instagram, etc.) in a few clear ways, not least of which is that there's no behind-the-scenes prioritization of anything other than maybe recency, i.e., the default view for a forum on SA is to see stickied threads first and then threads sorted by most recent post. A thread with a million replies will get shunted below a thread with one reply if that one reply was made more recently, there's no algorithm sorting which threads you see and saying "this one with a million replies is clearly driving more engagement with the site so I'll push it to the top", it's just sorting by last post.

This remains one of my favourite things about SA, it's set up for people to interact with each other and not for people to game an algorithm to get their things prioritized. There's no like or +/- post rating system other than rating threads which doesn't do anything unless you're a deeply strange person who reads the forum sorted by thread rating, and so there's nothing for the forum to prioritize except what the users themselves prioritize by posting a lot. There's a real contrast with the engagement-driven radicalization engine of something like facebook or twitter or youtube that recognizes what drives greater engagement regardless of its content and pushes it towards more people to make it more popular so that people will spend more time on the site.

Or, put another way, we radicalize ourselves here instead of letting a computer do it for us.

Yeah, this jives with a lot of what I've drawn from my readings on McLuhan and Postman's works, though I might argue that in certain cases there is some sort of internal, background mechanism to promote certain ideas - curators of a forum can use various distinction tools available to them to elevate some voices above other though it's considerable less obfuscated than "the algorithm" because you can generally point to one of a handful of potential suspects that elevate a voice because the ones with that power are straight up publicly listed at the top of that forum.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lib and let die posted:

I wrote A Lot of Words about this idea after all the AOC Met Gala stuff, when she tweeted out this statement. It's buried in the succ thread somewhere and I may go back and refine it, but she didn't do the idea justice, and really sort of perverted McLuhan's theories to shield herself from criticism.

Yeah, this jives with a lot of what I've drawn from my readings on McLuhan and Postman's works, though I might argue that in certain cases there is some sort of internal, background mechanism to promote certain ideas - curators of a forum can use various distinction tools available to them to elevate some voices above other though it's considerable less obfuscated than "the algorithm" because you can generally point to one of a handful of potential suspects that elevate a voice because the ones with that power are straight up publicly listed at the top of that forum.

Absolutely. Even just using my very simple example of thread order in a subforum, ahead of the "last posted" sort order there are stickied threads, which got there because somebody with the power to stick threads went in and used it rather than because a computer determined that those were the best threads to have at the top of the forum.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
ive never experienced this posting in fyad

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

scary ghost dog posted:

ive never experienced this posting in fyad

What you are experiencing is the cleansing light of the Immortal Science.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
gently caress u

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god
have u tried luv

<3 <3 <3

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Personally I'm more into melancholy and despair, but glad you've found a posting brand OP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

oh i was expecting a bunch more 'didn't reads' and stuff. you're a very hard read yourself, mr smythe. bit of a norm macdonald 'is he doing a bit or not? i just can't tell' kinda thing.

im a "thing liker" now, OP. long gone are the days of misanthropy. its all about good natured laughs and appreciation these days.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Smythe posted:

im a "thing liker" now, OP. long gone are the days of misanthropy. its all about good natured laughs and appreciation these days.

oh, word? you like some... "thing" ???

it could be everything, even :ohdear:

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

jesus christ the zipper on my pants broke and my weiner was just flopping around

luckily everyone was at lunch

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Gj op, I'm not smart, but I am into chilling out and thinking about your criticism and internalizing it.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Phobos Anomaly posted:

Recently I made a (particular) forum post (not on this forum). Someone responded to this post disagreeing with me. My initial reaction was of self-righteous indignation. I'm always right how dare someone disagree with me. The fact I even managed to make my post makes me superior to all other humans.

But after cooling down and actually engaging with the offensive post I realized that this person was just pointing out the negative ramifications of my post. Ramifications that I understand and agree with. So why did I get so irrationally indignant over someone disagreeing with me?

I'm starting to believe that the format of social media forum posting is invoking and amplifying irrational rage. It's easy for oneself to believe they're right about something when you have so many people sharing your belief. This in turn makes it incredibly easy to invoke irrational rage when someone even disagrees with you. I'm always right, so you must be evil if you disagree with me, and the cycle amplifies itself and goes on.

Now I have great respect for C-SPAM posters who are much more smarter and well-informed than I am, so this is probably all very obvious to you all. But if you could expand on this a bit that would be great.

wait isn't this exactly what tucker carlson said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Al! posted:

wait isn't this exactly what tucker carlson said

it's uncanny