Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
CPOE will reward a QB less for completing a high volume of short, high percentage passes, as will EPA/play, whereas the rest of them don't notice, if the QB is getting lots of possessions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

blarzgh posted:

CPOE, and to an extent PFF grades are averages, whereas
Total EPA, DYOA, DYAR, and QBR are volume stats, which explains some of the disparity

DVOA and QBR are not volume stats.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

DVOA and QBR are not volume stats.

They're cumulative, the others are rate, so yeah

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Congrats to the Chargers who analysised themselves into a loss

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Colts beat the patriots with only 5 passes. Analytics is in shambles

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Colts beat the patriots with only 5 passes. Analytics is in shambles

Analytics says the average pass is better than the average run; analytics also says that if your runs will get more yards, on average, in a game than your passes will, then you should continue to run.

Which is what happened in both the Buffalo and Indy games.

Yet another win for Analytics!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I do think we're entering into a weird period of time in which analytics isn't going to disproven or whatever but a lot of the "don't run" evangelists are going to get owned in increasingly obvious ways.

Defenses are finding a way to slow down the passing explosion with split safeties, and offenses are adjusting by running against the light boxes. We'll probably see some sort of evolution in the next year followed by a widespread adoption, but I think we've got a bit of a weird situation where some of the tools for slowing down these offenses(ie front-7 guys who can play in gap and a half/two-gap to let you just play split safeties) or the stuff for beating those adjustments on offense(good in-line TEs) don't exactly grow on trees.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

blarzgh posted:

Analytics says the average pass is better than the average run; analytics also says that if your runs will get more yards, on average, in a game than your passes will, then you should continue to run.
So do what your guts and your eyes tell you to do after all?

Your move, analytics :smug:

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Somehow, "hey, this newly available information says football has been wrong about certain things" became some weird football culture war and I truly don't understand why

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

blarzgh posted:

Somehow, "hey, this newly available information says football has been wrong about certain things" became some weird football culture war and I truly don't understand why

Get back in the locker nerd.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
get with times gramps, nowadays we calculate probabilities, sorry if thats too much for you to handle

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The correlation between running the ball and winning football games is 1.

Go ahead and throw those quarterbacks in the trash and invest in another fullback instead.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

blarzgh posted:

You must be a killer at parties

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Enjoying posters on Something Awful.Com now pretending they were the jocks in high school

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/SethWalder/status/1472712722110373893?t=9bkmWaWVytOfSc4YMB9Ljw&s=19

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Magicpants posted:

thank you bill belichick for ending advanced stats once and for all

i dont wanna see any of that blasphemy posted about the run not mattering ever again

Looks like advanced analytics is back!

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/FO_ASchatz/status/1475189500775174146?s=20

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Dork rear end

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

They beat the mighty Chargers and Browns it wasn’t at all a mirage ok?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Just wanna go back to a day when this newfangled Forward Pass wasn't dominating the game, and ruining the purity of football.

https://twitter.com/SportsbyBrooks/status/1475308624712974338?t=3ZP5uScGDMxcOPU9GbVimw&s=19

Pre-1940

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Flea flickers, naked bootlegs, crossing patterns. They were attacking all points of the field!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bills have come up with a brilliant strategy of just scoring touchdowns every drive. I'm surprised it took a team so long to come up with this clever strategy.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Wait hold on they were able to effectively run AND pass the ball? Is that legal?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've looked at the numbers and it seems like running a QB draw at 14 seconds left in midfield with no timeouts is not the most optimal play in that situation.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I'm getting word that two attempts to score a touchdown is better than one, and that both one and two attempts are better than zero.

This is high level math, it simply cannot be disputed

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

https://twitter.com/arjunmenon100/status/1488558131638685702?t=uHG51NHjGzNHLfflVFynEg&s=19

Feel like this metric gets things about right. Thoughts?

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
That feels right

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1489654955132784642?t=pjZivqWBX9xo5O21wF_lvQ&s=19

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i think baker will prove to be at least x0.9 of kirk when he is healthy and everything has chilled out some. i've always believed in only three browns qbs since becoming a fan of nfl football. tim couch, baker mayfield, and cody kessler who i think could have slanged it if given better opportunities. i know the stats don't say so but sometimes he would slang it but not often.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Proof of gently caress picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

I was curious if there were any studies done to back up the idea of a player being "injury prone" and found this study from the other football that seems like it would still apply.

Abstract

Background: Previous injury is often proposed to be a risk factor for football injury, but most studies rely on players reporting their own medical history and are thus potentially subject to recall bias. Little is known about the natural variation in injury pattern between seasons.

Objectives: To study whether prospectively recorded injuries during one season are associated with injuries sustained during the following season, and to compare injury risk and injury pattern between consecutive seasons.

Methods: The medical staffs of 12 elite Swedish male football teams prospectively recorded individual exposure and time loss injuries over two full consecutive seasons (2001 and 2002). A multivariate model was used to determine the relation between previous injury, anthropometric data, and the risk of injury.

Results: The training and match injury incidences were similar between seasons (5.1 v 5.3 injuries/1000 training hours and 25.9 v 22.7/1000 match hours), but analysis of injury severity and injury patterns showed variations between seasons. Players who were injured in the 2001 season were at greater risk of any injury in the following season compared with non-injured players (hazard ratio 2.7; 95% confidence interval 1.7 to 4.3, p<0.0001). Players with a previous hamstring injury, groin injury, and knee joint trauma were two to three times more likely to suffer an identical injury in the following season, whereas no such relation was found for ankle sprain. Age was not associated with an increased injury risk.

Conclusions: This study confirmed previous results showing that previous injury is an important risk factor for football injury. Overall injury incidences were similar between consecutive seasons, indicating that an injury surveillance study covering one full season can provide a reasonable overview of the injury problem among elite football players in a specific environment. However, a prolonged study period is recommended for analyses of specific injury patterns.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bjsm.2006.026609

Nothing earth shattering but I thought it was interesting that ankle injuries don't seem to lead to more future injuries and that age doesn't seem to be a factor.