Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

Supposedly playing the ‘33 Portsmouth Spartans, the year before they became the Detroit Lions, with such luminaries as Leroy “Ace” Gutowsky, Roy “Father” Lumpkin, Faye “Mule”Wilson, Elmer Schaake, under head coach George “Potsy” Clark.

Huh, I can't find a single guy wearing #10 from that year who "threw" a pass on PFR, so yeah, I have no idea who they're playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Kalli posted:

Huh, I can't find a single guy wearing #10 from that year who "threw" a pass on PFR, so yeah, I have no idea who they're playing.

I think PFR’s records pre-1950 are sometimes best educated guesses for some stuff, particularly when you get into the 30s, and IIRC the idea that the Spartans are one of those teams was an educated guess from when that clip was making the rounds last year, but it stuck with me. I couldn’t even tell you which team is which in the clip.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

I think PFR’s records pre-1950 are sometimes best educated guesses for some stuff, particularly when you get into the 30s, and IIRC the idea that the Spartans are one of those teams was an educated guess from when that clip was making the rounds last year, but it stuck with me. I couldn’t even tell you which team is which in the clip.

I think the Eagles are on D there, at least the numbers on their jerseys match up to stuff on PFR. Checked the other teams on PFR and every #10 is listed as a Guard. I mean that might be a guard throwing the football there, I'd believe it. But yeah, PFR's records are spotty at best that far back, so who knows.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
e:Look I don’t know poo poo about football, I just like to watch to the games. This isn’t supposed to be a pissing contest about who’s smartest, just look at the loving game! You have never seen anything like it in your football life.

TFF has been giving me poo poo all season for believing in Belichick, including supposed pats fans. That’s part of the reason I’m going off so hard. The other part of the reason is that I just saw the most astonishing breathtaking game of all time. And there’s maybe a dozen other people here that recognize it for what it was. This sport is so fun, why cant you people enjoy it? Anyways see you chumps in the playoffs.

:moonrio:

Magicpants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Dec 7, 2021

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I run with magicpants in support

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

That was a smack em in the dick, punch em in the face, roll around in poo poo and sniff it, not your grandma's but your great great grandpas kinda football. He'll yeah

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I for one am grateful belichick is leading the charge for transitioning america to a rugby country, the superior sport.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Magicpants is right but creepy nurse guy is also right that rugby is good. So conflicted

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

If you played football before 1960 were you legally required to have a stupid nickname?

If my ancient relatives are any indication, EVERYONE had some crazy nickname back then.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

That's actually Deacon Jones' father.

The only black men in that stadium were attendants in the Men's restrooms.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Who is creepy nurse guy and why are we earnestly speaking about people like that?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Yeah very disrespectful, I am NOT a nurse!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm sure a hundred years from now people will be laughing at the silly nicknames the players today have.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Mega64 posted:

I'm sure a hundred years from now people will be laughing at the silly nicknames the players today have.

"Jackrabbit" Jenkins. "Hollywood" Brown. "DangeRuss" Wilson. Tom "G.O.A.T" Brady.

vv edit: "Cooper" "Kupp"

AJA fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 8, 2021

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

AJA posted:

"Jackrabbit" Jenkins. "Hollywood" Brown. "DangeRuss" Wilson. Tom "G.O.A.T" Brady.

Tom "The Pharaoh" Brady

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
https://twitter.com/tl_larams/status/1467659576292032517?s=21

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Mega64 posted:

It’s no PUSSY MASTER 007, though.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

For really dumb nicknames, once NIL really gets rolling, kids will come into the league known by the gamertag/YouTube/twitch handles they made when they were 14.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

pseudodragon posted:

For really dumb nicknames, once NIL really gets rolling, kids will come into the league known by the gamertag/YouTube/twitch handles they made when they were 14.

And Michael "Poggers" Turner has his 3rd touchdown of the day beating out "Yeet" Davis to the edge!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
A lot of the old nicknames are because Dads used to name their sons after themselves a lot more often

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Here's clips from from a 1939 Lions-Dodgers game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nso5_BoR8WY

It's a shame they picked this one to film in color because there isn't much to see.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

drat, it was all about the cut blocks back then.

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

AndrewP posted:

drat, it was all about the cut blocks back then.

"back then," Shanahan and the Broncos laugh :haw:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The weirdest thing is the crowd not seeming to react to anything, even the fumble.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's a shame they picked this one to film in color because there isn't much to see.

Ehh there was a pretty sweet kickoff return that I liked, at least. Nice juke.

One thing that stands out is how much slower everyone is and how much more often they just... fall down. There's a huge emphasis on staying on your feet in today's NFL for obvious reasons.

Nov 6, 2002

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Three yards and literally a cloud of dust.

Larch
Dec 20, 2004

BEE LOVER

Play posted:

Ehh there was a pretty sweet kickoff return that I liked, at least. Nice juke.

One thing that stands out is how much slower everyone is and how much more often they just... fall down. There's a huge emphasis on staying on your feet in today's NFL for obvious reasons.

In the building trades we have the same focus.

Don't fall down.

You loving dummy.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It's amazing that football became the #1 sport in America when it looks like...this in its infancy. It's brutal to watch - at least with baseball it looks like the same sport.

Nov 6, 2002

Baseball is still brutal to watch if you're not drunk.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Absolutely everyone was drunk all the time back then and there was nothing else to do after work so of course baseball became the most popular sport in the country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFBUJGud0KU

Week 13 mic'd up. Featuring Sean McVay being very new agey and clicking his pen a lot, Jamarr Chase not saying much, Christian Wilkins being really irritating to pretty much everyone, and some nice closeup shots of a very quiet Josh Jacobs