Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Hiya.

Cool Beanz.

Welcome to the Official site of the cable show I made with all my college friends.

Colin, Larry, Cameron, Tony and Mike as well as Jack Rose, SuperToad and Kerri, Aaron and Mark , Rutherferd B. Hayes, Spam, Jim, Clivana, Johnny O, Kim Thomas and Laina Underhill, Tully and Dawn,, Roger and Missy, 2216 Hanover, Strawberry Street, VCU.3rd Street Diner in Richmond, Dane , .Lowell and Shannon, Melissa, everyone at Radford,; all the great bands like The Bugs, Fred Vegas, Chapter 6, The Ventilators, all Mike's brothers at PSK.., everyone who was sitting around chilling in 1992 on friday afternoons watching channel 31.

This was LIVE TV !

It began as a joke. This event precipitated from a whim thought up by me and Doc one night smoking weed and watching 2 dudes on TV playing trivial pursuit.

Various idiots provided amusement by calling in to offer advice on how to play..

We went to a meeting on Boulevard across from Hardees where the studio was and they gave us a time slot for our television show.

Larry came on board to help us out in the studio.

Let me tell you, being in front of the camera on cable television, even on public access was a trip.. Nervous and funny, it sometimes sorta felt like indigestion. Much fun all the same.

I will write more soon, so stay tuned.

Doxx myself? I'm 50, about to turn a year older, why would I care what I share with a bunch of strangers? Nothing to lose. Maybe lots of funny not terrible content.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

The_Franz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDwwZ7H9XpY

Nothing will ever convince me that there has been a single non-prank caller to a public access TV show in the history of humanity...

loving love this clip!

I "worked" at the local cable station here but by the time I was there they had "professionalized" it and we only did political round table shows and stuff like that. Lots of call in shows. I had to screen the callers. Basically we would ask for the caller's number and then plug it into some software. If the producer wanted to put the call to air we would call the viewer back and then stack them on hold for air. Very few prankers got through but it happened occasionally unlike poor Diddlee here

My cable company (Rogers) was famous for airing Tom Green's first TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onk9lSJ1Gf0

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Robo Reagan posted:

anyone who likes this stuff should watch UHC

the Weird Al movie?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

bucksmash posted:

I grew up just outside of Seattle, so we had SCAN (Seattle Community Access Network) and we had some of the most notorious shows on public access:

Political Playhouse - leftist talk show that talked about big issues like AIDS, abuses of power, censorship, the push to legalize cannabis, etc. Also nudity and profanity were prevalent.

Kurt Cobain Was Murdered - conspiracy theory program about what really happened to the Nirvana frontman. Lots of people I knew who watched the show believed Courtney Love pulled the trigger

lol I remember Political Playhouse, I didn’t watch a lot but the hosts were about what you’d imagine with zero budget or editors. Once for a cannabis show there were the usual hosts plus hilariously clean cut travel guru Rick Steves, who made strong points in favor of legalization. It was funny as he hosts the PBS travel shows beloved by boomer family, but also has good politics and isn’t shy about his image.

Oh man that Kurt Cobain show was bizarre. Like how do you make a regular show about one narrow topic?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Hyrax Attack! posted:

lol I remember Political Playhouse, I didn’t watch a lot but the hosts were about what you’d imagine with zero budget or editors. Once for a cannabis show there were the usual hosts plus hilariously clean cut travel guru Rick Steves, who made strong points in favor of legalization. It was funny as he hosts the PBS travel shows beloved by boomer family, but also has good politics and isn’t shy about his image.

Oh man that Kurt Cobain show was bizarre. Like how do you make a regular show about one narrow topic?

Kurt's show was about rock, but it did end violently

DamnCanadian
Jan 3, 2005

Perpetuating the stereotype since 1978.

dev286 posted:

My cable company (Rogers) was famous for airing Tom Green's first TV show.

I’m REALLY dating myself here, but in the mid 70s, Rogers channel 10 in Toronto used to have a program where some guy would play contemporary rock, while the control room guys used every video effect known to man at the time. I like to think of him as the first VJ.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Aardvark! posted:

Lmfao what IS this

Lol wtf

dev286
Nov 30, 2006

Let it be all the best.

DamnCanadian posted:

I’m REALLY dating myself here, but in the mid 70s, Rogers channel 10 in Toronto used to have a program where some guy would play contemporary rock, while the control room guys used every video effect known to man at the time. I like to think of him as the first VJ.

Scarborough Cable gave us this wonderful program as well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht_TmEMd4r4

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DamnCanadian posted:

yeah poo poo like this is rare today because it was on the cusp of everything broadcast being recorded

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXnb-ojKc4

quote:

In 1970, a new syndicated TV show premiered playing current Top-40 radio hits on TV during weekends. NOW Explosion was the precursor to MTV, with music videos shot in studios and on locations in Dallas, Atlanta, and Ft. Lauderdale, FL. The innovative effects used in the videos were the state of the art in 1970. Many creative effects, though dated in the psychedelic era, are still as vibrant and interesting today as they were when they were originally made. This production of Norman Greenbaum's 'Spirit In the Sky' utilized a technique of a silhouetted dancer layered with video feedback, which was produced by shooting a camera at a video monitor of the dancer and mixing the two. The original 2-inch quad videotape used a mono recording of a 45 RPM record as the source for the music. I have re-synched a clean digital stereo recording of the song with the video and present the result here. The audio is now astounding. No copyright infringement is intended.

e: that reminds me, there was an obscure new wave band that took this same name (Now Explosion) and they hung out with baby RuPaul

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLfUK76iErs&t=735s

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We have a local TV channel here, it got locally famous on youtube in Sweden because some guy remixed old archival footage from the 80s and 90s into bizarre sketches and fake subtitles (riffing on the local dialect which is like archaic swedish). It's basically impenetrable unless you can speak swedish and even then.

Here's a playlist tho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3NDHZxWga8