Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Trabant posted:

With the disclaimer that I'm probably not your intended audience, here's my impression of the video you linked:

It's clear that you had a wealth of information and thoughts on the topic, and what to me looks like quite a bit of research backing it up! Both the video and audio were well done, and I liked the thumbnail as well.

I thought it could benefit a bit from some more structure or delineation, at least for someone like me. Having sections like (Ancient) History, Creators, Reception, Legacy -- those would give me a breather as you go through the history of the game. Whether you have a formal title card breaking it up into sections is probably a stylistic choice. I like those, but I might be a lunatic.

I'll add that even though I'm not a gamer, I would absolutely be interested in some of the things you have in the channel description, including what a game did for the company or genre or, like in this case, the franchise. I imagine financial specifics might be tricky to get a hold of though, and those happen to be extra interesting in the big picture.

7seven7 posted:

Agreed - I might be the target audience. I watched the whole video and enjoyed it. Your voice, knowledge, and presentation are all up to snuff, but this video would've really benefited from some title cards just to break up the pacing issues.

Other than that - good video!

sorry for the super late response. i actually sort of forgot this thread existed after i posted, lol. but thanks for the comments! watching over the video, i do think title cards might be a good idea and it was something i've been thinking of adding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

and since i'm here, i might as well post my most recent vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrybdnDHqQ

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

I've been breaking beer, wine and soda bottles for a very old project and started a YouTube channel for it: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1YO2XVmj5vSjpqBSppDRLA

Doing about two to three week now. I'll eventually be demonstrating the process when there are more subscribers so I don't get it stolen from underneath my feet.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!

trilobite terror posted:

Try just changing the thumbnail first.

I've changed the thumbnail twice now and each time the views haven't budged. It only got about a hundred views, so maybe that's just too small a number to move the needle? I notice other people in the thread mentioning it helps, but for every single one of my videos, the views they get in the first week are the views they settle on whether I switch out the thumbnail or not. I've recently changed a bunch of thumbnails just to test it again and yeah - not a single new view :shrug:

Sardonik posted:

Welp, here goes nothing! It hasn't hit the algorithm proper yet but I'm feeling fairly confident about this thumbnail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6moe69uWtp4

I really really like this thumbnail. Good luck!

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Do you guys have any tips for promotion/advertising? I understand not getting thousands of views per video per day but it's been really frustrating to see that my last few videos completely flatlined after the initial bump. hell my latest video has been stuck on the same number for at least a week. I mean not even one extra view per day. I'm totally fine with the idea of having slow growth but this hitting a brick wall thing is very very frustrating.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Mr Interweb posted:

Do you guys have any tips for promotion/advertising? I understand not getting thousands of views per video per day but it's been really frustrating to see that my last few videos completely flatlined after the initial bump. hell my latest video has been stuck on the same number for at least a week. I mean not even one extra view per day. I'm totally fine with the idea of having slow growth but this hitting a brick wall thing is very very frustrating.

Alright, I had a look.

Your Channel's About Page posted:

This is a channel where I cover all things in the world of gaming that have had major and influential impacts on the industry and on the world, with a slight emphasis focused on the financial side of their success. The topics will include video games, developers, YT and Twitch Streamers, basically anything or anyone that has achieved some major level of fame in the gaming industry and pop culture.

This is very bland and I'm not sure what the value proposition here is. I guess you could say I'm in your target audience, because you've named YouTube streamers (which I am), but I don't know because the few vids you have up are all gaming-related so maybe you're only targeting gamers who stream.

Mr Interweb posted:

and since i'm here, i might as well post my most recent vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUrybdnDHqQ

I skim-watched this, and by that I mean I watched probably the first ~2 mins or so which gave me a feel for your video and editing style, and then I scanned the transcript. And when I got to the end, I kinda went, "...okay?" Like I'm not really sure what I, as a viewer, got out of your video besides "the history of Nvidia" and I'm not sure how that is relevant to me. It's missing a "so what?" factor.

I think your problem is twofold:
1) you don't actually know who your target audience is; and therefore
2) you're making content that's packaged and structured in a way doesn't really appeal to anyone

What's your CTR like? What's your retention like? Are you getting impressions?

Focus on these things first before you start trying to do anything with promotion/advertising. Otherwise, you might as well just throw the money down a drain. All promo/ads are going to do is drive traffic—you still have to do everything else to win over the viewer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

7seven7 posted:

I've changed the thumbnail twice now and each time the views haven't budged. It only got about a hundred views, so maybe that's just too small a number to move the needle? I notice other people in the thread mentioning it helps, but for every single one of my videos, the views they get in the first week are the views they settle on whether I switch out the thumbnail or not. I've recently changed a bunch of thumbnails just to test it again and yeah - not a single new view :shrug:

Here’s an, I would say, related video from a small channel that was extremely successful in the past month and was recommended to me today. IDK if this helps you in any way but maybe seeing somebody else’s approach to the subject matter gives you some clarity on what to do next.

I do think your title could be a bit more specific “Finding solace” can relate to a lot of different things, people seek and find solace from stress, frustration, and a lot of other different pressures. Your video is specifically about grief and the title should probably reflect that.

(Content warning: discussions of suicide and grief of an extremely personal nature. I disabled the embed because it’s a really heavy subject matter.)

https://youtu.be/ddITF6uuFQI?si=nuVNnVnU4hY8fPbk

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Apr 7, 2024

7seven7
May 19, 2006

trilobite terror posted:

Here’s an, I would say, related video from a small channel that was extremely successful in the past month and was recommended to me today. IDK if this helps you in any way but maybe seeing somebody else’s approach to the subject matter gives you some clarity on what to do next.

I do think your title could be a bit more specific “Finding solace” can relate to a lot of different things, people seek and find solace from stress, frustration, and a lot of other different pressures. Your video is specifically about grief and the title should probably reflect that.

(Content warning: discussions of suicide and grief of an extremely personal nature. I disabled the embed because it’s a really heavy subject matter.)

https://youtu.be/ddITF6uuFQI?si=nuVNnVnU4hY8fPbk

Bit late to this, but this was an excellent watch and gave me some clarity. I'm going to relaunch the video with a new title/titlecard.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
:siren: Alert, this is not a drill, Davinci Resolve FINALLY supports native .gif importing. :siren:

I know this doesn't sound like a lot and I'm sure most other editors did it natively just fine for years but god finally. Having to convert things before use was deeply annoying.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sardonik posted:

:siren: Alert, this is not a drill, Davinci Resolve FINALLY supports native .gif importing. :siren:

I know this doesn't sound like a lot and I'm sure most other editors did it natively just fine for years but god finally. Having to convert things before use was deeply annoying.

Hot dang :eyepop: It won't do anything for my dumb videos, but it will make it easier to make my dumb gifs!

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

Genuinely great news.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I'll do a full retrospective on my latest video if anyone's interested but wow do the changes of the clickthrough rate seem interesting:

It's almost like the algorithm actually got better at finding the audience for the video over time. :aaa: I shouldn't be surprised but it does seem like it actually went through the effort of finding and refining the audience - something that feels like it hasn't always happened for me.

For this one I did a few things different that I'd expect could be in play - mainly I unchecked 'send video to subscribers' as I didn't think my existing subscriber base would go for this. Based on the initial period clickthrough rate this was probably the right call as the video did not attract much viewership from being listed as a suggested video when watching my previous videos. The downturns in the clickthrough rate correlate with when I was mainly getting suggested video impressions. The video did *significantly* better with the browse feature impressions, and continues to do pretty well there (relative to my other videos at least).

Average View Duration is kind of rear end (16.6%) but I think that might be at least a little forgivable given it's coming from browse feature impressions. It's quite the contrast with the Stargate SG1 video, which had a much better AVD (31.3%) but far weaker CTR (2.2%). This is probably stating the obvious but I think this is another data point that CTR is king. The new video already has more views than the SG1 video, and I'd expect that trend to continue. Fortunately I have a card and end card set up in the new video pointing people to the SG1 video, so hopefully others will enjoy it in time and help it build an audience.

Also definitely successfully reaching my targeted age demographics which is heartening:

So uh, thanks, algorithm!

Thalgorithm.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

Sardonik posted:

I'll do a full retrospective on my latest video if anyone's interested but wow do the changes of the clickthrough rate seem interesting:

It's almost like the algorithm actually got better at finding the audience for the video over time. :aaa: I shouldn't be surprised but it does seem like it actually went through the effort of finding and refining the audience - something that feels like it hasn't always happened for me.

For this one I did a few things different that I'd expect could be in play - mainly I unchecked 'send video to subscribers' as I didn't think my existing subscriber base would go for this. Based on the initial period clickthrough rate this was probably the right call as the video did not attract much viewership from being listed as a suggested video when watching my previous videos. The downturns in the clickthrough rate correlate with when I was mainly getting suggested video impressions. The video did *significantly* better with the browse feature impressions, and continues to do pretty well there (relative to my other videos at least).

Average View Duration is kind of rear end (16.6%) but I think that might be at least a little forgivable given it's coming from browse feature impressions. It's quite the contrast with the Stargate SG1 video, which had a much better AVD (31.3%) but far weaker CTR (2.2%). This is probably stating the obvious but I think this is another data point that CTR is king. The new video already has more views than the SG1 video, and I'd expect that trend to continue. Fortunately I have a card and end card set up in the new video pointing people to the SG1 video, so hopefully others will enjoy it in time and help it build an audience.

Also definitely successfully reaching my targeted age demographics which is heartening:

So uh, thanks, algorithm!

Thalgorithm.

I still don't really understand how to raise my CTR other than making my videos as good as I can and try to get better at thumbnails. I understand the concept, but I can't figure out what else I can focus on to raise it. I wish I'd thought of not pushing out my last video to my subs. It did better after relaunching with the new thumbnail, but it still underperformed and stopped getting views after a week like normal:

The CTR was pretty abysmal, I badly missed my age demographics, but I'm super surprised with the average view duration. I was really expecting it to be around 5-10% with the subject and presentation I went with. It's also the first video to get suggested on other vaguely gaming themed videos, so maybe YouTube is starting to figure out where to put my content? Either way I decided to start focusing on my thumbnails again ahead of the new video. Normally I start them after finishing the edit, but by then I'm normally tired of the concept, so I don't give it much brain capacity. This time I'm really trying to think about how to get the concept and the flavour of my content across using the language that I can pick out in other YouTube thumbnails. Here's what I've got so far:

The simple title card is my favourite, but the second is probably the most YouTubey. But I do like the last one and I think it might be the most suitable - it's simple, grabs the eye with the laser beams and colour palette, and might be meme-y enough to get the point across. But I still have absolutely no idea what I'm doing, so I'm probably way off base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5K2n6wi_hg

7seven7 fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 22, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

I think 2 and 3 are definitely solid choices there!

I should add a caveat to my previous post that despite the CTR being high for a time for the browse impressions it did come right back down after those dried up, and the video is sitting at about 1.5k views. So even if something is getting a good CTR through browse impressions it's still not a sure thing to success. Perhaps it couldn't overcome the other impressions it was getting on my channel. Definitely going to do a more core-audience friendly video for my next one that should fare better.