Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Now that everything's at 90 it's nice to play jobs I actually like again.

Really interested to see Dragoon in Dawntrail. It's so close to being something I'm really comfortable with, I hope their plans to tweak it work for me without putting off the folks who like it as-is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I finally cleared my last extreme for Mentor Roulette. I ran it once and got Hell's Lid which was simple enough. My concern is that while I want to help I also don't want to be that mentor so I'm looking into learning the ARR extremes synced at a minimum. Is it enough to read a guide and have it handy or should I make an effort to learn them synced in PF before I queue for Mentor Roulette again? I've cleared EX6, EX7, and P9S-P11S without echo so I know what it takes to clear an extreme but I don't know if I could lead 7 sprouts through something like that in 60 minutes.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The arr primals are so simple at this point that if you’re awake and know how fights in XIV go, you’ll probably just understand the fights as they happen. I wouldn’t bother researching them all in case you get them in Burger King ro. Plus even synced you overpower everything but a few mechanics.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

yeah, purely mechanically speaking arr extremes are barely more than mildly spicy msq trials: poo poo will kill you but nothing is particularly complicated. there's virtually no party coordination or assigned positions or any of that stuff required. each fight has a gimmick or two and can be looked up on the fly if needed.

the biggest issues you'll run into with synced extremes is whether the other burger king kids all immediately leave the sprouts have a favorite flavour of crayon and whether they occupy critical roles, primarily tanks tho it helps if the healers in ifrit ex have a braincell to share

(to be entirely fair to the sprouts it's not really that they're dumb but rather that the entire rest of the game they've been playing does an incredibly poor job of preparing them for anything that actually has a modicum of difficulty)

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 27, 2024

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I would read up on the fiddly parts of a couple of ARR Extremes, because that's what you would most need to explain in ways beyond "kill these things when they spawn." Leviathan EX has the adds, especially the Wavetooth who will fear folks right off the boat and cannot be stunned once he starts casting so you need to burn it down and try to time a stun beforehand. Ramuh EX has orb management, the tank needs three orbs for a buff to survive the tankbuster and anyone who's tethered needs ONE player to get three orbs to stop the tether, so if too many people grab them willy-nilly those folks won't have any. But also the more orbs are out the more damage he does, I don't know enough about the fight to know how that's balanced.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah by the time you get to Shadowbringers the normal msq trials are all going to be tougher than ARR extremes in terms of complexity, it's just that by the time you get to ShB you're going to have had a smoother onramping experience leading up to that point. And some of them still stomped groups when everybody was running them new.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the funny thing about ramuh ex is it doesn't actually do anything new over the (hard) trial it just does it harder, faster, better, stronger. the damage is just ramped up to the point you are forced to deal with the mechanics. well, i guess the people feared by chaotic strike being seduced by his beard is new but tbh that's probably actually an improvement over the hard trial where you just get to sit there twiddling your thumbs for half a minute

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
any discussion of relative difficulty prior to 3.2 is complicated by how truly miserable it was to play the game outside of japan with the worse netcode

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mister Olympus posted:

any discussion of relative difficulty prior to 3.2 is complicated by how truly miserable it was to play the game outside of japan with the worse netcode

wasn't the difference between a JP NIN and an NA NIN something crazy like 5% because of mudra clipping

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

all that being said, if you do want to properly learn the arr/hw extremes i have had a blast throwing up/jumping into minimum ilv no echo parties in pf. ime they tend to fill pretty quickly since there's a bunch of people who have only done them unsynced and are up to try the real thing (or as close as we can get these days) without languishing two hours in the df queue

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass

Vermain posted:

wasn't the difference between a JP NIN and an NA NIN something crazy like 5% because of mudra clipping
I was a EU NIN for ARR and HW on the old canadian servers, mudras might as well been on GCD

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The Ribbon and the pirate bandana when it doesn't make the rest of the glam too busy.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 27, 2024

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

Mordiceius posted:

Question of the day - Do you have any "signature" glam items?

If my glam doesn't have a specific hat to wear then I'm otherwise always wearing the Inspector's Eyeglasses, if I'm a Paladin then I always use the House Fortemps Kite Shield and no matter the glam, everything is dyed Wine Red.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Draga posted:

If my glam doesn't have a specific hat to wear then I'm otherwise always wearing the Inspector's Eyeglasses, if I'm a Paladin then I always use the House Fortemps Kite Shield and no matter the glam, everything is dyed Wine Red.

Honey Yellow (especially on metal armor) and Dalamud Red are my defaults for those colors. Blue I play around a bit more, there's a few I really like but I use enough I'd have to go look them up to remember the names. Green is "I've decided I want green in this but I have to try everything to figure out which one I actually like".

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

Speaking of go-to glam items, this made me wonder. So I have a question for everyone here.

Question of the day - Do you have any "signature" glam items?

Storm Elite Skirt. https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/gearset/storm-elite-fending

It's like the only skirt/stockings combo that doesn't have a crazy design on either the skirt or the stockings which lets me use smaller footwear instead of thighboots. Absolute shame it isn't dyeable to get rid of the red stripe and it's tank only, but I main tank and like darker colors so those restrictions aren't too terrible to work around.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to switch Grand Companies in order to collect all the unique glam pieces?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

How much of a pain in the rear end is it to switch Grand Companies in order to collect all the unique glam pieces?

It's not a huge pain but it's incredibly tedious.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Your first switch is free, all subsequent switches are 50,000 gil. You also have a cooldown of 15 real life days before you can switch again.
You can only wear a Grand Company's glamour while you are enlisted in that Grand Company.
Your progress within each Grand Company is saved separately on your character, so whenever you switch back to a former one, it'll be exactly as you left it rank-wise, achievement progress-wise, AND company seal-wise.
You only have one Squadron shared between each Grand Company, though you'll have to unlock Second Lieutenant on a new Grand Company to resume their use.

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

Also note that while your squadron comes with you, levels and all, any GC quests related to squadrons will still need to be repeated if you want to hit max rank again.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I just need someone to answer this question plainly and in a straightforward fashion, because reddit is extremely confused and conflicted and all the information is old and out of date and I will not watch some sweaty nerd with a bad mic stutter his way through a video. If it's not important enough to type its not important enough to know.

Is hells kier EX soloable? Everyone's confused about the feather phase and nobody knows if its soloable or not, or the people who do know won't say. I suspect it isn't, but it would be the only EX that will never be soloable, which is weird and bad design.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A Moose posted:

I just need someone to answer this question plainly and in a straightforward fashion, because reddit is extremely confused and conflicted and all the information is old and out of date and I will not watch some sweaty nerd with a bad mic stutter his way through a video. If it's not important enough to type its not important enough to know.

Is hells kier EX soloable? Everyone's confused about the feather phase and nobody knows if its soloable or not, or the people who do know won't say. I suspect it isn't, but it would be the only EX that will never be soloable, which is weird and bad design.
I mean... Watch what you want, but googling "hells kier ex solo" immediately gives multiple videos where people do that

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

A Moose posted:

yes

also both party dad and moon mom are effectively unsoloable so it wouldn't be that weird (i've heard there's some movement tech to get past the meteors wall in the latter but it sounds tight)

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Right you need a minimum of two people for party dad as somebody has to stop the blade and sit out that part of the fight.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Martman posted:

I mean... Watch what you want, but googling "hells kier ex solo" immediately gives multiple videos where people do that

yeah and almost all of them have no commentary. solo strats are a pretty reasonable usecase for video content since you can just follow what the video does and its only like 5-6 minutes long. please be normal.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I feel like you should be able to solo party dad with Doton or Living Shadow but I tried a while back and it seems like it doesn't work

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Seat of Sacrifice might also be impossible, because you need a tank LB3 to survive, and I don't think you can invuln that attack.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tamba posted:

Seat of Sacrifice might also be impossible, because you need a tank LB3 to survive, and I don't think you can invuln that attack.

Yeah, A12S's big attack just does a poo poo-ton of damage, but SoS is coded to kill you if you don't LB3

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

hexwren posted:

she's at work right now, so i can't check hers, but my C&OQ setting was on maximum. reducing it to normal got me to 70 fps, minimum (which is actually kind of unnerving, seeing almost everyone just vanish from the gold saucer) only got me to 80-90.

her settings are probably on the default, whatever that is

should see if I've got some other nonsense running in the background that's eating up my cpu

continuing on from here, I've rerun the benchmark and fiddled with some things, but I got a whole lot of nothing out of it.

on top of that, some of the shadows look weird in motion (in screenshots captured from the benchmark, they look fine) and there's some definite screen tearing here and there and almost like weird halos around objects against the blue sky. (again, the screenshots look fine. maybe my eyes are broken)

I dropped the resolution to 1080 in the benchmark and got an average of 132 fps, but a low of 46 or something. still a big tear in the benchmark right as the big guy is pointing his finger at the map on the stone table, every time. Something is weighing this contraption down.

I checked my wife's ff14 install, where she's running it at a slightly odd resolution (2560 by 1440 windowed) but even on maximum, she's getting 100-105 fps generally, with the same quality and object limit settings as me. Same graphics card, same motherboard, same CPU, like I mentioned.

I dropped my game to that same windowed resolution and still got about 60 fps in-game.

I'm really getting frustrated, because there's something actively wrong here and nothing I'm seeing or doing seems to make a bit of difference.

I just built this computer four years ago, I really shouldn't be building another one already.

quote:

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail Benchmark
Tested on: 4/28/2024 1:20:42
Score: 10192
Average Frame Rate: 70.56962
Minimum Frame Rate: 40
Performance: High
-Easily capable of running the game. Should perform well, even at higher resolutions.
Loading Times by Scene
Scene #1 0.445 sec
Scene #2 2.693 sec
Scene #3 3.308 sec
Scene #4 3.229 sec
Scene #5 1.851 sec
Total Loading Time 11.526 sec

DAT:s20240428012042.dat

Screen Size: 3840x2160
Screen Mode: Full Screen
DirectX Version: 11
Graphics Presets: Maximum
Resolution
-Graphics Upscaling: NVIDIA DLSS (Deep Learning Super Sampling)
-Enable dynamic resolution.: Disabled
-Frame Rate Threshold: Activate when frame rate drops below 60fps.
-3D Resolution Scaling: 100
General
-LOD on Distant Objects: Disabled
-Enable dynamic grass interaction.: Enabled
-Real-time Reflections: Maximum
-Edge Smoothing (Anti-aliasing): TSCMAA
-Transparent Lighting Quality: High
-Grass Quality: High
-Parallax Occlusion: High
-Tessellation: High
-Glare: Standard
Shadows
-Self: Display
-Other NPCs: Display
Shadow Quality
-LOD on Character Shadows: Disabled
-LOD on Distant Object Shadows: Disabled
-Shadow Resolution: High - 2048p
-Shadow Cascading: Best
-Shadow Softening: Strongest
-Cast Shadows: Maximum
Texture Detail
-Texture Resolution: High
-Texture Filtering: Anisotropic
-Anisotropic Filtering: x16
Movement Physics
-Self: Full
-Other NPCs: Full
Effects
-Limb Darkening: Enabled
-Radial Blur: Enabled
-Screen Space Ambient Occlusion: GTAO: Quality
-Glare: Normal
-Water Refraction: Normal
Cinematic Cutscenes
-Depth of Field: Enabled

System
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (ver.10.0.19045 Build 19045)
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor
32691.902MB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Tamba posted:

The minimum for that is three players, the only invuln that works is reviving someone right as it goes off and then they revive the other two.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Changes to how encounters are designed is going to make soloing older extremes/savages increasingly difficult. This expansion we can solo most stormblood content but when dawntrail is out I doubt we'll be able to solve anywhere near as many Shadowbringers extreme/savages

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://twitter.com/Aklnik/status/1784425647600791984

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

hexwren posted:

continuing on from here, I've rerun the benchmark and fiddled with some things, but I got a whole lot of nothing out of it.

on top of that, some of the shadows look weird in motion (in screenshots captured from the benchmark, they look fine) and there's some definite screen tearing here and there and almost like weird halos around objects against the blue sky. (again, the screenshots look fine. maybe my eyes are broken)

I dropped the resolution to 1080 in the benchmark and got an average of 132 fps, but a low of 46 or something. still a big tear in the benchmark right as the big guy is pointing his finger at the map on the stone table, every time. Something is weighing this contraption down.

I can't speak about the differences between the two PCs, but for a couple of these I think I've got something.

First, the screen tearing. For some reason, the benchmark doesn't have a vsync setting, so if you're not using the sync options provided by your GPU there's nothing preventing screen tearing. The main client has the option, but for some reason they don't include it in the benchmark. It was also missing in the ShB and EW benchmarks (possibly others, but I never tried those), so maybe there's a specific reason for it.

Second, the weird shadows, depending on exactly how they're weird. They were weird on my PC too, in that they were, at a regular interval, kind of...pulsing, flickering (it's hard to describe) for a bit on the jungle scene for a bit until they settled down. My guess is it's the adaptive resolution kicking in and scaling around to compensate for the right framerate. Once it finds the right spot, the shadows stopped acting up and everything looked fine for me. (Except the screen tearing.) I could be wrong, or they might be weird in a different way for you, but that's what I thought it could be.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Been playing a lot of Ninja and finally getting a good handle on it and enjoying it a ton thanks to the Pilfer Mod. Decided to finally buckle down on the ARR relic I'd started years ago.

Totally worth it.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

hexwren posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have the OS level variable refresh rate setting enabled (under settings -> display -> graphics -> variable refresh rate) on Windows 10/11? FFXIV with multiple high refresh rate monitors that support gsync/freesync has always run into bad performance problems for me if this was enabled alongside the GPU vendor specific setting which also enabled these settings. Disabling that and leaving the vendor specific setting for keeping gsync/freesync enabled has often fixed most frame rate issues for me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Onean posted:

I can't speak about the differences between the two PCs, but for a couple of these I think I've got something.

First, the screen tearing. For some reason, the benchmark doesn't have a vsync setting, so if you're not using the sync options provided by your GPU there's nothing preventing screen tearing. The main client has the option, but for some reason they don't include it in the benchmark. It was also missing in the ShB and EW benchmarks (possibly others, but I never tried those), so maybe there's a specific reason for it.

Second, the weird shadows, depending on exactly how they're weird. They were weird on my PC too, in that they were, at a regular interval, kind of...pulsing, flickering (it's hard to describe) for a bit on the jungle scene for a bit until they settled down. My guess is it's the adaptive resolution kicking in and scaling around to compensate for the right framerate. Once it finds the right spot, the shadows stopped acting up and everything looked fine for me. (Except the screen tearing.) I could be wrong, or they might be weird in a different way for you, but that's what I thought it could be.

they definitely pulsed and flickered, especially on the slow pan up the WOL's front when they first appear on the boat in close-up - they also appeared to have slight chromatic weirdness, like the shadows had strange rainbow-oilslick edges in certain frames.

also, yeah, now that I think about it, one of the earlier suggestions in the thread for troubleshooting this was to turn off vsync, which I had completely forgotten.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Out of curiosity, do you have the OS level variable refresh rate setting enabled (under settings -> display -> graphics -> variable refresh rate) on Windows 10/11? FFXIV with multiple high refresh rate monitors that support gsync/freesync has always run into bad performance problems for me if this was enabled alongside the GPU vendor specific setting which also enabled these settings. Disabling that and leaving the vendor specific setting for keeping gsync/freesync enabled has often fixed most frame rate issues for me.

it is not enabled.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
For go-to glam items I quite like the platinum earrings of xyz. They're big colorful baubles for big colorful outfits. All classes can wear each color too, so that's a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Met one Kokkol Dankkol. This guy rules. Can we trade Cid for him?