Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Trell... :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Epilogue

Update Soundtrack - Blue Billy

To the rest of the Sector, of course, you were a hero.

It wasn't quite clear as to the role that you'd played in stopping the Viriax invasion, since Trell wasn't public knowledge. But it had been pretty clear to everyone that you'd been in the thick of things throughout the excursion into the Charon system and at the final battle. You couldn't hit sublight without somebody praising you and offering to buy you a drink. And it made you sick to your stomach.

You did accept at least one offer though, Aunt Juno was probably the only person in the Sector besides you who knew the whole story. Or at least as close to it as anyone was going to get.

As usual, the two of you picked some no-name dive bar in a quiet little station that no one had ever heard of to get tanked in. You maybe indulged a little bit more than usual. A lot more.

The conversation turned to Trell pretty quickly. Juno was as sympathetic as she could be, but more importantly brought up the point that the AI wouldn't want you to waste the rest of your life mourning for her. To which you responded:

"What rest of my life? I don't know where to go from here."

You'd already made the decision that you weren't going home to the Inner Sectors a long time ago. You'd made enough money hauling goods to dangerous places that you could retire already, but then you'd just be bored. It felt like you'd been fighting the whole galaxy and now that the war was won, you still wanted to fight. A rebel without a cause.

As you glumly slumped into the table, Juno thought for a bit before speaking up.

"Well kiddo, if you really need something to do with yourself, I hear that they're working on stabilizing that gate that Trell made. Gotta be something out there for you in Charon, I reckon."

It wasn't the worst idea. You never did get a chance to explore the place fully, what with the Viriax and all. And your skills would be useful, wheeling and dealing with whatever isolated settlements were out there or helping to set up new ones. And if you had to blast a few pirates or Viriax remnants along the way, well... you weren't exactly opposed. At the very least, heading out to Charon and making yourself busy would give you something to do while you worked your way through fully processing everything that had happened. You hugged Aunt Juno, or at least tried to, before heading back to the ship to nap off the alcohol.

You woke up to the worst hangover that you've ever had, not helped by the pulsating red glow of the system's star. But for once in your life you were feeling good about it. It would pass, and then you could get on with the business of living.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 6, 2023

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

So yeah, that's the story. I think it's a bit too heavily weighted towards the front end and the Viriax could have been more holistically integrated throughout but it works. Mostly because it's really about getting to know and then saying goodbye to Trell.

If people really want to see other stuff, I can try and provide, but honestly the game was growing pretty thin by the end as is (I didn't have enough meaningfully interesting content to do that final Free Play Update after all) and i'm only at the Deep Horizon and T5 gear so it would take a lot of grinding for me to fight Pirate Lords or w/e.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 5, 2022

OutofSight
May 4, 2017
Nice work.

I only ever played the successor game Rebel Galaxy Outlaw, which has a lot more classic Freelancer/Privateer dogfights in space fighters. The music is really the interesting part, giving it a wild west flavor instead of the usual electronic music.

I don't know, but would it be interesting to show off some of the post-game super ships like the Blackgate dreadnought?

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

OutofSight posted:

I don't know, but would it be interesting to show off some of the post-game super ships like the Blackgate dreadnought?

The reason I didn't try to spring for any of the Dreadnaughts, apart from taking millions of credits more to grind, is that most of the gameplay is similar to the Deep Horizon but with greater focus on broadside lasers. Technically you have a smaller profile for the Deep Horizon to be exposed to enemy fire, but it's slow enough that you're taking hits like a Dreadnaught anyway.

I've said some variant on it in the thread before but, I really feel like the only big difference in playstyle is whether you stay at Light Frigate or lower or not for increased mobility. Everything else pretty much just plays the same but with more or less guns.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Jossar posted:

I've said some variant on it in the thread before but, I really feel like the only big difference in playstyle is whether you stay at Light Frigate or lower or not for increased mobility. Everything else pretty much just plays the same but with more or less guns.

oh hey rebel galaxy! a fun and cool game

this was my experience as well; I spent a lot of time in a Sturville because it was fast and hit pretty hard, but I think for the endgame I ground out the rep and upgraded into a Minotaur as it hit harder, soaked a lot more fire, and still kept some moderate amount of mobility. It's probably the only exception to the small-but-fast vs big-but-slow ship split since it straddles the line of just maneuverable enough and just heavily gunned enough.

(I love the Minotaur, in case that wasn't obvious :v: )