Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Aside from the radioactive jizz the thing I remember about Reign is it did this thing where he's dour and moody as hell outside of the suit but as soon as he puts it on he's quipping and joking like old times and I'm not sure if it works.

Its a standard superhero trope: the mask being different from the civilian identity but with spider-man and the tone of the rest of the comic it feels kinda off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

massive spider posted:

Aside from the radioactive jizz the thing I remember about Reign is it did this thing where he's dour and moody as hell outside of the suit but as soon as he puts it on he's quipping and joking like old times and I'm not sure if it works.

Its a standard superhero trope: the mask being different from the civilian identity but with spider-man and the tone of the rest of the comic it feels kinda off.

Weirdly enough though, that sounds absolutely accurate to early Peter Parker being kind of an rear end in a top hat, but after putting on the suit he's the quipping tricky friendly neighbourhood Spider-man everyone knows and loves.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They’ve toned this all down since the 90’s but a really big part of early/”modern” Spider-Man that stopped being a component of his character past the ultimates was that Peter almost INSTANTLY became a bully and used his newfound powers to ruin Flash Thomson’s life, break him up his girlfriend, trash his car, etc. There are literal years where 17-year old Spider-Man is basically a terrorist, webbing taxi cabs to the roof of JJJ’s house and what-not, until he hits college and starts working with The Lizard on gene therapy and mutation stuff where he sees what’s happening to him and how sad it would have made Uncle Ben and then from like 22-26 Spider-Man really comes into his own becomes the webhead we all look up to.

This component piece of the Spider-Man DNA is totally excised in current Spider-Man, which I guess makes sense because the “Evil Spider-Man” well was eternally tainted by Dancin’ Tobey, so now we’ve got 17-18 year old Peter already as an Avengers level superhero taking on multiple Avengers and surviving (something I wish the films had made a bigger deal out of and potentially show the plane ride where Clint is making fun of everyone for getting beaten by him “you guys know he’s still in diapers right?” “Tony’s sticky little pet sure hung you guys out to fry, huh?”

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Breadallelogram posted:

I don't think I've ever watched any Starz original programming.

Having a look through what they actually made, Ash vs Evil Dead, Black Sails, Party Down and Spartacus were all great.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I actually liked that all that BS was glossed over. It was nice to have a SpiderMan who, in the presence of other heroes, went to work to put his talents to use for the common good rather than immediately proved the Power Corrupts poo poo.

Plus, with the way he was used in the MCU, there wasn't really space for him to have those growing pains. MCU Pete was hampered by the unintended consequences of his actions hurting people (like Liz) despite his good intentions.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Reign has one cool thing that I liked, which is that Spider-Man has to basically pull a Raid/Dredd and fight his way up a skyscraper filled with all his old baddies. Near the top he faces an opponent (I believe it's the Scorpion, it's been soooooo long since I read this and as people have noted, it pretty much sucks so I never reread it and I only remember the vaguest details) who confronts a very battered Spider-Man and goes on a rant about how upgraded he is, he's super-powerful now, he has all these new abilities, Spidey doesn't stand a chance, and Spider-Man says "you know what you can't do though?" and kicks him out a window to his death and says "...fly." Pretty good one liner if I still remember it after all this time.

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
Just watched this tonight with the family now that it's streaming, and we were laughing it up hearing tagalog and I think MJ was throwing pandesal at Peter 3.

EDIT: They even had pan over of the Weapons of Moroland decoration that every other filipino house has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_Moroland#:~:text=%22Weapons%20of%20Moroland%22%20is%20a,considered%20a%20pop%20culture%20icon.

They just needed a big wooden spoon and fork on the wall.

AgentHaiTo fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Mar 19, 2022

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gaius Marius posted:

Stop what you're doing and watch Spartacus

This Spartacus is one of my top shows of all time.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

This Spartacus is one of my top shows of all time.

Needs a caveat that you need to hold your nose through the first two episodes because they're just awful and nothing like the rest of the show.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
If you can get past a first slow season, Black Sails is also an amazing show.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Spider-Man: Life Story is excellent as a "what if Spidey aged normally each decade".

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

AgentHaiTo posted:

Just watched this tonight with the family now that it's streaming, and we were laughing it up hearing tagalog and I think MJ was throwing pandesal at Peter 3.

EDIT: They even had pan over of the Weapons of Moroland decoration that every other filipino house has: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weapons_of_Moroland#:~:text=%22Weapons%20of%20Moroland%22%20is%20a,considered%20a%20pop%20culture%20icon.

They just needed a big wooden spoon and fork on the wall.

Or a painting of the last supper

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

They’ve toned this all down since the 90’s but a really big part of early/”modern” Spider-Man that stopped being a component of his character past the ultimates was that Peter almost INSTANTLY became a bully and used his newfound powers to ruin Flash Thomson’s life, break him up his girlfriend, trash his car, etc. There are literal years where 17-year old Spider-Man is basically a terrorist, webbing taxi cabs to the roof of JJJ’s house and what-not, until he hits college and starts working with The Lizard on gene therapy and mutation stuff where he sees what’s happening to him and how sad it would have made Uncle Ben and then from like 22-26 Spider-Man really comes into his own becomes the webhead we all look up to.

This component piece of the Spider-Man DNA is totally excised in current Spider-Man, which I guess makes sense because the “Evil Spider-Man” well was eternally tainted by Dancin’ Tobey, so now we’ve got 17-18 year old Peter already as an Avengers level superhero taking on multiple Avengers and surviving (something I wish the films had made a bigger deal out of and potentially show the plane ride where Clint is making fun of everyone for getting beaten by him “you guys know he’s still in diapers right?” “Tony’s sticky little pet sure hung you guys out to fry, huh?”

There was a time when Steve Ditko was trying to use Peter Parker as something of a self-insert for his own political beliefs. It wasn't just that power corrupted, but it separated Pete from the lesser people that for a time he felt content with just ignoring. It's endearing, if only as framed as part of a larger character arc:

Issue #38 (and Ditko's last issue)

Decades later it gets a callback as being a lovely phase he went through in college:

In another universe, Ditko's later Randian superheroes could have been decent stories if they had actual empathetic people editing them, but instead read as some weirdo loner yelling at the world.

je1 healthcare fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 21, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Accurate depiction of Randians.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Mr A also doing the spider-man hand there.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Mr.A owns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

Outlander and Power are pretty popular. Of course, I think most people watch Outlander on Netflix, but still.

There are like 6 Power shows lol who watches it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Shageletic posted:

There are like 6 Power shows lol who watches it

I thought for a moment you meant Powers, the Brian Michael Bendis book, which should have a good tv show adaptation. Then I remembered they did do an adaptation but it went out somewhere no one watched it (PlayStation TV or something??), so it quietly went away again. It’s like an object permanence experiment.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

The_Doctor posted:

I thought for a moment you meant Powers, the Brian Michael Bendis book, which should have a good tv show adaptation. Then I remembered they did do an adaptation but it went out somewhere no one watched it (PlayStation TV or something??), so it quietly went away again. It’s like an object permanence experiment.

I’ve never seen it, but I know Sharlto Copley was in it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

...anything he can claim possession of?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tobey should’ve been spidey 1 and holland spidey 3. Like, you’re already bossing these guys around, just take the hit on the numbering dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Kamen Rider rules. Holland is V3.