Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

After beating Ides of March/Brisca Cove/the loving insane aim veterans in the rich people apartment floor map, I went to try some of the SWAT 4 port maps on the in-game workshop and those are just head and shoulders above the RoN maps in terms of good design and quality. RoN is a great engine for SWAT gameplay. It's just got a terrible, terrible set of base maps and from the posts in here, the plot sounds like it doesn't get any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009
The AI mod made a huge difference to the seal team esque sharpshooter bad guys, but will give the old swat 4 maps an install and see how they compare too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How do mods work with multi-player? Does everyone need to have the exact same mod list?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The game's glacial pace of updates is really lovely, and the devs latest news letter talks about very incremental updates with nothing major going on.

quote:

Vol.68 Development Briefing summary points:
(not a changelog)
Ongoing 1.0 bugfixing/patches for Winter 2024 with Hotfix #4 arriving shortly.
Both DLC 1 and the 1.1 update are planned for Spring 2024.
DLC 1, currently named "Home Invasion," will be free for Supporter Edition owners, as originally intended.
DLC 2 is planned for Summer 2024.
The 1.2 update is planned for Fall 2024.
All of these DLCs are planned to come with free new weapons for the base game, one DLC-exclusive player outfit, and new maps.
DLCs will also be accompanied by bugfixes for the base game.
Updates 1.1 and 1.2 will include additions, improvements, and bugfixes to the game.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/1144200/eventcomments/7260435303106681192/

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Devs have a slow update schedule as they have to wait for new guns to be released irl before they can be added to the pile of identical guns in game.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

It's not like I have time to play game anymore but I've been eyeing Ready or Not for a long time now and I was very excited about it when it was in development as the swat games are some of my favorites. However, I came across this video

https://youtu.be/-oTfH90psC4?si=8jCWIFIb2eP9iuLe

Which reminded me about why I love SWAT 4 in particular. RoN gives me a bit of the same vibes of gritty realism but I get the feeling it's world building is only similar to SWAT 4 on its surface and that it tries a little too hard to be dark and edgy. I would have loved to just have a series of unconnected missions with some semi-realistic scenarios. But RoN, it seems, has many more exotic locations, plus the whole over-arching story of "THEY'RE ALL PEDOPHILES" which really puts me off.

SWAT 4 had the Children of Taronne basement, sure, but that was between more mundane gas station robberies and raids on illegal gambling halls. Suspects were motivated by greed, poverty, mental illness, drugs etc, not conspiracies. Maybe none of this matters much when playing and I guess stuff like mass shootings were still considered unusual when SWAT 4 released. What do you guys who've played it think?

A lot of people have complained about the AI, and while some aspects of it seem wild (firing through obstacles before seeing you) I do kind of like having to make that split second decision about whether someone is about to pull a gun on you or not. And perpetrators have On the other hand it seems you not very penalized for just gunning people down as long as they're not civilians?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
It's a cool game, but AI is annoyingly OP at times and the menu level is annoying af. I still bought the supporter edition.

Cabal Ties
Feb 28, 2004
Yam Slacker
Yeah ironically I played a lot more in early access cos the opening menu level thing is one of the most painfully pointless additions I think I’ve ever experienced in a video game and a lot of the weird poo poo people have been talking bout with these developers suddenly made sense

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
fwiw you can ignore a lot of the overarching story stuff, it mostly only exists in the briefings which you have to go out of your way to engage with

though there are some levels where you end up in some double secret sex trafficking basement and it's definitely a bit eye rolly and distasteful so i totally get not wanting to deal with that

e: definitely download an ai mod though, there are plenty of good ones, it takes two seconds to install, and it makes a world of difference

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What is improved by the AI mod and which one?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

These were discussed earlier; the specifics of what they change are on the mod pages. All of the mods are sort of blunt instruments and kind of rough, but the most common revised element is decreasing enemy "morale", i.e. how hard it is for them to surrender and how likely they are to behave aggressively, and reducing their accuracy, usually to varying degrees depending on the mission/enemy. Right now enemy AI is basically inhumanly aggressive and accurate in all settings- everyone from the kid hitting a gas station to the psychotic armored paramilitary group member behaves like something out of Terminator.

My understanding from commentaries elsewhere is that there are a number of other underlying problems with the AI, including that when an enemy NPC is in a "ready" state (stationary and partially alerted), their time from detecting a SWAT to firing is below the normal human reaction threshold. A fair amount of other AI elements are similarly primitive and overtuned- it appears almost every surrendering enemy will eventually pull a backup weapon and attack again if not tied down fast enough, and they seem to lack the inputs into that decision that you'd assume would be in place (like whether there's a gun pointed right at them).

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Feb 25, 2024

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

fwiw you can ignore a lot of the overarching story stuff, it mostly only exists in the briefings which you have to go out of your way to engage with

though there are some levels where you end up in some double secret sex trafficking basement and it's definitely a bit eye rolly and distasteful so i totally get not wanting to deal with that

e: definitely download an ai mod though, there are plenty of good ones, it takes two seconds to install, and it makes a world of difference

That's good to know, I wasn't sure how much on the nose it was.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
https://www.nexusmods.com/readyornot/mods/3906?tab=description

A new mod allows AI SWAT team members in multiplayer. The host is their leader, but helps a bunch. Now if you only play with one friend, you can still have that backup for overwatch or for securing rooms. It's a bit janky, because you can't modify their loadout as of now, but we just played three maps and they worked otherwise fine. A big help if you aren't bringing 5 irl friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gabrielite
Apr 24, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/readyornot/mods/3906?tab=description

A new mod allows AI SWAT team members in multiplayer. The host is their leader, but helps a bunch. Now if you only play with one friend, you can still have that backup for overwatch or for securing rooms. It's a bit janky, because you can't modify their loadout as of now, but we just played three maps and they worked otherwise fine. A big help if you aren't bringing 5 irl friends!

A bit belated, but I just wanted to say thanks for posting this. The mod's title really does bury the lede of having bots fill in MP slots so it would of been easy to miss. And since I usually only have 1 or maybe 2 friends to play with at a time, this is perfect for us. :cheers: