Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

That's right everyone, it's that time of year again! Where we gather 'round the television and watch the surreal stop-motion garbage our boomer parents watched back when they were baked teenagers in the 60s! Such classics as:

-Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, the origin story of Santa Claus, back when he was voiced by Mickey Rooney and infiltrated Communist East Germany to bring children the joy of cheap plastic junk made by slaves!

-Jack Frost, where the spirit of frostbite assumes human form to find love and learn the joy of fiat currency!

-Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, the one where Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer battles an evil snow wizard bent on stealing Frosty the Snowman's hat to create a snow-army, aided by Reindeer Andy Dick!

-The one that has Leprechauns in it for some reason?

Discuss your vague fever-dream memories of a simpler, more jerkily animated time in the Christmases of yore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Rankin rear end

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Heat Meister caused global warming because he wants to melt the north poll.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Yaldabaoth posted:

Heat Meister caused global warming because he wants to melt the north poll.

Yeah Heat Miser kinda won that round.

...sometimes I wonder how the Miser Brothers fit into the larger shared cosmology. Like how does Snow Miser relate to Jack Frost? Is he a sub-contractor to Father Winter?

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

Yeah Heat Miser kinda won that round.

Santa tried moving to the south pole because it's on land but now it's covered in thawed-out eldritch horrors that were frozen millions of years ago.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I like their version of the Hobbit. Great soundtrack.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Wow, those Rankin-Bass characters made a banner for the OP!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I like their version of the Hobbit. Great soundtrack.

I get the feeling "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" got played a lot on the floor of the animation sweatshop

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Wow, those Rankin-Bass characters made a banner for the OP!

I admit, I reflexively read this in my head in Yukon Cornelius' voice

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Its the Heat Miser's world. We are just living in it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_UR61itZxo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Asterite34 posted:

That's right everyone, it's that time of year again! Where we gather 'round the television and watch the surreal stop-motion garbage our boomer parents watched back when they were baked teenagers in the 60s! Such classics as:

-Santa Claus Is Coming To Town, the origin story of Santa Claus, back when he was voiced by Mickey Rooney and infiltrated Communist East Germany to bring children the joy of cheap plastic junk made by slaves!

-Jack Frost, where the spirit of frostbite assumes human form to find love and learn the joy of fiat currency!

-Rudolph and Frosty's Christmas in July, the one where Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer battles an evil snow wizard bent on stealing Frosty the Snowman's hat to create a snow-army, aided by Reindeer Andy Dick!

-The one that has Leprechauns in it for some reason?

Discuss your vague fever-dream memories of a simpler, more jerkily animated time in the Christmases of yore

i always liked those. there a good place to watch them? i can find the weirder ones on youtube.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Asterite34 posted:

I get the feeling "Where There's a Whip, There's a Way" got played a lot on the floor of the animation sweatshop

Yeah, it's a banger

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Recently watched The Last Unicorn for the first time in over 30 years. I heard the songs by America and was transported back the ‘80s for a brief moment. poo poo owned.

Rankin-Bass: more than just stop motion animation.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
These specials were early examples of America outsourcing animation to Asia. They were made in Japan which I guess makes them anime

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Testikles posted:

These specials were early examples of America outsourcing animation to Asia. They were made in Japan which I guess makes them anime

You can trace a direct line of descent from the Twas the Night Before Christmas adaptation (with the smug reddit atheist mouse who ruins Christmas) all the way to the founding of Studio Ghibli.

Osamu Tezuka's company did the animation for Frosty the Snowman!

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Rudolph: and now Santa, for my final technique!

SHINING NOSE OVERDRIVE!

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Testikles posted:

Rudolph: and now Santa, for my final technique!

SHINING NOSE OVERDRIVE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9S7w7sq5d4

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

rudolph the red nosed racist

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

For anyone with cable, Fox Family or ABC Family or FreeForm or whatever the gently caress it's called these days is currently playing Frosty the Snowman a Christmas special that moreso even than The Little Drummer Boy, summarizes the life and times of Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Jingle and Jangle are the Heat Miser and Snow Miser, its a Christmas conspiracy.