Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Recently finished The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) by Katie Mack. Really enjoyed it.

Now working on Clive Barker's Weaveworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

a mysterious cloak posted:

Recently finished The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking) by Katie Mack. Really enjoyed it.

I’d like a review of weaveworld when you finish. I read it when I was around 12 and liked it and have thought about revisiting it recently but am a little afraid I won’t like it as an old man.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

a mysterious cloak posted:

man, it's been ages since i've read barker

i read some of his books of blood, one of the stories that i remember had a haunted pig at a juvie

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Waking Up: A Guide to Spirituality Without Religion. It was ok. A lot of sciencey brain stuff. The last chapter was about fake gurus and awesome drugs which was nice.

I'm currently reading Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom. Another book based on brain science. I read it a long time ago but don't remember any of it. In fact I don't remember most books I read.

I like non-fiction books. A lot of what you might call "self-help" but not like Tony Robbins "Just think positive!" stuff. I like the physical/chemical science behind things. For fiction I have next to my bed "If It Bleeds" by Stephen King. His latest short story book. I LOVE King short story books. Just long enough to keep my attention span and make me feel like I accomplished something by finishing it.

Check out 'Why Buddhism is True' by Robert Wright.

Corn Glizzy posted:

White Fragility

What did you think?

OMFG FURRY posted:

most recently Poisoner in Chief: Sidney Gottlieb and the CIA Search for Mind Control which made it pretty clear that there never would've been a hippie movement if it weren't for the CIA

i recommend reading CHAOS:Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties afterward for the speedrun any% path to tinfoil paranoia about the CIA

CHAOS is a must-read!!

I just finished 'How I Built This' by Guy Raz, a compilation of all his podcast material in book form. I've never listened to his podcast and I'm not sure I ever will but I really like learning about business through stories about business.

Up next is The Dark Tower I audiobook

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

dee eight posted:

to kill a mocking bird for the 5th or 6th time

People love this book but all I see is Atticus Finch is a pathetic appeaser who is unwilling to actually create conflict in his community in order to stamp out the pernicious racism which underlays the foundation of every facet of life in Maycomb.

The fact that he allows Mrs Dubose some peace despite the fact that she a virulent racist is unconscionable and a confirmation of how the white moderate is the true enemy of social progress.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

mkvltra posted:

Check out 'Why Buddhism is True' by Robert Wright.

I'm listening to the audiobook right now. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

I will disprove Buddhism!