Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape From Noise

This is a thread for sharing fun little music facts/triva/points of interest.

For starters...DID YOU KNOW that Kool Keith and Ice T formed a group called Analog Brothers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog_Brothers
The final track on their album is called Analog Outro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckVFvUmeUT4

Is a parody of this cheesy R&B hit from 1977 by the very unfortunately named group The Floaters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZklwTGZutc

Did You Know that Gibby Haynes of The Butthole Surfers performed the vocals for the Ministry hit Jesus Built My Hotrod?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCh9OhDiCI

Okay fine, smart guy! But did you know that it's probably sorta based on a Butthole Surfers song when they got him to do vocals drunk off his rear end?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxohROgPAU8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

The minor fifth (C and F#) was considered satanic for centuries.

cruft

The western scale is out of tune with itself. The tuning was was designed to be equally out of tune no matter what your base pitch is. This is how we're able to change keys without re-tuning everything.

The tuning was independently invented in Europe and China at about the same time. You get the next semitone (half-step) by multiplying the current note's frequency by the twelfth root of two, which will seem obvious to anyone who understands sound and arithmetic, but took hundreds of thousands of years for humanity to realize.

It's possible to have a better in tune scale, though. Instruments that only play in one key, notably many bagpipes, use such a tuning. Also the musician Jacob Collier appears to be reintroducing properly-tuned scales, along with changing keys a lot, by constantly and instantaneously retuning everything through the song. If you've never heard any of his stuff, I suggest starting with "Moon River".

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 21, 2021

cruft

There's a tune called the "Dies Irae" that's sort of a musical in-joke composers have been using for hundreds of years.

The most recent occurrence of it I can think of is the voice in the woods in "Into the Unknown" from Frozen 2. But you can read the Wikipedia page on "Dies Irae" and see dozens of other very popular songs that use it.

cruft

"The Rite of Spring" caused a riot when it premiered in 1913. Well, started a riot. It's possible the riot was going to happen one way or another, and the ballet was just a pretext for the agitators.

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
Do you like Gary Numan? He’s a pop star, right, but he’s got a pilot’s license. Imagine that!

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
cruft

There is no standard tuning system for Balinese Gamelan bands. This means each instrument must be tuned to the band itself. But I'm not talking about tuning a single note: there's no standard scale either. Each note on each instrument must be tuned to the band.

This page has some examples you can listen to!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
You're not allowed to copywrite a song title.

Buttchocks

The ten staff lines in a standard musical score represent the ten hills of Rome.

Buttchocks

Sucking air through a brass instrument is awesome and tastes like your favorite candy.

Buttchocks

Vivaldi's brother-in-law worked in a print shop, and provided all the parchment that Vivaldi wrote his music on.

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

The minor fifth (C and F#) was considered satanic for centuries.

Not true!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MhwGnq4N9o

Finger Prince

Everything you learned about music theory in school is racist AF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3quGh7pJA

(this is a long one but worth a watch, I'm so glad my music teacher was an old jazz trumpeter and didn't teach things the way it seems a lot of people get taught music)

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

The western scale is out of tune with itself. The tuning was was designed to be equally out of tune no matter what your base pitch is. This is how we're able to change keys without re-tuning everything.

The tuning was independently invented in Europe and China at about the same time. You get the next semitone (half-step) by multiplying the current note's frequency by the twelfth root of two, which will seem obvious to anyone who understands sound and arithmetic, but took hundreds of thousands of years for humanity to realize.

It's possible to have a better* in tune scale, though. Instruments that only play in one key, notably many bagpipes, use such a tuning. Also the musician Jacob Collier appears to be reintroducing properly-tuned* scales, along with changing keys a lot, by constantly and instantaneously retuning everything through the song. If you've never heard any of his stuff, I suggest starting with "Moon River".

*differently tuned, not necessarily "better"

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 21, 2021

FutonForensic

the drummer of Diarrhea Planet, Ian Bush, is a member of the Bush bean family

Escape From Noise

FutonForensic posted:

the drummer of Diarrhea Planet, Ian Bush, is a member of the Bush bean family

I almost saw these guys at The Empty Bottle with another guy in my brewing class in Chicago but it didn't happen for some reason.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

cruft

Whoa!

Thanks!

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

*differently tuned, not necessarily "better"

I'm willing to argue that a just scale is more in tune than an equal-tempered one: the synthetic overtones generated by an interval just don't exist due to the perfect integer multiplication of the base frequency.

That this isn't necessarily going to be judged superior by a listener, so if your argument is that "better" is subjective, then, well, agreed.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

(this is a long one but worth a watch, I'm so glad my music teacher was an old jazz trumpeter and didn't teach things the way it seems a lot of people get taught music)

These videos are awesome. I never got deep enough into what was called theory to get into this. My understanding of "music theory" is pretty much just mathematical. What this video is calling "music theory" is probably what I would have learned if I hadn't changed majors, but it seems more like "music practice" to me.

E: finished video, it was interesting, I guess I'm glad I never got to take harmonic counterpoint for more reasons than I initially thought. Now I'm thinking of getting into Indian musical structure because my composition professor couldn't stop talking about it and, well, seems interesting.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2021

biosterous

Finger Prince posted:

thank you this fuckin ruled and i learned good things

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

I'm willing to argue that a just scale is more in tune than an equal-tempered one: the synthetic overtones generated by an interval just don't exist due to the perfect integer multiplication of the base frequency.

That this isn't necessarily going to be judged superior by a listener, so if your argument is that "better" is subjective, then, well, agreed.

He did another video that's semi related to the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUs-84NAAU
Adam Neely is fantastic for his really in-depth technical analysis of music stuff. I disagree with his approach sometimes, but I fully respect the reasons why and his knowledge and expertise.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

He did another video that's semi related to the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUs-84NAAU
Adam Neely is fantastic for his really in-depth technical analysis of music stuff. I disagree with his approach sometimes, but I fully respect the reasons why and his knowledge and expertise.

Yeah, this rubs me the wrong way, after watching a really nice teardown from the same dude of why it's a mistake to try to apply western harmony to non-western music. If I tried playing a B♭ major scale on my Uilleann pipes, it would sound horrendous. It's disingenuous to tune the piano to a Pythagorean scale rooted in A and then complain about an F#maj chord sounding bad.

Actually it's even worse than that, he roots the just tuning in A and then plays a song in C. I know he's not an idiot about this stuff, so I have to infer that he's deliberately playing in the wrong key to drive home the "superiority" of equal temperament for playing the type of music written for that tuning, and it makes me mad!

Here, listen to Táimse im' Chodladh by somebody not deliberately using the wrong tuning for the key the piece is played in. This instrument is in just intonation, not too far off from the Pythagorean being dissed on by that video.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 21, 2021

Finger Prince

cruft posted:

Yeah, this rubs me the wrong way, after watching a really nice teardown from the same dude of why it's a mistake to try to apply western harmony to non-western music. If I tried playing a B♭ major scale on my Uilleann pipes, it would sound horrendous. It's disingenuous to tune the piano to a Pythagorean scale rooted in A and then complain about an F#maj chord sounding bad.

Actually it's even worse than that, he roots the just tuning in A and then plays a song in C. I know he's not an idiot about this stuff, so I have to infer that he's deliberately playing in the wrong key to drive home the "superiority" of equal temperament for playing the type of music written for that tuning, and it makes me mad!

Here, listen to Táimse im' Chodladh by somebody not deliberately using the wrong tuning for the key the piece is played in. This instrument is in just intonation, not too far off from the Pythagorean being dissed on by that video.

Yeah I get what you're saying but that's why I only said it was tangentially related. That was more a response to the kinda pseudoscience stuff about tuning out there on the interwebs.
He even says that yeah some of the stuff is fine in isolation, like you say with an individual bagpipe for example being tuned internally to itself, but that in turn is limiting because now it becomes more difficult to play that instrument with others that are tuned differently. The even temperament scale we use is designed for flexibility, not perfect mathematic symmetry or specific instrument design. That's why I asterisk your "better" statement, because even leaving aside the actual note sounds, flexibility is also "better". Like, is OSX a better operating system than Windows? Probably. But is it a pain in the butt to transfer files between that and the file system that basically every other computer uses? Yes. So is it really better? Yes in isolation, less so when you want to play with others.

cruft

Well, depends on what other instruments you have, but I guess we're not going to arrive at a universal truth for tuning here in EFN's music trivia thread 😉

Anyway, here's more music trivia: Stevie Ray Vaughan used to super glue his fingernails on. He played with such heavy strings that it made his nails come off.

Ass-penny

Finger Prince posted:

holy buckets, thanks for that link. I learned a lot from it. God that second video of his you posted was rough tho.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Finger Prince

rear end-penny posted:

holy buckets, thanks for that link. I learned a lot from it. God that second video of his you posted was rough tho.

He gets frustratingly worse, but he does have some hits.

Twenty Four

cruft posted:

Anyway, here's more music trivia: Stevie Ray Vaughan used to super glue his fingernails on. He played with such heavy strings that it made his nails come off.

Also true about tons of baseball pitchers. Or at least super glue them back together if not "on". The recent "no foreign substances" rule for pitchers has made this more difficult. Imagine what we would miss out on if music had a "no foreign substances" rule, lol.

Ugly In The Morning
“flagpole sitter”, despite being amazing, is somehow the worst track on the LP “where have all the merrymakers gone”

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Ugly In The Morning
if you have a friend who gets into modular synths, it’s recommended that you spend six weeks in a gym working on smiling and nodding AT A MINIMUM

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Buttchocks

Bows for string instruments are traditionally made from Pernambuco wood, which grows in the rainforests of Brazil. The trees have become increasingly endangered due to overharvesting and burning, and many artisanal bow-makers have private stockpiles that they keep in secret storage spaces. There is some effort being made at sustainable planting, but carbon-fiber bows continue to grow in popularity, because they burn hotter and leave less residual ash. The bow hairs are still from horses, afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
It's a fairly well-known fact that Irving Berlin, who only knew how to play the black keys on piano, ordered a special piano with a crank that moved all the strings back and forth so he could play the same keys but change the pitch. But it's not so well-known that the only words he could type on a typewriter were 'gently caress you'. Sadly, modern technology has still not developed a solution, and millions of sufferers of Irving Berlin Syndrome take to internet comment threads to express their frustration every single day.